View Full Version : Problems with Zune & Xbox 360

garthommail.comas1
05-31-2007, 09:31 PM
Hi Folks

I am fairly new to Zune and really have only got into the media player becaue it allows streaming of videos to the Xbox 360. Now the problem that I have is that only two of my movies can be viewed through the Xbox. The others tend to be avi's.

As far as I am aware I should be able to log onto my PC as administrator, open Zune, options, playback, more options, file types, select all then OK. Once this has been done I should be then able to view all of my videos through the xbox.

However I select all, click OK, come out of the screen, when I go back into the screen all of the boxes are unchecked.

I have searched high and low for a solution (which I am sure someone with a bit more technical know how would be able to sort in a second) and I came across you guys.

I really hope someone can help with this as it is driving me insane!!!!

Can anyone help with this?? Alternatively do I have to use encoders as per other threads I have read on this site?? This really would be a last alternative to me as I do not have a zune portable media player I probably wouldn't bother. any help would be really greatfully received.

Thanks

Jason Dunn
06-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Ok, there's some conflicting/confusing information here - when I follow the steps you outlined, I don't have a File Types tab. I'm on Windows Vista though, and I think the Vista install of the Zune software removed the file types tab, because it's also missing in Windows Media Player 11 - file types are managed by the OS.

However, the tab you're talking about only relates to what program will open (in this case, the Zune software) when you open said file type. It's not related to sharing at all.

To control sharing, you'll want to look under OPTIONS > LIBRARY > MEDIA SHARING. It's worth noting as well that even if you can play a file type in the Zune software, that doesn't mean the Xbox 360 can play it - the Xbox 360 only supports WMV, MPEG2, and a few flavours of h.264. So if your files are in AVI format using the DivX encoder, it won't play on the Xbox 360 regardless of what Zune software settings you have.

To play other types of files, check out something like Encode 360 (http://happybeggar.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=75&Itemid=28).

I hope this helps a little!

Talyn
06-06-2007, 07:26 PM
I used the Zune software for streaming to my 360 long before I actually owned a Zune. Yes, Windows Media Player 11 will also handle the streaming, I didn't know that since the 360 pointed me to get the Zune software. However, nice thing about Zune is you can specify which 360 to allow sharing (just in case there are multiple 360's able to connect to your network) whereas WMP11 only allows open 360 sharing.

In any event, as Jason said, the 360 (and Zune device) only supports a few codecs, primarily WMV. If you do not have a Media Center edition of Windows (I don't) then you're out of luck with Encode360. I just use Windows Movie Maker (comes free with XP and Vista) to convert the files to WMV then stream to the 360. When downloading videos like trailers, etc. I always look for WMV versions first, and WMV-HD if it's available so I don't have to bother converting.

michael1414
06-16-2007, 02:18 AM
if i buy a zune how compatible is it. What i mean is if i download something from a program like morpheus or limewire can i put it on my zune (audio and video). Also is the zune compatible with windows media player in any way. Can you download files directly from WMP or does it act as a middle man with the zune software or is non-usable like it was with my ipod. Any help would be appreciated

Jason Dunn
06-18-2007, 08:55 PM
if i buy a zune how compatible is it. What i mean is if i download something from a program like morpheus or limewire can i put it on my zune (audio and video).

If it's music in MP3, WMA, or AAC format, yes. If it's video in WMV format, yes. If it's video in MP4 format, it will transcode it. Video compatibility will really vary depending on the content you downloaded.

Also is the zune compatible with windows media player in any way. Can you download files directly from WMP or does it act as a middle man with the zune software or is non-usable like it was with my ipod.

You need to use the Zune software to work with your Zune - Windows Media Player 11 can't "see" it.