View Full Version : Probably a silly question about HD cable signals

Macguy59
12-31-2009, 07:11 PM
I currently have HD cable via Comcast. If I were to buy the new Aspire Revo 3610 can I pass the already decoded HD video from the cable box to the Revo to be viewed through MCE (which will be connected to a Samsung 52" LCD) ? An addendum . . . It's not critical that I be able to record TV via the Revo as I can let the HD cable box w/DVR handle that. But it would be nice to be able to use the MCE puter to watch pretty much all of my video sources via one input on the TV if at all possible. I'm guessing that regardless, it will require some sort of TV tuner for the Revo? If so can the Tuner just be left on channel 3 or 4 and act as a pass through even for HD content ? Will HD content still look HD or will it get converted to analog ? AARRGGHHH ! This is your chance to get a Mac user's toe into the Windows 7 pool :D

Reid Kistler
01-01-2010, 01:04 AM
What is your purpose for this arrangement?

As far as I can determine from your post, it is simply to permit ALL of your video sources to have access to your tv through only ONE input - ??

IF that is indeed your only goal, WHY is it important? Out of input jacks on the tv?

FWIW, would not run a HD signal through any device / connection that is not necessary. If the problem is a lack of HDMI inputs on the TV, would consider a HDMI Switch - eldest son runs one with minimal problems (some initial set up issues), and it USUALLY senses the active input device and switches itself automatically.

Another options, of course, would be a HTR with HDMI (& Component) switching built in - although that is likely to be rather more costly than a simple switch...

Good Luck - & Happy New Year!

Macguy59
01-11-2010, 04:26 AM
What is your purpose for this arrangement?

As far as I can determine from your post, it is simply to permit ALL of your video sources to have access to your tv through only ONE input - ??

IF that is indeed your only goal, WHY is it important? Out of input jacks on the tv?

FWIW, would not run a HD signal through any device / connection that is not necessary. If the problem is a lack of HDMI inputs on the TV, would consider a HDMI Switch - eldest son runs one with minimal problems (some initial set up issues), and it USUALLY senses the active input device and switches itself automatically.

Another options, of course, would be a HTR with HDMI (& Component) switching built in - although that is likely to be rather more costly than a simple switch...

Good Luck - & Happy New Year!

You deduced correctly. I want to simply the process as much as possible for the lady of the house