View Full Version : Blake Robinson's Open Letter to Microsoft

Jason Dunn
06-21-2007, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://crunchgear.com/2007/06/18/an-open-letter-to-microsoft-re-zune/' target='_blank'>http://crunchgear.com/2007/06/18/an-open-letter-to-microsoft-re-zune/</a><br /><br /></div><em>&quot;Blake Robinson here. I&rsquo;ve been a Zune user from the beginning despite resounding clamor railing against my support. It&rsquo;s a decent device that gets the job done as well as anything else out there. So what if you put too much stock into the wireless sharing function. It might be useless and I&rsquo;ve still yet to &ldquo;squirt&rdquo; a single track at anyone, but I did finally see a Zune in the wild (owned by a cute girl who I would have gladly squirted). Nevertheless, I still dig the interface and despite the fact that it weighs as much a cinder block, I still carry it around like a jackass. I can live with that. My problem with you stems from your ridiculous and asinine decision to not support OS X.&quot;</em><br /><br />Blake over at CrunchGear is mighty ticked off that the Zune doesn't work with his Mac. In fact, he seemed somehow surprised that Microsoft isn't supporting the Mac. I'm not sure why - given the small size of the Zune team, the fact that they're just over one year old as a team, and given that they have ONE product on the market...why would anyone think that Mac support would be a critical deliverable in the first generation? Or, really, ever for that matter? The iPod wouldn't have been a success if they hadn't made iTunes Windows-compatible, but Microsoft isn't in any such position with the Zune: they don't need Mac compatibility in order for it to be a smash success.<br /><br />I'm not saying Microsoft should <em>never </em>release an OS X version of the Zune software, but given the fact that the product has been on the market for seven months now and we have yet to see even <em>one </em>significant new feature&nbsp; or enhancement via firmware or desktop software update, it seems clear the team is massively resource constrained and they can't deliver the experience they need to for Windows users. If given a choice between delivering something better to the bulk of the buying public or catering to a small percentage of people (honestly, how many Mac owners would even give the Zune a chance?)...where would you spend your resources? Sorry Blake, guess you should have bought an iPod.

Rocco Augusto
06-22-2007, 12:35 AM
If the Zune team came out with OS X software before they even implemented Podcasting support or more codec support in the current Zune software, I would be so irate I would probably throw my Zune against a wall... which wouldn't be all that bad as the hardware is built like a rock :)

MitchellO
06-23-2007, 08:21 AM
I bought a Zune to go with my MacBook Pro. Works great with my iTunes library too. I have it syncing through the Zune software running in Parallels (XP virtual machine). The Zune software automatically raids my iTunes library (through a shared folder) and syncs it to my Zune. When new music is added to my iTunes library, I fire up the Zune software which automatically scans the iTunes folder and adds them to the Zune library. Works great!!

Damion Chaplin
06-26-2007, 01:53 AM
I bought a Zune to go with my MacBook Pro. Works great with my iTunes library too. I have it syncing through the Zune software running in Parallels (XP virtual machine). The Zune software automatically raids my iTunes library (through a shared folder) and syncs it to my Zune. When new music is added to my iTunes library, I fire up the Zune software which automatically scans the iTunes folder and adds them to the Zune library. Works great!!

I'm guessing you rip your own CDs... Sure wouldn't want someone buying something off iTunes and expecting it to work with their Zune (unless of course they bought themselves a few DRM-free EMI tracks...)

Like you said, Jason, it was absolutely necessary for the iPod to support Windows and, conversely, would be rather stupid if the Zune team wasted time supporting such a small segment of computer users...

Now, getting the Zune subscription to work with iPods...
Hey, one can dream... :)

ezra4no1
07-06-2007, 08:36 PM
I hate to say it, but Blake's got a point. Just because Microsoft monopolizes the desktop environment on PCs doesn't mean they will dominate the DAP market.

Honestly, how often do you see other people walking around with the Zune? Since it's release, I have seen 3 other people walk around with the Zune player, in compareds to - everyday I see people walking around with iPods . The Zune is bigger, larger, and heavy than the standard which the iPod has set. The Zune still can't do Podcasts - which for some people is the only reason why they have an iPod. There's less accessories for the Zune than the iPod. Let's face it, the Zune is less popular than Sony's Minidisc.

Now this doesn't mean that Microsoft should run out and make an Apple version for the Zune to work with Macs, but it does mean that Microsoft should at least address those people who could possible be loyal paying customers. The whole attitude that Blake should of bought an iPod is just bad in every way. Because the truth is... Buying an iPod is exactly what the rest of planet earth is doing - and for the obvious reasons.

blakerobinson
07-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Sorry it took me so long to respond to this. Let me clarify a few things. First of all, I like the Zune. It has a nice interface, gets a decent battery life and sounds at least as good as an iPod. Furthermore, while I am on Mac exclusively at the moment, I still very much consider myself a "PC-guy." It's the platform I grew up on and the one I'm still most proficient and comfortable with.

That said, I now find myself in a Mac-only environment and it's forced me to consider more heavily the shortsightedness of Microsoft's Windows-only support. In fact, I reckon that MS missed a large opportunity by this shortcoming in that it could have given the Zune the ability to pair with multiple systems, unlike the iPod's paltry one-system-home setup.

So really, the issue isn't that I bought the Zune expecting for it to support Mac. The situation is that I got a Zune, my situation changed quickly and my essentially new audio player was rendered useless.