Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2004, 01:24 AM
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to jmulder
Default Chinese characters on English PPC?

Having recently adopted a little girl from China, I was going to start learning Chinese language and writing (so I can teach her when she's old enough). While I'm not interested in working on my PPC in Chinese, I would like to practice my writing.

Is it possible to input Chinese into an English PPC? I've got an Axim X5 now and an Axim x50v on the way. Do I just need a Chinese SIP, or would I need to change the whole ROM?

Thanks,

Jim

Old 11-08-2004, 02:52 AM
Ponderer

I have Japanese reading/input on my PPC, and I know that there are ones out of Koreans (one of them being the one on the frontpage of PPCT right now), so there should be some available for Chinese as well.

I'm pretty certain that I saw couple of threads regarding this matter; I'll try to search for them. ^^

[edit]
There's one called CE-Star. Also, the one on the front page, DioPen, not only supports Korean, but also English, European languages, Chinese, Japanese and Hebrew, as well as numbers, symbols and gestures.

I could've sworn I saw a LOT of such softwares (I'd done some research before finding the right Japanese input system) for this use, but I can't really remember them at the moment. ^^ Just google around and I'm sure you'll come up with plenty! Good luck!

Old 11-08-2004, 03:41 AM
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Decuma Chinese is a very solid application for inputting Chinese characters. All you need is a Chinese font. There are a number of them available. All you have to do is copy these fonts over to \Windows\Fonts\ on the PPC, or alternatively, you can copy them over to a storage card and use FontOnStorage to allow it to be accessed.

Decuma Chinese: http://www.decuma.com/pages/products...cognition.html
FontOnStorage: http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconVa...tOnStorage.zip

Old 11-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to jmulder

Thanks for the help. guys. It sounds like I just need the SIP and the fonts, and since I already use Decuma OnSpot, I'll give their Chinese SIP a try.

Thanks again,

Jim

Old 12-29-2004, 06:15 AM
Neophyte

have someone know how to view the chinese in pocket pc 2002 internet exploer?

Old 12-29-2004, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threestrong
have someone know how to view the chinese in pocket pc 2002 internet exploer?
You will need a Chinese font installed as I specified in my earlier post. Something like the MingLiu font would work. Simply copy it over to your Pocket PC's \Windows\Fonts directory, or alternatively, leave it on a storage card and use FontOnStorage to gain access to it. You can extract this font from Microsoft's Chinese Language Pack for Windows. If you open up Pocket Internet Explorer, you may also need to change the Default Character Set. Open the application, tap Tools > Options, then the Advanced tab. You can change it to Chinese Traditional.

Old 12-29-2004, 03:46 PM
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
Decuma Chinese is a very solid application for inputting Chinese characters. All you need is a Chinese font. There are a number of them available. All you have to do is copy these fonts over to \Windows\Fonts\ on the PPC, or alternatively, you can copy them over to a storage card and use FontOnStorage to allow it to be accessed.

Decuma Chinese: http://www.decuma.com/pages/products...cognition.html
FontOnStorage: http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconVa...tOnStorage.zip
Darius,

But as i understood it from some members on our board, it only works on a Chines version of the OS, or is that just because the chinese fonts aren't installed?

Jaap

Old 12-30-2004, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JvanEkris
But as i understood it from some members on our board, it only works on a Chines version of the OS, or is that just because the chinese fonts aren't installed?
All you need is the Chinese font and to set the character set to the Chinese font where appropriate. Its purpose is not to generate a system-wide restructure of its default language. The OS will still display in English, but if you require to input things in Chinese or read pages in Chinese, then adding the font will allow for that, provided you set everything right. There are also a number of freeware viewers available which allow for Chinese reading.

I last did this a year ago, since I haven't had a need to do any Chinese work recently. I'll check it out again to make sure I'm not confusing myself over something else and get back to you.

Old 08-30-2005, 08:31 PM
Neophyte

If I just follow the above method, not only with Pocket IE be able to read chinese, but the whole OS will be able to display traditional chinese? But to write traditional chinese, seperate IME program is then required right?

Old 08-31-2005, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko
If I just follow the above method, not only with Pocket IE be able to read chinese, but the whole OS will be able to display traditional chinese? But to write traditional chinese, seperate IME program is then required right?
With regards to webpages, theoretically, the answer is yes, though it's not that simple since a lot of it depends on how the webpage was written.

For the OS itself, copying a simple font will not change the system language. Instead, you will need a Chinese version of the Windows Mobile OS - which unfortunately is OEM-dependent.