View Full Version : WMP 12 (Win7) + Mobile 6.5 = No sync?

Philip Colmer
11-16-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm connecting an HTC HD2 (Windows Mobile 6.5) to a Windows 7 device. I open Windows Media Player 12, click on the Sync tab and it says "Connect a device". Windows Mobile Device Center says the phone is connected.

I thought you could sync from Windows Media Player to Windows Mobile? Am I wrong or am I overlooking something?

Thanks.

Philip Colmer
11-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Sussed it - the computer seems to have needed a reboot after the drivers for syncing with WM got installed. Weird - and poor behaviour.

So I'm now managing to sync recorded TV programmes over to the HD2 but I'm not very happy with the end result. The HD2 has a great screen but the size of the video image doesn't fill the screen! There is a massive black border around the video when I tell Media Player to go full screen.

If anyone has any suggestion to settings, etc, for syncing up the WTV files onto the HD2, I'd appreciate it, otherwise I'll keep on playing.

Sven Johannsen
11-18-2009, 10:56 PM
I would hate to think that the built in conversion that has always existed in the Media Player to Windows Mobile (or Pocket PC) process is still convinced that 320x240 is the resolution required, but I wouldn't be surprised. That issue existed when Dell came out with a higher res screen (640x480) than was currently the norm. The only option was to convert with some other program and copy via file explorer. You would think that the Media Player folks would have allowed the process to determine the appropriate resolution for the device attached by now.

Philip Colmer
11-18-2009, 11:21 PM
I would hate to think that the built in conversion that has always existed in the Media Player to Windows Mobile (or Pocket PC) process is still convinced that 320x240 is the resolution required, but I wouldn't be surprised. That issue existed when Dell came out with a higher res screen (640x480) than was currently the norm. The only option was to convert with some other program and copy via file explorer. You would think that the Media Player folks would have allowed the process to determine the appropriate resolution for the device attached by now.
Weirdly enough, for some reason I thought that Media Player did precisely that! Funny how logic just doesn't really apply these days ...

Yeah, I guess I'll just have to use something else to perform the transcoding. Such a shame that the two newest OSes out of Microsoft just don't even talk properly to each other :(.