View Full Version : Is Apple Too Touchy?

Jeff Campbell
05-06-2010, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20004186-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple' target='_blank'>http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-2...subj=News-Apple</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"Everywhere one turns nowadays it seems that Apple is being accused of being too touchy."</em></p><p><object width="600" height="360" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/CTMC_yjhYww&amp;ap=%26fmt=18" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CTMC_yjhYww&amp;ap=%26fmt=18" /></object></p><p>So is this a matter of protecting the brand or is Apple being too touchy when it comes to humor about it's iPhone? I thought the video was hilarious and that she was just poking fun, but apparently Apple didn't see it that way so Ellen issued an apology the day after airing the above commercial. Apple was upset over the implication that the iPhone was hard to use, but I think they need to consider the source. What are your thoughts?</p>

Jason Dunn
05-06-2010, 10:58 PM
My Tweet says it all:

"If there was ever proof that Apple is full of self-important arrogant blowhards with no sense of humour; this is it: http://bit.ly/aqRTGL"

:rolleyes:

jem
05-06-2010, 11:25 PM
They really are full of themselves. She' a comedian, fercrissake.

crimsonsky
05-07-2010, 12:44 AM
Apple needs to get over themselves. It's Ellen! I am really coming to despise Apple the company and in a sense I hate that they make such great products, many of which I own (just bought a MacBook Pro this weekend as well). I love OS X. Coming to hate Apple. I don't think Microsoft at its worst was as bad as Apple is becoming in terms of arrogance. And Microsoft is learning from many of its mistakes while Apple just seems to be continuing to compound theirs.

Jason Dunn
05-07-2010, 12:47 AM
I am really coming to despise Apple the company and in a sense I hate that they make such great products, many of which I own (just bought a MacBook Pro this weekend as well). I love OS X. Coming to hate Apple.

No joke, this is about 80% of why I've always felt conflicted about buying Apple products; they make some really good stuff, but their attitude as a company - which stems DIRECTLY from the guy at the top, Steve Jobs - just sucks. If Apple was a person that I met at a party, I'd punch Apple in the mouth.

ptyork
05-07-2010, 01:32 AM
Steve Jobs - just sucks. If Apple was a person that I met at a party, I'd punch Apple in the mouth.

http://www.urban75.com/Punch/jobs.html

dequardo
05-07-2010, 01:48 AM
Steve being Steve. Evil Genius cuts both ways.

Sven Johannsen
05-07-2010, 03:04 AM
Boy, I really hate being devil's advocate here, or is it spawn of satan advocate, whatever. Have we heard from Apple what they said to her?, if anything? The report is, she said, Apple said, they didn't like it. Who? Lone attorney, Steve?. Did she get a cease and desist court order, threatened with a law suite if a public apology was not forthcoming? What? She's a comedienne. No harder for me to believe that she might be milking a little publicity, then to believe the iPhone 4 might not have been less than accidental.

Besides, it was funny, but also had some aspect of truth to it, as most humor does. Who here hasn't hit the wrong button now and again, leading down a path of frustrated mis-recoveries. Usually happens when you are trying to demo something, doesn't it.

Jeff Campbell
05-07-2010, 03:09 AM
Besides, it was funny, but also had some aspect of truth to it, as most humor does. Who here hasn't hit the wrong button now and again, leading down a path of frustrated mis-recoveries. Usually happens when you are trying to demo something, doesn't it.

Yep, that's why it was so funny for me, I've done a similar routine on accident, except I've cursed when I've done it :)

Rob Alexander
05-07-2010, 03:36 AM
Boy, I really hate being devil's advocate here, or is it spawn of satan advocate, whatever. Have we heard from Apple what they said to her?, if anything? The report is, she said, Apple said, they didn't like it. Who? Lone attorney, Steve?. Did she get a cease and desist court order, threatened with a law suite if a public apology was not forthcoming? What?

Obviously, the public will never see what was actually said, but it's not that hard to figure out the basics of what happened. Apple is one of the two largest sponsors of Ellen's new show (American Idol) and then she rags on them on her own show and ends up apologizing. How hard is that to figure out? I know we don't have hard evidence, but really... when was the last time a famous comedian apologized about making a simple joke? That's what they do; it's their job. And listen to the apology itself. That's not someone trying to make another joke. Everything about her manner made it obvious that she hated doing it.

Think what you will, but it seems clear to me that Apple went all postal on her and she had no choice. As to the original question, I agree with Jason. Apple makes some fine products, but I hate the company's culture. Consequently, I've never bought an Apple product (except Quicktime Pro). Ironically, I'm about to participate in a trial of using iPads in teaching, so I'll have my first taste of using an Apple hardware product. I know there will be many positive things about the product itself, but I imagine I will always chaff a bit about who makes it and their extreme proprietary control of the device.

ptyork
05-07-2010, 05:21 AM
Obviously, the public will never see what was actually said, but it's not that hard to figure out the basics of what happened...

Seriously, you are like a brain slug sucking out each and every word before it can reach my mouth (err fingers). Creepy dude!! :)

As to the original question, I agree with Jason. Apple makes some fine products, but I hate the company's culture. Consequently, I've never bought an Apple product (except Quicktime Pro)

I do actually own through my school a MacBook and an iPod Touch and through my own pocketbook an iPhone. But I get all convoluted inside every time I touch one of them. I am surprised to start to hear some of the more loyal fans rumble a bit about the evil that is emanating from Cupertino.

Ironically, I'm about to participate in a trial of using iPads in teaching, so I'll have my first taste of using an Apple hardware product. I know there will be many positive things about the product itself, but I imagine I will always chaff a bit about who makes it and their extreme proprietary control of the device.

Hey, would you mind writing up a few PP's about your experience? Maybe forward it to Jason or Jeff to publish. I'm really curious how you'll use it and how much it does/doesn't transform your teaching style. Also how the students perceive the changes.

Thanks!!

Deslock
05-08-2010, 02:47 PM
No joke, this is about 80% of why I've always felt conflicted about buying Apple products; they make some really good stuff, but their attitude as a company - which stems DIRECTLY from the guy at the top, Steve Jobs - just sucks. If Apple was a person that I met at a party, I'd punch Apple in the mouth.

There's not much question that Steve Jobs is a giant douchebag.

On the other hand, I'll take Apple's annoying smarminess and authoritarian approach over Microsoft's unethical tactics and abuses. Maybe that Apple has pissed me off only a couple times (like when they didn't approve Google Voice) is because Microsoft set the bar so low; after they issued directives about creating DR-DOS incompatibilities, threatened partners over Netscape, plotted to steal Java and break APCI for OSes other than Windows, funded SCO lawsuits, and implemented numerous EEE and FUD campaigns, I don't have high expectations for tech companies' business practices.

My point with this isn't to bash Microsoft, but to illustrate why I scratch my head when people comfortable buying from Microsoft say they're conflicted buying from Apple.

Boy, I really hate being devil's advocate here, or is it spawn of satan advocate, whatever. Have we heard from Apple what they said to her?, if anything? The report is, she said, Apple said, they didn't like it. Who? Lone attorney, Steve?. Did she get a cease and desist court order, threatened with a law suite if a public apology was not forthcoming?

Sven, waiting for details before forming and sharing one's opinion is not the message board way :)

ucfgrad93
05-11-2010, 11:29 PM
I thought her commercial was pretty funny. Apple over-reacted on this.

Jason Dunn
05-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Hey, would you mind writing up a few PP's about your experience? Maybe forward it to Jason or Jeff to publish. I'm really curious how you'll use it and how much it does/doesn't transform your teaching style. Also how the students perceive the changes.

Indeed - we'd be happy to have a guest column type post by you Rob. :)

Jason Dunn
05-11-2010, 11:40 PM
...because Microsoft set the bar so low; after they issued directives about creating DR-DOS incompatibilities, threatened partners over Netscape, plotted to steal Java and break APCI for OSes other than Windows, funded SCO lawsuits, and implemented numerous EEE and FUD campaigns, I don't have high expectations for tech companies' business practices.

No real disagreements from me on any of that, but that's all ancient history - in my books at least - whereas all the crap Apple has been pulling has been in the past few years. Microsoft has been a remarkably well-behaved corporate citizen for, what, almost a decade now? My sense in working with them over the past decade is that they've learned their lesson as a company. Not that they're all angels or anything, but overall, I feel like Microsoft tries to do the right thing more often than not.

Lee Yuan Sheng
05-12-2010, 02:42 AM
No real disagreements from me on any of that, but that's all ancient history - in my books at least - whereas all the crap Apple has been pulling has been in the past few years. Microsoft has been a remarkably well-behaved corporate citizen for, what, almost a decade now? My sense in working with them over the past decade is that they've learned their lesson as a company. Not that they're all angels or anything, but overall, I feel like Microsoft tries to do the right thing more often than not.

Moral of the story: All big MNCs need to be bitch-slapped every now and then into behaving well. :D