Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Neophyte
Send a message via MSN to cleeshoy
Default How to remove Memory Stick Duo from HP laptop?

Hey guys - not sure if anyone can help me but I thought this forum might be a good place to start given HP haven't been too helpful.

I own a HP Pavilion dv1135AP Notebook PC. Basically that notebook has a "Digital Media" slot which allows to me insert SD RAM cards, etc. It's also compatible with Memory Stick Duo Cards (like the ones that come with the Sony-Ericsson w800i mobile phone). So I stuck the Memory Stick Duo Card into the slot and it read the card fine - I copied the files off the card to my Hard Drive OK. However my problem is now that I cannot eject the damn card out of the slot! The slot is too small for me to put my fingers inside, it doesn't appear to be spring loaded either. Any suggestions?

thanks!

Old 10-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Executive Editor

I'd suggest tweezers, or perhaps even a paperclip to get under part of the card then press upwards and pull out. Let us know how it turns out...

Old 10-31-2006, 03:03 PM
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Definitely the tweezers thing. Just be careful to not clamp down too hard on the memory stick. Try grabbing it by the edges where there's no vitals and the casing is strongest.

And in the future, I recommend using the adapter (that makes it regular memory stick-sized) when inserting it in your laptop. Incidentally, my Compaq (made by HP) has the same memory card reader in it. When I stick my non-duo memory stick in it goes really far. Somehow I don't think HP's people tested their design with the MS Duo. :?

Old 11-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Neophyte
Send a message via MSN to cleeshoy

hey guys - thanks for the advice about the tweezers thing. I tried but unfort my tweezers dont seem to have enough "grab" on them. As for the adaptor, I didn't even know there was one - perhaps i should check all the peripheral stuff it came with

Old 11-22-2006, 10:41 AM
Neophyte

I just solved this same problem on an HP Pavillion DV5000 laptop.

Short Answer
Get the adapter. Push it (open end first) into the reader slot all the way to go over the stuck card. Then pull it out slowly.
The wire teeth in the slot are what is holding the smaller card in.
The adapter's plastic cover slides over the stuck card and allows it slide out past the teeth.

Long Story
Memory card from camera was put in the laptop slot without the adapter, which resulted in it being stuck in the slot.
The adapter is rectangular and longer than the camera memory card (which is squarish) and is needed so the small memory card does not get stuck.

HP Support Useless
Called HP support and they suggested either mail laptop in for repair (still under warranty) with at least 2 weeks without the laptop, or bring it in to a local dealer (the suggested Geek Squad at Best Buy or anyone similar) who would charge for the repair. Forget that.

6 Hour Waste of Time
I took apart the laptop to get at the card reader from the back to push the card out. Took the laptop apart down to the motherboard and had to remove parts from the motherboard to get to the card reader only to find that the reader does not come off the motherboard and there is no way to get in the reader from the back. Put it all back together (fragile and scary). 6 hours of work for nothing.

Solution
I looked in the reader slot and realized that the pin teeth on top and bottom of the slot were probably what was holding in the card in there. I just needed two slim pieces of plastic to slide in above and below the stuck card to get it out. That's when I realized that the adapter sitting here was plastic and just the right size as that is what it was made for.
I pushed the adapter into the reader slot, open end first, encapsulating the stuck card. I slowly pulled it out and the stuck card came out a little. I pushed the adapter in again all the way and pulled out slowly and the stuck card came out far enough for me to grab and remove it.
That took 30 seconds.

6 wasted hours for a 30 second solution.
That's kinda what most computer work is like.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:07 AM
Neophyte

Thanks Chip for the information.

Unfortunately, I read this a little to late, I just spend 2 hours on the phone with HP and they say I can ship it in but if physical damage is present, they'll charge me $289-389!!! It appears that there is physical damage since some of the golden pins are visible although the MS Duo is still in there. They say they'll call me if I will incur any charges, but I honestly don't want to pay that much for something I can fairly do without.

At the same time I remember a few months ago when my brother knocked off the part where the antenna goes from our HD Big Screen TV, a guy from Best Buy came to our house for a home-service call under the extended warranty. He said that it would usually cost around $300 and it wasn't covered under the extended warranty, however he fixed it without charging us. But then again that was Best Buy, the retailer, and it was under extended warranty (thought not covered) and not the manufacturer of the tv itself, so I don't know if I should try and see if I can get it fixed without any charges?? And at the same time I don't want to be without my laptop for 7 days and risk them not fixing it.

Any suggestions??? Or does anyone know where else I can get it repaired for cheaper? Hope I didn't confuse anyone. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Neophyte

Well I am sure glad I found this forum... Unfortunatly for me it was a bit to late. I like many made a poor judgement of error and thought that perhaps my memory stick from my cell phone would work flawlessly in my laptop. Needless to say, i was very very wrong.

I have the sony ericsson w810i which has the memory stick PRO duo and an hp pavilion. Im sure you all know where the story is going, but if not ill give you the short version. The card in my phone was holding at least 100 pictures and i thought it was about time to take them off the phone. So i pulled the card out of the slot in the phone and pushed it into the card reader in my hp.

I had no problems transfering the photos. The problem was when i tried to remove the card. Obviously it wouldnt budge. My dad always says that the internet holds the key to everything so i got online, and as this forum has been discusing, i found out that it doesnt really fit in the slot.

Eventually i did get the card out... using a bobby pin (take the plasic ends off so the pin fits nicely on either side of the card, and twist it a bit to tighten the grip and pull the card out slowly. It doesnt do any damage but might take a few tries)

Good thing i found you guys though because im pretty sure i would pull that stunt again thinking that my card readers just isnt equip with the spring mechanism that is designed to eject the cards.

Thanks a million

Old 08-09-2007, 06:26 AM
Neophyte
Default Update

Just to give you guys an update, I actually had another problem with my HP laptop (not physical) but in the hardware or something like that, so I called and sent it in and also told them about the memory stick, and they actually fixed both problems without charging me a penny! I got my laptop back within next week. I love HP!!

Old 07-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Neophyte
Default i am not able to take out my naokia memory card from p notebook.

my nokia n93i memory card has been strucked in hp notebook,plz let me know how can i take out.n i didnt got ur idea about adapter n all plz can u n explain again..if possble.lz reply soon.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:42 AM
Neophyte
Default Mine melted

I had an 8 gig memory stick pro duo and I used the adapter to get some pictures of my card. I started smelling burning plastic and I didn't think anything of it until I went to eject my memory stick and I couldn't get it out. I had to get pliers to get it out and once I did, a piece of metal, probably from the media slot, was lodged in the adapter and part of the adapter was melted. So, my memory stick is now stuck in the adapter. I have an HP dv9000 series laptop.