View Full Version : App/Tweak to turn PDA on when charging?

Greensheep2k9
11-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Well I guess this is a bit of an odd request since after an hour of searching googling like a mad man I havent foind anything that could work, lol.

Basically I'm after an app/reg tweak that will primarily bring a WM5/6 device out of standby when power is applied (i.e. when it starts charging.)

It would be handy if it could also put the device back into standby when power is removed and its back on batteries although I could do this seperately with the standard WM power options.

I could go into the reasons as to why I need to do this, but they're long and boring and since I'm here to ask for help and responses I think it would be best to not put you all to sleep, lol.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jon

Reid Kistler
11-14-2009, 03:15 AM
No ready solutions :( ---- but am Very Curious as to WHY you need this ability - ? :confused:

And it is Possible that someone may have a suggestion for you if they knew the end you are trying to reach....

Sven Johannsen
11-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Charge it from a PC USB Port? Mine invariably turn on in that config. Actually hadn't noticed that they don't, if it is just a wall wart they are plugged into. In fact some do, see below.

Tried a couple of things, but you need to do some testing of your own.

I have a Gomadic charge station (Universal Charging Station (http://www.gomadic.com/chargingstation.html)). If you check on Gomadic's tip exchange stuff you will find that there are different tips for charge and charge/sync. For example, my iMate JasJar which uses mini-USB calls for a charger #24, and a USB (sync and charge) #21. When I plug my AT&T Pure (also mini-USB) into the station with a tip #21 it turns on. When plugged into a #24, it does not turn on. Both charge.

So, a Pure, plugged in to a Gomadic Charge Station, using a #21 tip, turns on.

Now the bad news. Using a Gomadic Cable, USB Cables (http://www.gomadic.com/usb-cables-cat.html), and tip #21, and a Zune wall wart, my Pure does NOT turn on, though it charges. Tried with a Lil' Sync Penguin (Review of PocketPC Tech's Lil' Sync Penguin & Pro Cable on Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com! (http://www.clintonfitch.com/reviews/ppctech/lilsync/default.asp)) and #21, and it charges but does NOT turn on either. Neither Zune or Penguin charger turn the Pure on with a #24 tip either.

Just to verify stuff, I tried my AT&T Tilt, and surprise, it does turn on when just plugged into a Zune wall wart with regular charge cable (no Gomadic involved). It also turns on with a #21 tip, Gomadic cable, and the Penguin or Zune charger, but not the #24 tip. Same with the Gomadic Charge Station, On with the #21, Not with the #24. (Tilt calls for #24 for charge and #21 for sync/charge like the JasJar)

So, for my Pure, using the Charge Station and #21 tip does turn it on, and charges it. The Tilt, about anything turns it on except the #24 tip. So it seems possible, even with a hardware solution, but it does appear dependent on some stuff.

Don't know what device(s) you have, but it might be worth trying some assorted stuff you have then maybe grabbing some Gomadic stuff and experimenting. Maybe e-mail them and see if they can help.