View Full Version : HTC Touch Pro 2 - new user queries

terrypin
07-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Also posted this in the HTC forum yesterday, but maybe there are some HTC users here who can advise please?

--------------------

I finally replaced my 6 year old iPAQ 2210/2215 with an HTC Touch Pro 2 a couple of days ago. I'd appreciate advice on a few points please. Thought this would be better than raising each one separately.

1. I make/receive relatively few mobile phone calls so I prefer to use the TP2 in a rather similar mode to previously. IOW, more as a Pocket PC than a phone. Am I right that the Today screen cannot co-exist simultaneously with TouchFlo3D - it's one or the other?

2. Assuming that's the case, is there some way I can quickly restore the TouchFlo UI when I do need it? Or must I go through Settings > Today > Items and re-check that box (losing all my other checkmarks)?

3. I can get to most of the TouchFlo features anyway from the Today screen. But one at least has defeated me: that nice Weather program, which I like a lot. Any suggestions on how to build a shortcut to it please, even if not with the fancy animation?

4. I'm concerned to maximise battery life. I can turn off WiFi and Blutetooth. Is it possible to turn off GPS when I'm not using it?

5. I've so far not found a built-in backup tool (like iPAQ Backup). Is there one, or must I use a 3rd party tool like Sprite Backup?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Report this post

Reid Kistler
07-24-2009, 04:09 AM
Am I right that the Today screen cannot co-exist simultaneously with TouchFlo3D - it's one or the other?

There are at least 2 "Second Today" apps - one, per memory, using that actual name - that purport to allow to switch between TouchFlo & a "standard" Today screen.

Personal experience is that these work After A Fashion, but not Perfectly, although has been some months since trying one, so good chance things have improved.

Beyond that, try looking around a bit: there is a LOT of info on HTCs in general, and the Touch Pro / Diamond & TouchFlo interface in specific: would expect much the same for the Touch Pro 2 (and suspect there is a good chance that much of the hacks / tweaks would work the same).

The forms on xda-developers.com offer a broad range of info - but advice would be to READ through the interesting topics & try to gauge what changes are really worthwhile - as opposed to blindly trying something out....

terrypin
07-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Thanks rkistler. Making some progress via HTC and XDA forums.

The TouchFlo switchers I've tried (SecondToday and TouchFlo Detacher) are proving complex to configure and run, but I'll persist. Must say I'm surprised that no one has developed an easy-to-use toggle. IMO it should come with the product.

I also spent a similarly frustrating day trying to get a simple auto-rotate feature added (which again I think should be built-in). These appear to have been written for techies/developers, not 'end users' like me. But I eventually succeeded late last night with ChangeScreen, the only one that I found comprehensible.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK