Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2002, 08:44 AM
Ponderer
Default headphones balance, left to right?

has anyone ever come across an app which will allow you to adjust the balance of the sound coming through stereo headphones? i've done a search but have only come across really involved apps that have graphs & lines & full on equalizer things which are waaaay above my head .. ops:

all that i need is a simple application which will allow me to move all the sound across to one earphone when i'm listening to music with only one of my earbuds in, so that i don't miss out on half of my music.

has anyone seen anything like this & if so, do you know where i can get it?

i'm running pocket pc 2002 on an ipaq 3630.

Old 11-17-2002, 01:40 PM
Swami
Default Re: headphones balance, left to right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrous
has anyone ever come across an app which will allow you to adjust the balance of the sound coming through stereo headphones? i've done a search but have only come across really involved apps that have graphs & lines & full on equalizer things which are waaaay above my head .. ops:

all that i need is a simple application which will allow me to move all the sound across to one earphone when i'm listening to music with only one of my earbuds in, so that i don't miss out on half of my music.
I haven't seen anything like this, but I'm not sure you're using "balance" correctly. I believe balance controls only control the relative volume of the music channels.

Try this test. Take a test disc that has sound in only the left channel or right channel. Move the balance control on your stereo over to the other side. You shouldn't hear anything.

In your case, you just want something that combines the stereo channels into a mono channel. I'd think a simple control panel applet could do that (a radio button for "Stereo" or "Mono"), but a mixer application that allowed you to set different levels for both channels would be more flexible.

Steve

Old 11-17-2002, 10:03 PM
Ponderer
Default Re: headphones balance, left to right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony99CA
I haven't seen anything like this, but I'm not sure you're using "balance" correctly. I believe balance controls only control the relative volume of the music channels.
i dare say you're right. i really have no idea what i'm talking about. i'm happy to admit that i know almost nothing about sound except to say whether i can hear it or not .. :lol:

so yes, i guess you're right, what i probably want is something that will turn it into mono so i can receive both channels in one ear. i thought that with mp3 might have this function but it doesn't appear to.

so if a mixer application is the way to go, can anyone suggest one that will do this (or the volume thing) easily & isn't too expensive, since i only want it for this one reason?