View Full Version : The 25-step Action Plan for New Photographers

Lee Yuan Sheng
06-01-2010, 04:33 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/05/letter-to-george.html' target='_blank'>http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...-to-george.html</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"Like many aficionados I am excessively affected by my own preferences and habits, and it leads me to give buying advice that is indeed idiosyncratic. The suggestion that you jump in from the get-go with an investment of $3,195 is indeed preposterous (good word). I would like to make amends by suggesting an objectively more characteristic 25-step course of action for you. My experience in this field has demonstrated many times that this sequence is broadly very typical, and I think you will find that these new recommendations far more objectively trace the course of most serious photographers' investments in their gear."</em></p><p>Mike Johnston from <a href="http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html" target="_blank" title="The Online Photographer">The Online Photographer</a>*has posted a hilarious and tongue-in-cheek article that just about sums up the mindset of many amatuer photographers I've seen over the years. Whether you're about to take up photography seriously, or have been shooting for a long time, Mike's post is recommended reading.</p>

Jason Dunn
06-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Haha - what a great, great post! :D I definitely saw myself in a couple of those steps, though I do manage to keep my photography gear beast caged up fairly well. Might as well share a bit of my journey as well...

I started with a Kodak DC265 - that was my very first digital camera. The year? 1999. The pixels? 1152 x 768 at max resolution (0.8 megapixels). I look at the photos now and think "Oh, did I resize them smaller?". Nope, that's as big as it got back then. ;)

I think in 2001 or 2002 I purchased my first Canon Powershot...fun little camera!

In 2003, I purchased my very first DSLR - a Canon EOS Digital Rebel, the very first model that came out. I think I paid $1500 for it - a then-groundbreaking price because it was so "affordable". 3072 x 2048 resolution...6.2 megapixels. Man I loved that thing - it was the first camera that actually responded when you pressed the shutter button. It was the start of my journey toward "real" photography.

Beyond 2003 I think I upgraded my point and shoot camera once or twice.

I kept that Canon Rebel camera for three years, and in April 2006 I purchased the Nikon D200. I was shocked that I switched from Canon to Nikon, but the D200 with the 18-200 lens just SANG in my hands - it felt so right. 10.2 megapixels was a decent jump from the 6.2 on the Rebel. I loved my D200 - I took a hell of a lot of pictures with it (I want to say 30K or so).

[Insert another point and shoot camera here]

In January of 2007 I purchased the D300. Yes, less than a year later after the D200 purchase. I wasn't following DSLRs that closely back then, so I didn't know that the D200 came out in November of 2005, but before buying the D300 I spent quite a while researching it, trying to understand if it would address the #1 complaint I had with the D200: lots of noise at high ISOs. I took a chance and was rewarded with a camera I've used heavily since - and the high ISO performance of the D300 is light-years better than the D200 (http://www.digitalhomethoughts.com/news/show/32371/nikon-d300-cmos-sensor-radically-improves-high-iso-image-quality.html).

It's now June of 2010, more than three years after I purchased the D300, and I'm still using it and loving it - but I already have some money saved up for the successor to the D300...the D400 or D500, whatever Nikon decides to call it. I want even better high ISO noise performance, 1080p video with a solid autofocus function, and higher megapixels (without more noise) would also be nice.

I laughed when reading the article because I too have had the tiny voice in the back of my head whispering about a full frame sensor...it's something that I've historically shunned because the thought of losing 50% of my lens reach is appalling, but I keep hearing about how awesome the D700 is in low light, so that voice is getting louder...

I should also not forget the camera-buying spree (http://www.digitalhomethoughts.com/news/show/96987/do-i-have-a-problem-buying-too-many-cameras.html) I went on after my son Logan was born in August 2009...in the span of a few months, I bought a Panasonic ZS3, a Panasonic TS1 (for underwater stuff), and a Panasonic GF1. At this point I pretty much curse at the ZS3 every time I pick it up - I greatly prefer shooting with the GF1 because it has DSLR-like performance without being too big or heavy.

So while I'm fairly controlled with my DSLR purchases, I'm a bit more prone to buying new point and shoot-type cameras whenever the mood strikes. :rolleyes:

Lee Yuan Sheng
06-02-2010, 01:37 AM
Heh, I tend to buy more lenses (cheaper lenses too) than camera bodies. Would you believe that the D300 is my first DSLR? :P

Jason Dunn
06-02-2010, 03:01 AM
Would you believe that the D300 is my first DSLR? :P

That *is* quite surprising...I could have sworn that you'd been talking about DSLRs for years! :D

Lee Yuan Sheng
06-02-2010, 05:21 AM
Well, I did have the ex's D70 before that, but that's not really my camera. Never touched it much either after the breakup. Other occasions I rented a variety of Nikon DSLRs. I have used the D2H, D200 and D1X. Prior to digital I was using a F100 till 2005, so about 4 years worth, which is very short in film standards. Picking the F100 was like you choosing the D200; the camera just felt right. I could never stand the Canon controls.