View Full Version : Organizing the gadget mess?

Paul Martin
12-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Over time I've accumulated more than my fair share of devices. Along with them come chargers, cables, extra batteries, docks, etc. etc. What do you do with it all? How do you organize it, especially for stuff you only need on occasion, such as that backup usb cable, etc.? My gadget cup runneth over and I'm not sure where to put it all. :D

Paul

Reid Kistler
12-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Am guessing that no one has a Really Great Solution to your problem!

We use clear plastic storage drawers & stackable boxes to hold those peripherals that either do not fit within the carry case for the item in question, or which simply do not need to be routinely carried along.

For example, we have a box for Rechargeable Batteries, including adapters & charging units; a box for Non-rechargeable batteries; one for PDA accessories - and so on.

I also have several small to medium storage drawer sets arranged around my desk area where "frequent need" items are kept at hand (many of these are not technology related, of course).

Many items that are less frequently needed - various cables and wires come to mind - end up in Labeled Cardboard Boxes, such as "Speaker Wire," and "A/V Cables." These also stack, of course, and are reasonably cheap (it is what comes in them that tends to be expensive!), & ecologically friendly. :)

Owner's Manuals, and other such paperwork, are stored in a file cabinet, either by type ("Home Theater"; "Printers"; "Camera Gear") or by specific model / brand if required by amount of literature (keep one file for "Brother Printers," as the Printer & Network User's Guides run to some length!).

Good luck finding an organization solution!

Paul Martin
12-23-2009, 03:08 AM
Thanks, Reid! I was actually thinking about some of those clear boxes. Just curious how / where you store the boxes. We are limited in hide-away spots. :)

Paul

Reid Kistler
12-29-2009, 11:33 PM
The nicest media storage boxes we have are from Snapware or Really Useful Products - a bit more expensive than generic ones, but they both look nice & stack well enough that we keep a few of them (4, by actual count) on the book shelves in our main office.

These are in addition to 6 3-drawer bins (in 3 sizes!), one single-drawer unit, and a larger Sterilite box - most of which are within easy reach of my computer desk, and hold a hodgepodge of tech and non-tech items.

We have the advantage of a full basement, with a fair sized room devoted to various Computer Repair & Renovation Projects, and that is where most of the tech products live, either in plastic or small-to-mid sized cardboard containers - which are surprisingly well labeled. :)

We have found that wire shelving units work very well for storing things: they come in various HxWxD sizes, the shelves adjust to the nearest inch, they are strong, look quite nice (much better than traditional utility shelving!), and the open backs & sides leave a room feeling more "open" than a bookcase would.

Good Luck in finding a solution that fits your needs!

Reid