View Full Version : Zune Firmware 1.4 Being Released Today

Jason Dunn
05-31-2007, 07:37 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://zuneinsider.com/archive/2007/05/31/firmware-update-1-4-today.aspx' target='_blank'>http://zuneinsider.com/archive/2007/05/31/firmware-update-1-4-today.aspx</a><br /><br /></div>Here's <a href="http://zuneinsider.com/archive/2007/05/31/firmware-update-1-4-today.aspx" target="_blank">the word</a> from Zune team member Cesar Menendez:<br /><br /><em>&quot;Today at 10:00 am PT, we'll be releasing Firmware Update 1.4. This update (it's firmware only; software is still 1.3) brings an improved shuffle experience. For those slightly more technical readers, the direct word from the dev team: &quot;this firmware update makes successive shuffle actions produce more random lists.&quot;&quot;</em><br /><br />So...shuffle? That's it? I'm turning blue holding my breath waiting for the Zune team to release a firmware with something useful - better WiFi, better photo scaling, MPEG4 support...something. ANYTHING. And we get better shuffle support? I didn't even know that was broken. I'm disappointed. If you want to get the new firmware, just connect your Zune and it should detect the new firmware - if it doesn't, right-click on the Zune name and select the option to check for updates.

priesmeyer
05-31-2007, 08:07 PM
Full Disclosure - I've sold my Zune. I really miss my device, but it was too restrictive for me - I enjoy subscription services but I have 3 other mp3 players in my household (including my portable media center) which all liked the Urge service and the Zune neither played along with them nor allows them to play with the Markeplace. So I had to make a choice - the Zune or my family. Believe me, it was a tough choice. I hope one day to return to the Zune fold. But it's up to Microsoft to open the device up to Playsforsure. Assuming that doesn't happen, then I'll have to move on.
A firmware update to fix shuffling? Puhlease. Sure, I noticed that a lot of the same artists came up time and again when I had it on shuffle. Would I have rated that in my top 20 problems with the device or my wishlist of updates/enhancements? NO WAY.

So Zune decides it's important to a.) release devices in new colors b.) change their marketing campaign a bit c.) fix shuffling

But no playsforsure content, no podcast support, no opening up the softare to Windows Media Player. No thanks.

I'm really not a negative person and I hope my post doesn't come across that way. I liked the Zune but I just couldn't take it anymore. And I hope Zune 2.0 comes around to meet me in the middle.

Damion Chaplin
05-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Disappointed? Yep. Surprised? Nope.

MS has a history of following their own plan and not listening (or caring?) about what us end users think. They just chug along and release things the way they think they ought to (or the way some bigwig has told them to).

Fix XP? Yeah right, have some Vista instead. :confused:

David Tucker
05-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Well actually, while not a huge release...I wasn't exactly expecting one today. I didn't even know one was coming out. I heard there's an announcment coming soon.

As for this update...um, this is actually pretty nice. I use shuffle and its not that great. If I hit the 'rock/metal' genre, I'd rather not hear the exact same songs every morning on shuffle. Which is what happens now.

And complaining about Vista being released instead of 'fixing' XP (what needs fixing anymore I don't know...)? Please.

LPD
05-31-2007, 09:58 PM
http://zuneinsider.com/archive/2007/05/31/firmware-update-1-4-today.aspx
If you want to get the new firmware, just connect your Zune and it should detect the new firmware - if it doesn't, right-click on the Zune name and select the option to check for updates.

The above does not work for me. Try the following:

Start Zune software and connect your Zune.
On the right at the top select the SYNC tab.
Under "Sync Options" you should see your Zune's name and you can select check for device updates there.
Then follow the pop-up dialog box.

LPD
05-31-2007, 10:06 PM
I didn't use shuffle much so I don't remember if this is new but with FW ver 1.4 while playing an album or playlist I can click the center button and I now have an option to turn shuffle on or off. I thought before I had to go into Settings/Music to do that. Is this new in 1.4 or did I not notice this before?

David Tucker
05-31-2007, 10:09 PM
Is this new in 1.4 or did I not notice this before?

You failed to notice it ;)

MarxMarvelous
05-31-2007, 10:23 PM
Fix XP? Yeah right, have some Vista instead. :confused:

That's a bit of a leap. What do you call XP SP2? 1 year of dev time (on a huge team) given away for free.

Darius Wey
06-01-2007, 11:33 AM
So uh... I don't recall past firmware updates restoring my device to factory default settings? What happened this time? :confused:

julioangelortiz
06-04-2007, 01:20 AM
I ran the 1.4 update with no problems and no resets to the factory defaults.

I'm actually glad for this update. I use Shuffle quite a bit, as I use the Zune in my car and rarely listen to radio.

Sure, I'd like to see an update with more features, but this is what, the third update in six or so months since the Zune's release? At least Microsoft is showing an interest in development of the product, and hopefully we'll see some more dynamite features in future firmware revisions.