View Full Version : The Coolest Docking Station I've Ever Seen

Jason Dunn
04-19-2010, 11:33 PM
<p><object width="600" height="360" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/YOKu9uwdwZI&amp;ap=&fmt=18" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YOKu9uwdwZI&amp;ap=&fmt=18" /></object></p><p>Yes, it's for Apple products, but I really admire the ingenuity of the approach - most docks are ugly, clumsy, and generally poorly designed. This is the first dock I've seen that has a real "Of course! That makes so much sense!" approach. About the only problem I foresee with this dock is that because it relies upon user-placed physical cables, if the placement is off by even 1mm, it may not dock properly - or, worse, you may damage the port on the product. Still, it's an innovative approach. I often bemoan the lack of choice in the Apple world, but products like this are only possible when companies standardize their product lines and don't change form-factors very often. Although at these prices, it wouldn't be onerous to buy a new dock every time you bought a new laptop. I wonder if these guys will ever come out with a dock for a Windows laptop?</p><p>I also really admire the videography on this video - the actor was wearing some sort of wearable camera it seems, and it makes for a really interesting video. Well done!</p>

Lee Yuan Sheng
04-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Shaking + wide angle = puking sensation. I'll be right back.

ptyork
04-20-2010, 02:21 AM
Yeah, interesting video style, but I don't recommend moving to it for your unboxing videos. It really is a bit nausea-inducing. ;)

As for the docking mechanism, I agree that I'd be a bit nervous about breaking off a connector or damaging a port. Seems like docking has become an optional feature for most laptop manufacturers. Sad, really. I love docks...even when the fish aren't biting.

sundown
04-20-2010, 07:48 PM
I guess everyone is different but I loved this perspective and didn't feel nauseous at all. I would love to know more about what he used to record this video.

This dock is a great idea! Not bad for $60, even though I need to supply the cables.

Hooch Tan
04-22-2010, 05:58 AM
When I watched the video, I was reminded of seeing something very similar last year. After some hunting, I found it!

Gigabyte Booktop (http://www.liliputing.com/2009/03/gigabyte-booktop-a-netbook-that-thinks-its-a-desktop.html)

So the design is hardly unique, but I think it does make sense, assuming that you do not want to use the display of your net/notebook.

Most docking stations I've come across, from IBM/Lenovo, HP, Dell, have always been horizontal because they assume that you want to still use the laptop screen. I've seen people who do that, and have an extra monitor for dual screen goodness too. It's a trade off.

Jason Dunn
04-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Shaking + wide angle = puking sensation. I'll be right back.

Wow, you must be really sensitive to that sort of thing if it bothered you - maybe it's that huge 30" monitor of yours...did you watch it full screen? :)

Jason Dunn
04-23-2010, 05:49 PM
So the design is hardly unique, but I think it does make sense, assuming that you do not want to use the display of your net/notebook.

Indeed - I'm one of those people. I'd much rather take up less desk space having the notebook be vertical rather than horizontal; using a connected desktop monitor gives you a much bigger display space...I tend to have smaller-screened laptops/netbooks, (10" to 13.3"), so would prefer larger displays anyway.

Lee Yuan Sheng
04-26-2010, 05:46 AM
Wow, you must be really sensitive to that sort of thing if it bothered you - maybe it's that huge 30" monitor of yours...did you watch it full screen? :)

Nope. I'm just sensitive to bad camera work. Couldn't stand Blair Witch.