View Full Version : Online vs In-Store Pricing

Reid Kistler
03-31-2010, 10:09 PM
My computer system has been throwing a fit of late, with frequent lock-ups, random rebooting, & BSOD incidents.

After determining that the problem lay somewhere in the Vista installation (can also boot to XP, which runs without a hitch), decided it was time to finally install Win 7 - but only after first upgrading the second HD.

Prefer to buy HDs locally, and BestBuy.com had an attractive price on a 500GB Seagate. Their web store showed stock at a local store, so we ran over to pick one up.

Was surprised to find that the in-store price was higher than the web site price, especially given the fact that you can order the unit at the web price for nearly immediate in-store pick up.

Had a print out of the web page in hand, and - yes - they "adjusted" their store price to meet it: but only after a delay while they checked out the pricing at a computer terminal. (Which I got a chuckle out of, as my print out was clearly from THEIR site, although suppose print-outs could be faked....)

Of course, had I not done some price surfing beforehand I would not have known about the price differential, which was under $10, so not a huge amount (although a good 10% of the item's cost).

Will need to bear this in mind for future shopping expeditions.

PS: Don't ask how the "upgrade" is going - that is another post! :(