Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 11-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default The Asus Eee Now Available For Pre-Order

http://www.mobileplanet.com/d.aspx?i=158478&partner=pthoughts

The Asus EEE is finally available for pre-order from our affiliate partner Expansys! This is a bit off-topic for this site, but I figure every good geek likes small computers. ;-)

If you haven't been following this device like I have, here's the quick version: the Asus Eee is a small (7" screen), light (2 pounds), inexpensive laptop that uses solid-state (Flash) memory for storage (15 second boot up? Check!) and runs a Linux-based operating system but can also have Windows XP installed on it. The big news was that this was supposed to come out at $199, but apparently Asus had trouble sourcing the screen for the price they thought they could get - so the price jumps $100. I suspect it was more along the lines of "Hey, people are freaking out about this, let's make some money while we can!". Whatever the reason, it's shameful Asus would announce a price of $199 and not deliver - yet at $299 it's still an impressive little device for the price and I want one. ;-)

First there's the $399 version which is dubbed the Asus Eee PC 4G. It differs from the less expensive unit in that it has a bigger 5200 mAH battery (which lasts 3.5 hours), and an integrated 0.3 megapixel Webcam. The $299 version is similar, but instead uses a 4400mAh battery and lacks the Web cam. Trusted Reviews has the first full review on this product that I've read, and it gives you a solid overview of the device.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Mark Larson
Theorist

How do you sync your Smartphone to it?

Old 11-03-2007, 03:00 AM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

I've been lusting for this thing for months...

Old 11-03-2007, 06:35 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Larson View Post
You wouldn't, unless someone develops a Linux-based sync tool for Windows Mobile.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Thracain
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Larson View Post
You install xp and activesync I just ordered the $399 version. I think it's perfect for my intended purposes. Can't wait to get it!

Old 11-04-2007, 07:02 PM
zx6guy
Pupil

Why does the bezel need to be so large? They could have gotten a lot more screen onto all that wasted space.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6guy View Post
Why does the bezel need to be so large? They could have gotten a lot more screen onto all that wasted space.
Agreed, but based on what I've read/seen, the 10" screen version will come in exactly the same form-factor....so this design accommodates both screen sizes.