¹ Zune Top 10 Ugliest Tech Products of the Year - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 10-17-2007, 05:42 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor
Default Zune Top 10 Ugliest Tech Products of the Year

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,137988-page,10-c,electronics/article.html

Oh come on... it isn't nearly that bad, is it? It may not yet have the sexy factor of its competitors, but placing it in the same category, let alone the same sentence as the Motorola DynaTAC 8000X, Furby, or Virtual Boy is just uncalled for. The PC World article mentions the "hide-a-pod" website as proof of a massive outcry against the Zune's "ugly" design. Really, I see nothing wrong with the Zune design (of course, I do have a slight bias; owning a brown one, and writing for a website specializing in Zune news doesn't help any claim of neutrality) other than it being a bit beefy at times. The new designs seem to have mostly fixed this, but again, it's truly in the eye of the beholder.

I compare the Zune's polarizing design, and especially the color choices of brown and green (for Zune2) to Toyota's Scion xB. While I personally am not a fan of the car's boxy design and what I see as a clunky look, I know several happy xB owners who wouldn't have it any other way. I love my Zune, and if I could, I'd nominate PC World for an "ugliest site ever" award.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Sage
Ponderer

Everything is relative unfortunately. The Zune is up against a style icon and there's not much it can do.

No-one complains about the Xbox 360 being ugly, because it's up against other big boxes of plastic.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:16 PM
mrozema
Intellectual

This isn't necessarily ugly, but there is certainly something wrong with the look of it. Check the link. Guaranteed chuckle.

http://www.itrportal.com/absolutenm/...4439&zoneid=61

Old 10-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Talyn
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to Talyn

iPods are a fashion accessory, that's the bottom line.

Yes the Zune 30 was/is big, boxy, bulky and otherwise "meh" in its appearance. But hey, it's a Toshiba device that MS rebranded so who's really to blame there? I want to love my Zune 30 but it's just too big and heavy for the times and places I use a PMP so my Nano gets used while the Zune is back in its box. That and it's taken them this long to get podcast and bookmarking support and that's pretty much all I use my Nano for.

The Zune II series looks much more attractive to me, however, especially the Zune 8 flash model. No, they're not as sexy as any new iPod series, but I wouldn't expect them to be, at least not until perhaps a 3rd generation Zune comes around.

I *want* to pre-order the Zune 8 and be an early adopter, but jeez I really wish MS would open that thing up to more than just Windows. It'd be nice if OSX/Linux users could at least view/play their Zune contents, perhaps even sync someday. Open the Zune Marketplace to everyone too. Money is money, regardless which OS someone is using. Oh, and while we're at it, seriously... it's not 1982 anymore... Microsoft Points has to go. Just let us buy what we want to buy for the actual price already.