View Full Version : Is the Pocket PC dead?

BG-iPAQ211
07-15-2009, 07:13 PM
I have been reading a lot of forums that concern the Pocket PC. A lot of them have some sort of Pocket PC Phone or Smart Phone which I don't see as a true Pocket PC. I was wondering it the Pocket PC was dead. I mean the original PPC, the one without a phone integrated into it. I started out with the Palm IIIxe and upgraded to the iPAQ 3850, then went to the iPAQ hx4700, now I use the iPAQ211. This device is the best one so far, or at least ever. Now in the office were I work, everyone has an iPhone.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I have also been looking at the application for the pocket pc platform and they seem to be getting weaker, weaker in that they don't seen to be very robust. This would include freeware as well as shareware. It is also getting harder to find apps that don't need some sort of internet connection or GPS. Maps for example, when I am on the road, my PPC is not connected to the internet to be able to update the map, nor to I need GPS to navigate down the road. I am not that lost. A simple map will do. Fortunately, I still have Mapoplis to accomplish this but I haven't found any thing newer.:(<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I was wondering if anyone felt the same way. I would really like to hear what other people think.<o:p></o:p>

Russ Smith
07-17-2009, 01:35 AM
For a very long time I stuck with an un-converged solution, culminating in a combination of an iPAQ211 and cellular phone/modem connected via Bluetooth. I did find a number of applications that didn't require Internet connection, but I'd agree that they seem to be dwindling.

My original reasons for non-convergence were that I could update either phone or PPC without updating the other. However, issues kept getting in the way of enjoying my pair. So, recently, I plunked down for the Xperia X1 and, just a week ago, a RedFly. I'm really enjoying my new set-up.

So, is the PPC dead. It does seem that the focus of innovation is directed at the smartphone set. Unless that changes, the PPC isn't long for the world.

Reid Kistler
07-18-2009, 02:51 AM
A lot of them have some sort of Pocket PC Phone or Smart Phone (http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/#) which I don't see as a true Pocket PC. .... also...application for the pocket pc platform... seem to be getting weaker

There is certainly much fewer choices available if looking for a non-phone device (or, at least, that is true here in the US). However, one of our daughters did recently pick up a new iPaq (211?), and it seems like a fine PPC.

Personally, also moved to a 'converged' device late last year: both Razr phone & Axim PPC were getting long in the tooth, & qualified for discounted upgrade with AT&T, so picked up a Fuze (HTC Touch Pro). It is actually quite a fine PPC, although it has an unneeded keyboard, and I find the phone somewhat less convenient that the Razr (hard to take notes on the Fuze while simultaneously holding it up to ear to engage in conversation! Bluetooth headset certainly helps, but every now & then forget to turn everything on.... Please Hold...:o).

Although the Fuze is not a "pure" PPC - it does have a phone - would still consider it a "True" PPC: it runs all of the Axim software I have thrown at it - although did upgrade a couple of apps to newer releases, and have given up on Pocket Plus as it did not play well with TouchFlo, & found the "Second Today" apps less than satisfactory. Also, the Axim has Bluetooth, WiFi, and Infra-red radios, so in essence have simply traded the Infra-red for Phone... (oh: + FM, + GPS...:)).

What applications are you referring to with your "weaker & weaker" comment? As indicated, ALL of my major productivity apps moved quite well to the Fuze, as have the handful of games tried to date (not much on gaming, so admittedly a very small sample here!).
Would certainly not be surprised to find apps that do not work well with Windows Mobile 6x, but would expect alternatives to be available for most normal apps - ??

BG-iPAQ211
07-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Thank you for your thoughts.:) I guess one day I will go with the pc phone route.

Software:<O:p</O:p
Maybe "weak" was not a right word. Maybe I should have chosen incompatible, poor graphics, or not very useful. I don't write software so I guess I can't complain too much. <O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

I would really like to see a non-phone PPC with a built in modem. It would really be cool to have a hand held device that I can connect to the internet anywhere, wi-fi or not. Also have my laptop use this PPC as its modem, similar to an air card. Does anyone know of a device such as this?<O:p</O:p

LegacyHH
07-22-2009, 04:30 AM
To be honest, your PPC for a modem idea really brings you back to a phone/PPC merged solution. Many cell phones could be used as a virtual modem with the proper cable and software.

For a PPC, the opposite works. I can hook my PPC to my computer to access the internet if the wifi isn't available, just reverse thinking I guess.

Take care,