View Full Version : Charging using Apple power adapters

Bengal34
03-03-2010, 04:18 AM
I'm going to be picking up my HD later this week. I noticed that the power adapter has a USB plug. The same is done using the adapters for the iPods.

Would it be possible to just pick up a couple sync cables and plug them into those? I was thinking that it should be (USB has a standard of 5V). I'm just curious if anyone else converted from an iPod and kept using them.

I have a charging stand at home and work so if I can keep the old apple ones this would easily save me $20.

Sven Johannsen
03-05-2010, 05:49 AM
"USB has a standard of 5V". Yes it does but current is to be a consideration as well. A PC USB port is expected to deliver 500ma (.5A). Chargers tend to be rated for more. Devices draw current, chargers don't push it (or force it). A device that requires .5A will draw .5A whether it is connected to a USB port, a 2.5A (rated) charger, or a 5V source the size of a house. The caveat is that many small devices recognize whether they are connected to a USB port or a charger, and adjust their draw, based on that. Often that results in drawing more current when charged by a charger, and an associated reduction in charge time. So while a device may only ask for .5A when connected to a PC, it may draw an amp when connected to a charger. If connected to a charger that is only rated for .5 or .75A, the charger can overheat, and burn out, or worse, start a fire. Fortunately the rating is written on chargers. Unfortanately the charge current isn't readily available for most devices. So, you often have to just go with what is supplied, or something rated the same.

In your case, you are in luck. The charger that comes with Zunes is rated at 1A. The little cube charger that came with my iPhone is rated at 1A. (That one I needed reading glasses and a magnifying glass to read.) So, you should have no problem interchanging those chargers.