View Full Version : Looking for a Universal Remote

Phillip Dyson
12-13-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm currently looking for universal remote.
My setup includes a

Comcast HD cable box
Xbox 360 (DVDs & Netflix)
HTPC (SageTV w/ USBIRT box)

I'm about to upgrade my HTPC to Windows 7 and suspect that I may be tempted to switch to Windows Media Center but I'm not sure.

I also plan to purchase a dedicated DVD changer (likely blue-ray).

Touchscreen might be cool but my price range is around $100.00

doogald
12-13-2009, 06:42 PM
I've got a Logitech Harmony 680 (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Advanced-Universal-Control/dp/B00093IIRA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260725829&sr=8-6) and it is all sorts of awesome - it just works. In one entertainment center, we have a Samsung HDTV, DVD/VCR combo, cable box DVR, DVD recorder, and Yamaha sound bar and this thing integrates whichever activity you want to do perfectly, no fuss, and it "remembers" which devices are on and off, and which state they are in, when you switch from one activity to another. At another center upstairs, we have another Samsung HDTV, a DVD/VCR combo, cable box, and xbox 360 - again, perfect.

Logitech's software knows every device you can throw at it, too. If it doesn't, it has an infrared receiver to learn any commands that it needs to learn.

We've used cheaper Harmony's (the monochrome screened ones, which use AAA batteries) and they are not so good. This one, though, is great.

Phillip Dyson
12-17-2009, 03:34 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. My previous remote was a Logitech Harmony 520. Monochrome. I was ... just okay. Not much wow factor.

I'll try out the one you linked to. By the way you linked to an 880. What that intentional?

Unfortunately I'm banned from making any purchases until after Christmas. Lest I buy something that is already under the tree. I'll definitely check this out as soon as I can.

doogald
12-17-2009, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. My previous remote was a Logitech Harmony 520. Monochrome. I was ... just okay. Not much wow factor.

I'll try out the one you linked to. By the way you linked to an 880. What that intentional?

Yes, the "680" was a typo. It is, in fact, an 880.

I've had multiple 500 series monochrome units that had buttons that stopped working. This one is definitely better quality; the buttons are better, etc.