View Full Version : Nikon Issues Service Advisory for D5000

Jason Dunn
07-16-2009, 05:13 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.nikon.ca/en/ServiceAdvisory.aspx' target='_blank'>http://www.nikon.ca/en/ServiceAdvisory.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"While Nikon takes great measures to assure high quality in its imaging products, it has come to our attention that an electronic component related to power control in some Nikon D5000 digital SLR cameras does not meet factory specifications and may, in certain circumstances, prevent the camera from turning on, thus preventing operation of the camera thereafter."</em></p><p>If you're a Nikon D5000 owner, take note: there may be something a little wonky with the power control on your D5000. If you've had trouble turning on your D5000, this would be why. Starting July 23rd, Nikon will be addressing this issue and covering shipping to and from the Nikon repair center. The Read link for this post goes to Nikon Canada, but you should be able to find something similar in your own country if Nikon has a local presence there. It's not great when a new product has problems, but it is great when a company steps up, admits the problem, and goes the extra mile to fix it. Nicely done Nikon!</p>

Reid Kistler
07-18-2009, 03:16 AM
but it is great when a company steps up, admits the problem, and goes the extra mile to fix it.

Had a similar experience with Canon: some models were subject to CCD failure, resulting in a "purple screen of death": any pictures taken were either streaked with purple OR entirely Purple. Psychedelic, but usually NOT the intent!

Canon was willing to repair / replace cameras suffering from this defect, without regard to warranty status: our A70 was so old that I nearly pitched it when the defect arouse, but contacted Canon & they Paid Shipping in both directions - and had the camera back WITHIN 3 DAYS, which was incredible!

On the other hand, we never received notice that such a defect was possible - or that Canon had a policy regarding it. Presumably this was because it had been linked to cameras used in Warm Environments & MI apparently did not fit that description.... ("Googling" 'Canon Purple Display' found their program.)

Lee Yuan Sheng
07-18-2009, 10:20 AM
That's not a Canon issue; that's a Sony issue, and it was quite a big one. Sony bore the cost of the servicing, and I don't think it was cheap. Despite Sony calling the problem "limited" it affected cameras belonging to many people I know, including my old IXUS V.