Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2003, 09:42 AM
Intellectual
Send a message via Yahoo to 67stang
Default How do I tell if someone is leaching off my Wireless Router?

Well tonight i noticed i had someones elses "shared docs" come up on my Network Places (on my desktop pc). I first thought.... hmm maybe my router sniffed out someones wifi.

I proceeded to download a bunch of mp3's from this person... but thats besides the point

Then I got to thinking... why would my desktop, which is hard wired to the Linksys router, sniff out a wifi... it wouldn't, it doesnt have a wireless card in it.

Ok, light bulb is starting to come on...

I turn on the Toshiba e740, go into Settings, to see if it lists two wifi connections... nope, just One...mine.

Okay, now it's coming together. I'm the dumb one! Someone has sniffed ME and is using my connection and has decided to network with my computer!!!

I have an idea who, as this is a small neighboorhood, and he gives a hint in how he names the shared directory.

But my question in all this is... one) I "think" i am safe because my shared drives require a password. I dont know for sure.

but more importantly... how do I prevent such leaches?

thanks in advance
(powering down the wireless router for the night!)

Old 02-03-2003, 11:20 AM
Thinker

The way to protect your WiFi setup is:

1. Turn on WEP - not uncrackable if you're really determined but good enough for most cases.
2. Turn on MAC filtering. This only allows certain network cards to connect to your AP.

If it's a neighbour that you know this may be overkill. Why not mail him (or leave a note in his Shared Docs folder)? You could agree to share the cost of your broadband connection with him, etc.

Old 02-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Sage

Just turn on MAC filtering and you should be good, just remember to give yout PDA access.
You should be able to see how many connected clients you have to your router so you can tell when he is connected and your router may also list the MAC address, I'm not sure if they normally do this or not.
It's possible your neighbour doesn't even realise he is connected to you but then again, he may know full well!

Old 02-03-2003, 01:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredMurphy
...(or leave a note in his Shared Docs folder)? You could agree to share the cost of your broadband connection with him, etc.
What a lovely suggestion!

Two people can share a 1M line for the same price as having an individual 512k connection! Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?

Oh Yes. Now I remember. My neighbour is 92. :cry: :lol: :wink:

Old 02-03-2003, 02:01 PM
Intellectual
Default Here are some URLs...

...that detail guidelines for securing wired/wireless SOHO networks.

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/home_networks.html
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,34635,00.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...december03.asp

Personally, I use...

* WEP (the key is changed weekly)
* Changed the default SSID (the SSID is changed weekly)

Note for the first two I use this generator to generate random keys and SSID values...

http://www.warewolf.net/portfolio/pr...kg/wepskg.html

* Changed the default access point administrator password and now use a strong password
* Turn OFF the SSID broadcast
* Use MAC Address Authentication

Near future plans are to isolate my wireless network from my wired network using a LINUX firewall.

http://www.zelow.no/floppyfw/

Nothing is fail-safe, but it all helps to keep the barbarians outside the gates...

Old 02-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Pupil

Possible that the neighbor thinks they're on their own wireless network?? :wink:

Old 02-03-2003, 03:02 PM
Pontificator

Another suggestion, make your SSID something like Do Not Enter or Authorized Use Only or No Tresspassing. That should make it clear to anyone browsing that it is not a public access point and should not be used. Question, why change the SSID on a periodic basis? I understand changing the WEP key, but since on most home equipment you are broadcasting the SSID and can't shut that off, why bother changing it?

Old 02-03-2003, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldkey
Question, why change the SSID on a periodic basis? I understand changing the WEP key, but since on most home equipment you are broadcasting the SSID and can't shut that off, why bother changing it?
Most equipment does come with the ability to turn off SSID broadcast. If your WAP doesn't, check your manufacturers website for updated versions of your firmware...

Steve

Old 02-03-2003, 03:53 PM
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Cedrone
Quote:
Question, why change the SSID on a periodic basis? I understand changing the WEP key, but since on most home equipment you are broadcasting the SSID and can't shut that off, why bother changing it?
Most equipment does come with the ability to turn off SSID broadcast. If your WAP doesn't, check your manufacturers website for updated versions of your firmware...

Steve
I am using a SMC2404WBR - Barricade Turbo 11/22 Mbps Wireless Cable/DSL Broadband Router and it does not have this ability. If someone can correct me on this, I would be happy to hear it! It was my understanding that this setup was a little more high-end than the typical linksys or d-link consumer setups and that those did not have the ability to shut off the SSID broadcast either.

Old 02-03-2003, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I am using a SMC2404WBR - Barricade Turbo 11/22 Mbps Wireless Cable/DSL Broadband Router and it does not have this ability. If someone can correct me on this, I would be happy to hear it! It was my understanding that this setup was a little more high-end than the typical linksys or d-link consumer setups and that those did not have the ability to shut off the SSID broadcast either.
I have a D-Link WAP and it does have the ability to turn off SSID broadcast...

I would email SMC support and see if they plan on adding this in a future firmware update...

Steve