Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Hardware & Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Samsung's Wall-mounted Blu-ray Player

http://www.wired.com/reviews/produc...pr_0610_blueray

"Its glossy black finish and polished Darth Vader design make Samsung's newest Blu-ray box, the BD-P4600, stand out from every other player on the market. Well, it actually doesn't stand anywhere at all — it comes with the metal brackets to mount it on a wall or plant it on a desktop pedestal. And like Lord Vader, this model packs some serious force with its built-in streaming for Pandora music and Netflix movies."

I've always been surprised that there are not more options in wall mountable DVD/Blu-ray players.  With the growth in wall-mounted TV's, a wall-mounted player seems to be a logical option.  Unfortunately, all the wall-mounted players I've seen tended to be rather specialized products and were priced accordingly.  I don't care about a wall-mounted player so much for the living room since I have lots of other components that are not wall mountable anyway.  But I've got a 32" LCD wall-mounted in the bedroom and having to make space on a nearby dresser to put a DVD player takes away from some of the elegance of a wall-mounted TV.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Executive Editor

Wall-mounting makes sense only if you can hide all the wires - and most people can't.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Intellectual

Another solution (though one I don't particularly care for) is to buy a TV with the DVD player integrated. Or one with Blu-ray if anyone makes such a thing.

Still have to hide the power wire, though.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:08 AM
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Wall-mounting makes sense only if you can hide all the wires - and most people can't.
Wall-mounting the TV allows it to be at a MUCH more viewable height for a bedroom, even if you can't hide the wires (of course it looks a lot better if you can).

Old 06-16-2009, 04:23 AM
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Christensen View Post
Wall-mounting the TV allows it to be at a MUCH more viewable height for a bedroom, even if you can't hide the wires (of course it looks a lot better if you can).
I meant wall mounting the DVD player - the subject of the post.