Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Hardware & Accessories

Old 02-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor
Default Fujifilm Formally Announces Finepix X100

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1102/1...x100updated.asp

So here it is. Formal announcement and all. When? March 2011. How much? US$1,200 or ­€1,000. Don't give me that look, it's way cheaper than any Leica, and likely to be better as well.

In case you forget what this was, we have covered the camera before.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Wha....what? $1200? I don't care if it's cheaper than a Leica, doesn't Fujifilm want to sell more than a few hundred of them?

Old 02-09-2011, 11:13 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

I've been collecting beans to get just this. I learned photography on a very similar camera: a 35mm fixed lens rangefinder. I'm afraid this will sell more than Fuji can produce, since it promises to combine a really good relatively fast lens (check up the price on a 35mm 2.0) with a decent sensor, in a nostalgia look with an innovative viewfinder concept. Since all cameras that seem to be perfect on paper have something go wrong in real life, I wonder what the flaw in this camera will be.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlof View Post
I've been collecting beans to get just this.
You'll have to let me know what you think of it Marlof - it's a very interesting camera!

Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

I will. But I've spent my photography equipment budget for 2011 with the acquisition of an ultra wide angle for my current cameras. After a complete reshuffling of gear in 2010 (selling almost everything in my Four Thirds equipment, and using the money from that to downsize to Micro Four Thirds), I've decided to sit this year out. I'm interested in this camera, but also in the new professional mFT that is rumored to be introduced this year, and in the lenses Carl Zeiss and others will be able to introduce for mFT. I'm not running in the trap of collecting gear one by one again, so this will hopefully be a year of just using what I have. In november, hopefully more is clear about the direction I'll be taking with this hobby, and by then, all bets are off. It also gives me some time to collect more beans. :-)