View Full Version : OS X, You Confuse Me

Jason Dunn
08-19-2010, 10:37 PM
I posted this to Facebook/Twitter: Spent time with a Macbook yesterday, and I continue to find OS X to be mostly baffling. So many illogical, ridiculous things. Hard to like.

A friend asked me what, specifically, I was having trouble with, and here was my response:

Upgrading Skype. So the laptop had Skype 2.03 or something on it, and it alerted me that Skype 2.8 was now available. I clicked to upgrade, and it took me to the Skype Web page where it would download the file. OK, no problems there. It downloaded a DMG (I think?) file to the desktop. OK, that's the Mac installer I've seen before. When I double-click on the file to run it, a window pops up with a Skype icon on the left, and an applications icon on the right. Clicking on the Skype icon would start Skype I think, and clicking on right icon would open the applications window. I didn't understand why the window was there, but I figured it was telling me it was installed. There was a blue Skype hard-drive looking thing on the desktop as well - was it the executable that came out of the DMG? I had no clue, but I thought the update was installed, and so I dragged the blue icon and the DMG to the trash can.

Then I started up Skype and was stunned to see it was still v2.03. Huh? I did the entire process over again, and when the Skype window opened up after clicking on the DMG I saw there was an arrow between the Skype and Applications icons...so I was supposed to drag the Skype icon to the Application icon. Once I did that, it seems it actually installed Skype.

To me, that process was needlessly confusing. Compare that to the process on Windows:

1) Dowload an EXE
2) Double-click on EXE
3) App installs
4) You delete the EXE

So far my observation is that you need lots of "insider" understanding of how OS X works; it's not intuitive for me, and I don't think it's because I'm a "Windows guy". The client who's machine it was isn't very techy but has had the Macbook for a couple of years and she still doesn't understand how basically anything works.

So I'm not bashing OS X here, but am really baffled as to why upgrading Skype was such a baffling process.

rockinthesixstring
08-20-2010, 12:51 AM
I suppose you're right about the "insider knowledge"... but once you get it... you get it.

Yes, dragging the icon to the Application folder installs it. Basically, where an EXE installs a bunch of files to a "Program Files" directory, dumps a bunch of crap to your registry, and forces you to reboot (or completely kill the services) in order to uninstall... OS X simply over-writes the application in the "Applications" folder, and that's the end of it. Yes you do have to exit the app, but that's it... no reboot for the most part (unless its a system application).

Next time you see the "icon" -> "applications" scenario, you'll know what to do.

PS: the "Application" icon is actually just a shortcut directly to your applications directory.

PPS: also, FYI, when it comes to uninstalling something, you don't go "start" -> "control panel" -> "add / remove programs" -> find the file, and uninstall... you just open the "Applications" folder, find the app that you want to uninstall, and drag it to the trash... done ;-)