View Full Version : I want to be "undiverged"

hazcaddy
09-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Following up on the thread "Is the PDA dead", I am one of the (apparently) few people who wants a PDA. Not a Smartphone, just a PDA. If I want to call someone, I'll use my cellphone but, giving away my age, most of the time my cellphone is off and stored in the glovebox of my car.

I guess I don't feel the need to be "always on", and my cellphone is for making calls, not taking calls. There are plenty of places where folks can leave me a voicemail message and I'll get back to them - am I the last dinosaur to think like this?

However, I use my PDA all the time. Lately, it has shown a few signs of impending illness, if not terminal illness. So my daily asset (an iPAQ hx2410) may be on its last legs, yet I cannot find a device with an equivalent capability unless it is "converged".

Doing the search on forums like this, and others, I thought the iPAQ211 would work but when you go to the site and drill down, it says it has a life expectancy (regarding usefulness rather than physical durability, I suppose) of three years. As it has been out for a while, why should I spend $500+ for a now self-admitted obsolescent device?

Your thoughts?

Sven Johannsen
09-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Probably don't have much choice. I have a 211 and it is a fine device. Still does everything that it did when I got it, and does it well. Without some insight that says HP, or someone else, will be building a WM 6.5 Classic device (no phone), I don't think you would be dissappointed with the 211. P.S. it is only $400. Less if you shop around. http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Hewlett-Packard-iPAQ-211~S-6~OR-0#stt

Phillip Dyson
09-29-2009, 12:03 PM
One option is to buy a smartphone and turn the phone off. You'll probably have plenty of choices since you wont be limted to what bands it supports.

Reid Kistler
10-06-2009, 02:13 AM
My daughter-in-law purchased one of the small iPaqs - pretty sure it was the 110/111 model - a bit over a year ago, to run a program required for her Pharmacy internship.

Had the chance to use it briefly, and it seemed very impressive - although admittedly my standard of comparison was my 5 year old Dell Axim X30(mid), which still soldiers on.

(Even though a Fuze has become my constant companion, the X30 still sees daily use, AND still goes along when traveling: it has two batteries, neither of which get sucked up by telephone / texting usage!)

machidiel
12-08-2009, 09:30 AM
I have an Ipaq 211 and a very basic cellphone. I use my 211 more than my cellphone and I'd cry harder if it got lost because it's a lot more expensive and a lot more useful for me.

If your PDA is on its last legs, just search for a bargain price 110/211 and keep your old cellphone.