View Full Version : Hello, World!

Don Sorcinelli
09-03-2010, 02:30 AM
<p>My name is Don Sorcinelli, and I am one of Android Thoughts new Contributing Editors. If you have been around the Microsoft mobile space for any period of time, you might recognize me. I have been a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional for Mobile devices for the past 5 years, having run a user and developer group in the Boston area for nearly 10 years, and working with the Pocket PC / Smartphone / Windows Mobile / Windows Phone developer community at Microsoft local and regional events for nearly as long. By the way - the software developer in me was compelled to create the title line for this introductory post.</p><p>While a great deal of my time has been spent around the Windows Mobile/Phone platform, my professional work is more expansive with regards to mobility. I have worked for a number of years with enterprises regarding mobility strategies, device deployments and line of business application development. As a result, I have been fortunate to have been exposed to nearly all major mobile platforms from user, IT and developer perspectives. As Google continue to march forward with the Android platform, they (like many others) continue to look to woo businesses and IT organizations in addition to the consumer audience.</p><p>I look forward to trying to bring my perspective on Android to you, the reader. Hopefully, my background can sometimes shed a different light on some of the news and information coming from the Android world. And for those who may be wondering... no, my passion for the Windows Phone platform has not diminished. In fact, I am currently serving as a Technical Reviewer for one Windows Phone development book while authoring another. My passion is mobility in general, in all of it's amazing and constantly-evolving forms.</p>

Jason Dunn
09-03-2010, 04:50 AM
Welcome Don, great to have you here! :)

Paragon
09-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Good luck Don!

Dude...when do you sleep? ;)

Dave

cjhpe
09-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Welcome...I haven't been looking forward to this sites first day. I have been following thoughts media for a while. I am currently a Blackberry user. However, I am seriously considering moving to either an iPhone or an Android device. My biggest 3 requirements that I have identified so far are 1. Great Exchange integration, 2. Verizon, 3. wither a removable battery or obscene battery life.

I have the added please of introducing my wife to her first smart phone as she is wanting to get email on her phone. I am thinking that our purchase time frame with be January although if the right device and deal comes along we are both past our upgrade time.

What I would like to see is a good breakdown and comparison of the BES Exchange features (from as users perspective) with what is offered by iPhone and Android (stock and apps). I have tried to do this on my own but with out access to either the iPhone or Android I am finding it difficult to see what is actually there. The iPhone has pretty good documentation available that has covered the Exchange features. Android I have been having real difficulty in finding exactly what is available and whether it is provided in the stock Android OS or if it is provided by the manufacturer adding a 3rd party app or hooks.

Another feature I like on the BB is the BB Messenger. It is an awesome way to text with friends and family without the added charge from the carriers. It also provides some added features text doesn't like knowing if the message has been delivered and read by the other person. So what does iPhone and Android provide in this arena.

I realize I am looking for a comparison against 2 other devices that this site doesn't really cater to but since you identified yourself as wanting to offer an Enterprise slant to your reviews and such I see these two platforms as being the tops in Enterprise.

I look forward to high quality reviews and editorials as the other thoughts sites have been providing. Good luck to you all and I wish you great success! If you need help with what is offered through BES I will be happy to provide you with the info.

Craig Horlacher
09-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Welcome Don! I look forward to hearing your insights, especially related to Android in business and security implications of that.

Janak Parekh
09-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Wow, Don, you tossed your hat in with the Thoughts Media empire? This is going to be some site. I'm really looking forward to it. :-D

--janak

Darius Wey
09-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Wow, Don, you tossed your hat in with the Thoughts Media empire? This is going to be some site. I'm really looking forward to it. :-D

Agreed. Don, I haven't forgotten the never-ending laughs with you and Jon in Redmond. This is going to be a very interesting place.

Welcome! :)