View Full Version : App store offers eWallet 7

Sven Johannsen
12-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Be careful. The update to eWallet in the APP Store is free. Once you update you can no longer sync with your desktop running 6.x. Depending on your situation the desktop upgrade may cost you an upgrade fee.

If you have the presence of mind, and/or are slow to empty trash, when you upgrade eWallet the 6.x ipa will still be in your trash can, and you could revert back on your iPhone.

There is no good way in the App Store to turn off the annoying 1 tag on your apps, that will haunt you until you upgrade, and you will not be able to take advantage of the Upgrade All Free quick click, if you wish to stay at version 6 to avoid the desktop upgrade cost.

I have seen many posts ascribing nefarious intent on the part of Ilium, tricking, or forcing, folks into buying upgrades, I don't believe that for a second. This is just an unfortunate side-effect of how the App store works, making upgrades typically free, and super simple to apply. This is likely the first time a significant upgrade to an application that also has a desktop component that syncs, has come up. There are some un-intended consequences that weren't considered.

From my point of view, it would seem the cost of keeping up to date is going to be $10 for my iPhone, Pure and Desktop. A bargain for this software, IMHO. If that is too steep for you, be careful what you accept for free.

Sven Johannsen
12-02-2009, 04:07 AM
OK, update. Ilium, as the great company they, are produced a fix, post haste. It may be a bit hard to find though, so here is the link.
http://blog.iliumsoft.com/2009/12/01/ewallet-6-to-ewallet-7-iphone-sync-compatibility/

They have produced a 6 version for the desktop that will sync with the 7 version on the iPhone. That way, if you have opted for the free, easy update to 7 on your iPhone via the App store in iTunes, you can 'update your 6 desktop version to work with it for nuthin', but the download.