¹ New Zune Promotion Campaign Launches - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 11-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default New Zune Promotion Campaign Launches

http://zuneinsider.com/archive/2007/11/01/you-make-it-you-new-zune-ad-campaign-launches-tonight.aspx

"Tonight, November 1, the new Zune Ad campaign kicks off. The multimillion dollar campaign, will include print, TV, online banner ads, and a new site: Zune Journey. The tagline for the new campaign is “You Make it You,” i.e., your Zune is brought to life by what you put in it: your music, pictures, videos, etc. For the new campaign, we’re partnering with T.A.G., a recently launched division of McCann Worldgroup SF, who recently worked on the Halo 3 ad campaign. Check out the first TV spot in the campaign..."

So, what do you think? A hit? A miss? I think these ads are an improvement over some of the first generation ads, which were just way too vague and were more about making the Zune brand known rather than explaining what the product did. TV ads are more about selling the experience, the feeling of owning the device, and I think in that way this commercial succeeds. I'm far less convinced by the Zune Journey.net site: if someone visits that site, they've probably already got the vibe about the Zune experience. What they're looking for is probably some actual information about the product and how they'll benefit from using it (regular people look for benefits, geeks look for features). The acid-trip-Flash experience gives the user neither. They can click on "Meet Zune" to get some basic info, but the font is so ultra-small and hard to read (at least on my 24" monitor) that I can't imagine most people being able to get anything useful from it. The only good part about the Zune Journey site? The background track they picked is catchy. Other than that? Meh.

I am curious about something though: what's the "story" that this commercial is telling? If you had to explain this commercial to someone that hadn't seen it yet, what would you tell them? Watch the video above and post your explanation in the comments. I have a Zune Thoughts micro light for the first person to truly nail it (based on my interpretation of the commercial of course).

Old 11-02-2007, 08:45 PM
rohitharsh
Pupil
Default my take

Actually the ad is pretty simple. It says that Zune is your gateway to your Music, Video and Pictures. It is how you go into the media world created by you. Right in the beginning the woman touches Zune and is transported into her world of media. And since this world is made by you…You Make It You

Old 11-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitharsh View Post
Actually the ad is pretty simple. It says that Zune is your gateway to your Music, Video and Pictures. It is how you go into the media world created by you. Right in the beginning the woman touches Zune and is transported into her world of media. And since this world is made by you…You Make It You

That's the way I interpreted it as well - she's in a rainy café by herself, but she has her Zune, so she can escape into all her own content...check your forum inbox, I'll be asking you for your shipping info.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:00 PM
mcwilliams132
Pupil

I think it means "It's the stuff that dreams are made of" = Zune.

first thought that came to me...

Old 11-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

It was watchable!

Not a bad ad, I didn't really enjoy the new site at all though. The Flash movie was incredibly jerky and links were broken left and right. Actually, the new Zune.net as well as this site look as if they really weren't Q/A'd at all! It's ridiculous that companies as large as Microsoft would release a web site as buggy as this.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor

Much better than some of last years' ones (though I'm still a fan of the plane one). It's still really weird, but it's better. The bunnies didn't do it for me.

P.S. Is that Busta Rhymes?

Old 11-03-2007, 04:25 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

The girl is immersed in her Zune.