View Full Version : Third Time's a Charm - Panasonic GF1 Preview

Lee Yuan Sheng
10-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Introduction

http://i33.tinypic.com/29xcac9.jpg

Panasonic Singapore very kindly invited a number of photographers for a preview of the GF1. Having watched the Micro Four Thirds movement with great interest since its introduction (Disclaimer: I own a GH1), I signed up as soon as I heard about the event.

Micro Four Thirds, for those who are unfamiliar, is a new system developed by Panasonic and Olympus, which uses the same sensor size as the standard Four Thirds system, but removes the mirror and uses a live view system for composing. What makes it exciting is that it allows for small cameras with quality traditionally associated with DSLRs.

The GF1 is Panasonic's third Micro Four Thirds camera in the space of one year, showing Panasonic's eagerness in this area of the camera market. The GF1 is designed as a small and compact camera with compact camera aesthetics, unlike the G1 and GH1, which were shaped more like small DSLRs. It is not too dissimilar to the Olympus E-P1, launched a few months earlier. I personally never liked the E-P1 much; poor AF alogrithms with unappealing UI and handling characteristics (feels like a brick, handles like one) meant it did not endear itself to me.

The Event

http://i33.tinypic.com/hte25x.jpg

Panasonic's marketing executives started the event with a probe for feedback from the participants, followed by a short presentation of Panasonic's commitment to the G family of cameras, as well as some details of the new camera.

The main question on everyone's mind, price and availability in the Singapore market, was not answered. Panasonic Singapore's marketing team were still deciding on the specifics, but promised to let us know as soon as possible once the details were finalised. I suspect it will not be too far from the current US pre-order price of US$899.

Panasonic did assure us they would step up in improving the supply issues locally. While nowhere as bad as the US (the GH1 is not hard to come by), things like batteries, lenses and accessories can be difficult to get at times.

After emphasising the GF1's strengths compared to its competitors, the cameras were unveiled, and everyone was allowed to get their hands on and have a go. We were told the cameras were freshly flown in from Berlin, after IFA 2009, dubbed Fauxtokina (thanks, T.O.P.) for its large number of camera launches.

The Camera

http://i35.tinypic.com/j76y5i.jpg

I managed to fiddle with the samples for about twenty minutes in all. In the short time I used it, it reminded in some ways of my old (and now very lost) LX2. Its design in some ways not too different from an enlarged LX3, with a small handgrip, and smooth rounded sides. The 40mm f/1.7 flat profile is not too unlike the protruding lens barrel on the LX series. The body itself is made of metal; I suspect it to be some aluminium alloy, anodised in grey, red or black. As Panasonic was not able to secure the white version, I am unable to report on is quality and type of the finish.

The camera has Panasonic's standard UI, which is quite functional, though I believe the menu system could do with a redesign. Mainly, Panasonic still seem unsure what goes into the Shooting Menu, the Setup Menu, or the Custom Function Menu. For example I expect something like the setting for the custom Fn. button to be in the Custom menu, but it is in the setup menu. Hmm. But pixel mapping is in the Custom menu, not Setup. One wonders.

There appears to be a new addition to the UI; upon spinning the command dial to change the aperture, shutter speed, or exposure compensation, two sliders will pop up and show the corresponding changes in aperture and shutter speed. While helpful to beginners, I find it obscuring a fair amount of the screen.

Having the command dial on the back and accessible to the right thumb is something I much prefer. Using the thumb to swipe at a wheel is easier than using the first or second fingers. Though it could be just me being used to Nikons. The command dial is still of the click type, which is something that annoys me to no end.

To digress a little, having a command dial that clicks usually means that to confirm the chosen setting after twirling the dial to it, one has to depress on the wheel to click it. This is akin to having a dialog box that pops up after you've made a setting change asking "ARE YOU REALLY SURE?"

Of course I'm sure. If not I'll change it back. Don't slow me down in the field, thank you!

Personally I would like to see a combined command dial and joystick (from the LX series) UI. Command dial for the major settings (shutter, aperture) and the joystick to be fully customisable to allow control of settings like AF point, or White Balance, or ISO, or others, or any sensible combination of the above. Oh well. Maybe for the next batch of cameras.

On to the other areas of operation: Testing out the AF did not bring up any unpleasant surprises. In many ways this is one of Panasonic's biggest advantage in the G lineup; speedy contrast-detect AF. Like any system that depends on autofocus motors in the lenses, the lenses will play a large part in the AF speed. The Panasonic 40mm f/1.7 shown is not one of the fastest lenses I've used. Compared to the 14-140mm f/4-5.8 HD lens, it is noticeably slower, and is certainly not the silent wonder the 14-140mm is.

The little pop-up flash on the GF1 is another selling point. While its GN of 6 appears to be weak, I am more concerned about the incredibly complex mechanism that forms the flash pop-up. It seems that in order to accommodate a built-in flash in the GF1, Panasonic had to fold the flash down flat on the top of the camera instead of having the usual flash block sunken into the camera body. One wonders how much such a complex contraption adds to the manufacturing cost and time.

Most will moan that the GN of 6 means the camera is hardly going to light anything up in a dark room. Of course it will not. Built-in flashes typically are terrible as the sole light source; the usefulness of such a flash is actually when in broad daylight, where the built-in flash acts as a fill-light for the people standing a few metres away from the photographer. It is nice to not have to pack a flash (especially when there are no decent compact flashes in the Four Thirds system) for the times when a little bit of fill-flash is called for.

The last talking point is the add-on EVF, a la the Ricoh GX100/200. The accessory EVF, which costs US$200, slips onto the hotshoe and connects via a series of pins below the hotshoe. The EVF flips up, so it can also be used as a right-angle finder; extremely handy since the GF-1 lacks the articulating LCD of its cousins. There is a button that lens you switch between the EVF and the LCD. Unfortunately it is on the right side, which is not the most convenient of places to reach for when the camera is being held.

The view from the EVF itself is what I would call adequate, but not spectacular. The size of the view is not very big; it is definitely smaller than the G1's and GH1's EVF. It is also not as detailed, and seems to lag a bit more. I tried a spot of manual focusing; it does not seem to be as easy compared to the GH1. However it might be because I am not used to it. On the plus point it is definitely better than having no EVF at all; the stability gained from being able to hold the camera up to the eye is significant. While the LCD is great (like the other G cameras, it is a 320x480 HVGA screen), it is not my preferred tool for framing unless I am positioning the camera at an awkward angle.

Video

Before I go on to the stills part, I am going to make a brief mention about video: There is nothing to see here for the video enthusiast. AVCHD Lite means the camera is restricted to 720p, there is no manual mode in video unlike the GH-1 (it is fully automatic), and there is no articulating LCD. Video on this camera is geared mostly towards the consumer or occasional job. If you are looking for something that can do serious video, look for the GH1. The local Panasonic representative also stressed that for video, the GH1 would be a more suitable camera.

ISO Samples

One of the reasons why the Micro Four Thirds cameras are interesting is because of the larger sensor, which brings about better high ISO performance. Here are some samples, compared to my GH1. Due to the limited time I had I shot only at three ISO settings: 400, 800 and 1600. The test target of a black nylon bag will approximate both shadow noise as well as low contrast detail (due to the nylon's texture).

http://i37.tinypic.com/2eeigdf.jpghttp://i38.tinypic.com/hv740j.jpghttp://i34.tinypic.com/2n7h9c.jpghttp://i35.tinypic.com/33wwphw.jpghttp://i37.tinypic.com/o083o2.jpghttp://i38.tinypic.com/2s0fx1f.jpg

Considering the hasty "test", it might not be wise to draw a firm conclusion. However it does seem that the GF1, being based on the G1's sensor package, is not quite as good as the excellent one in the GH1. I personally think for those who routinely print up to 8 x 10, ISO 1600 images carefully processed with noise reduction software will do quite well. For the very picky, stick with ISO 800 or less.

Conclusion

As the saying goes, "Third Time's a Charm". The GF1 is a charming camera, and might just bring Panasonic the luck it needs to gain market share in a very tightly contested area. Its small size, large sensor, and fast AF might be what Panasonic needs to get people to open up their wallets with. Not being to the market first might have cost it somewhat, with Olympus's E-P1 proving to be rather popular despite being somewhat mediocre in operation. I look forward to the retail release of the camera. I am certainly eager to see the 40mm f/1.7 go on sale!