Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2005, 12:40 AM
Editor Emeritus
Default CellTrack Beta: Track Your Location Using GSM Cell Tower Information

http://celltrack.spv-developers.com

"CellTrack is free and open source utility for tracking the location of GSM cellular phones. Currently C500 smartphones running Windows Mobile are supported. A free CellTrack client can be downloaded and installed on your phone. This runs in the background and collects information on the GSM cell towers in your phone's vicinity. This information can be used to estimate the geographical location of your phone. The client can be configred to automatically perform certain actions when the phone location changes. For example, CellTrack can be configured to automatically switch your phone to silent when entering work, or to divert all calls to your home line when you are at home."

User submitted image

CellTrack is a software that can run on HTC Typhoon (C500/SP3i/SMT5600) based Smartphones and report your location using the GSM cell tower information. The beta version of this application does not have all the features implemented yet, but I love the concept and its potential. 8) You can configure this application to report your location information to the central cell tower database and soon you will be able to do cool things like displaying your current location on your blog, website, or forum signature. And one piece of advice, don't let your spouse find out about this application. ;-)

Old 04-13-2005, 01:26 AM
Thinker

Anyone know if this'll work on the Mpx220? I heard it would not.

Old 04-13-2005, 01:29 AM
Editor Emeritus

It only mentions the HTC-based phones, so I'm guessing it won't, but I don't have a Moto to try it out on, so I can't say for sure.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:09 AM
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbranscum
Anyone know if this'll work on the Mpx220? I heard it would not.
I sure hope support is added for Cingular/MPx220. I love the potential this app could have.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Mystic
Send a message via MSN to encece Send a message via Skype™ to encece

Is this a similar app as TinyGPS?
http://www.psiloc.com/index.html?id=272

Old 04-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Editor Emeritus

From what I understand, it's TinyGPS and more. TinyGPS just displays your current cell tower and allows you to schedule events based on the tower you're in. This app does all that, and it reports your current cell tower back to a central database allowing you to display your current location on a webpage. Check out the image below the screenshots on this page.

Mind you, I haven't installed this yet. It's on my list of things to do, and hopefully it will be accomplished this morning!

Old 04-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Mystic
Send a message via MSN to encece Send a message via Skype™ to encece

A program called SmartLocator.GPS by world-tracker.com does that but via....GPS.

Old 04-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Ponderer

I'm not all that up on posting my whereabouts to a public forum, especially live time, but with the information that is sniffed off of the tower transmission, plus information on tower locations that is available on the FCC website, a non-user specific location area could be created for each tower. Then get that data base on my phone and I would use it to tell myself where I am, not anyone else.

I really don’t want to know that I'm close to MR's home, maybe a text tag like the name of the major town that falls within the "blob" of coverage that I am currently in would be more useful. ie "SSW of Celltownville" when you are getting signal from the sector of the tower that points SSW and the tower is located in "Celltownville"

This is a great example of reverse engineering, mapping the network from the open air Transmissions

Old 04-13-2005, 04:46 PM
Neophyte

Imagine the scenario - you lose your phone.

Using this software (and the on-line database), your web-site/blog/etc. tells where it is. So you go to that area and call your phone. Hopefully you'll have a distinctive ring (and it is on!) and you may be able to track it down to the person - much to their absolute astonishment. 8O

Old 04-13-2005, 05:18 PM
Neophyte

Does anyone know of a similar program that will work on an MPx220 with Cingular? Neither Celltrack nor TinyGPS seem to support any Cingular handsets :cry: