View Full Version : Windows Home Server: Shared Folder Question

Phillip Dyson
01-02-2010, 09:16 PM
I just setup my LX195 Mediasmart server. It created several default shared folders.
Music, Video, Photos, etc

Is there anyway to remove or hide these folders?

thanks

Andy Dixon
01-05-2010, 05:10 PM
As far as I know there isn't an official way to remove the shares. They are built in to the way WHS is designed to work.

It can be done with some messing in the registry, but there are issues with the WHS console failing to work afterwards, as well as other errors.

Is there any reason you don't want to use the default ones other than you would prefer to set your own structure up? Just curious.

I've just found this forum post (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssuggestions/thread/ec389192-7bfc-4c4d-91ba-ca6d83d48044) which may help. I've not tried it, but apparently you can turn on Access Enumeration which allows you to hide shares from being visible to anyone without permissions.

Phillip Dyson
01-06-2010, 03:57 AM
Is there any reason you don't want to use the default ones other than you would prefer to set your own structure up? Just curious.

If we planned on merging all of our media together these folders might make sense. But since we all have our own stuff these folders don't really have any meaning.

I did discover that I can use Remote Desktop to get to the OS and unshare them, but once WHS restarts they are shared again. Someone else suggested that I created folders and manually map them on my Wife's and daughter's computers.