View Full Version : Best (reliable, fast, simple and free) online solution out there?

humayunl
09-24-2009, 09:09 PM
Hello,

I'm looking for a simple online backing up solution. Something that'll let me specify what I want backed up and just do it to an online location.

I'm using LIVE Mesh for this right now. I know its a syncing solution and not a backup solution but I am using it for backups - but i'm only backing up small stuff (little docs here and there). The reason: because I initially set it up as a syncing solution and its only by usage that it has ended up becoming a backup solution for me rather than a syncing solution.

Ideally i want to use Live Mesh for true sync (sync my eWallet file, my ListPro file and other files I want synchronized with my desktop etc.) And I want a true backup solution for backing up stuff.

The reason I don't want to backup to a fixed location is that I travel a lot and may not always have that fixed location accessible (whether a network drive or an external disk). So online is the next best thing. I understand that bandwidth will be an issue but after the first major backup, i dont expect to be backing up too much volume.

What do I want to back up?
- My OneNote folder (with various notebooks) < 100MB
- My Documents folder - which is large but not huge (less than 500MB)
- My PST - thsi is big. I have an exchange server account but my archive PST is over 2GB and I want it periodically backed up (i have outlook set to archive every 15 days).
- Maybe some other stuff - not significant in size

Is Live Mesh good for that kinda thing? I don't remember how much space we have on Live Mesh.

- Does Windows 7 have native support for online backups? i.e. is Live Mesh built into Win 7?
- Is online backing up even a good solution for someone with my needs?
- Maybe I should do my PST to a fixed (network or external) drive and the rest online?

I just wanted suggestions from others who have been in a similar situation and would have suggestion on how best to do this.

Thanks.

jdigit3l
12-01-2009, 07:56 PM
livemesh should work fine for your purposes, so long as you have internet access and livemesh is up, its a good resource for syncronization or general backup.

i believe livemesh offers 5GB online storage.

theres also skydrive which is also a microsoft online storage with 25GB capacity and you can use skydrive explorer to integrate it into your shell

http://skydriveexplorer.com/

of course theres a lot of other online storage out there thats free. i would suggest reading into where your going to put your files, (especially pst files) as some online services are "use at your own risk." so if your account is compromised or corrupted, your sol or worse. hotmail/livemesh would be an example of the possibility of this situation.

if you want a failsafe solution with support youll have to shell out $$ for amazon or carbonite or something