View Full Version : HTC Finally Gets It: 3.5mm Plugs to Become Standard

Jason Dunn
07-09-2009, 06:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/07/08/long-live-35mm-htc-makes-the-switch/' target='_blank'>http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/07...kes-the-switch/</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"The vast majority of devices we launch after Hero will have a 3.5mm jack. Devices that we have already announced butthat still come out after Hero will not necessarily be a part of this change."</em></p><p>That's a quote from an HTC represenative on the question of why there aren't more HTC devices with 3.5mm headphone jacks on them. This is an issue that I bring up time and time again, and I'm glad to see that HTC finally gets it. No one wants to carry an adaptor with them - it's just a hassle and one more thing to misplace or forget to pack. As long as headphones are standarized around the 3.5mm plug, devices should have a matching plug. It seems that HTC have finally heard the cries of customers who want the 3.5mm jack on their HTC devices, and HTC is going to include 3.5mm jacks on many future devices. Sounds like good news to me!</p>

Craig Horlacher
07-09-2009, 07:59 PM
I think it's funny that while Microsoft has, at least in the past, made questionable requirements relating to physical buttons on a device and applications *not* having an "exit" but they completely dropped the ball on some no-brainers like this.

lmychajluk
07-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Great! But don't most headsets (w/ mics, not just ear/head-phones) that use 3.5mm jacks have 2 seperate jacks, one for the incoming audio, and another for the mic?

Craig Horlacher
07-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Great! But don't most headsets (w/ mics, not just ear/head-phones) that use 3.5mm jacks have 2 seperate jacks, one for the incoming audio, and another for the mic?
That's what a Bluetooth earpiece is for;)

lmychajluk
07-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Then what do I need a 3.5mm, or 2.5mm, or mini-USB, or whatever else jack anyway?

(Actaully, I'm happy about the 3.5mm jack, since I can now connect my next HTC phone directly to the Aux inputs in my truck or on my bike's audio system w/o using 2 adpaters and 3 different cables totalling 12' in length.)

V-iPAQ
07-10-2009, 06:09 AM
More like
1) HTC tries to lock users in with extUSB in era of poor WM machines
2) Other makers start making good WM machines, equal to HTC quality
3) SPB etc make shells >= to HTC quality
4) Users tell HTC they will refuse to buy any more machines w/o 3.5mm jack
4a) MS WM7 spec explicitly requires 3.5mm jack (probably due to HTC)
5) HTC realises extUSB will now lock users OUT instead of IN
6) HTC relents and makes it sound like they're thinking-of-the-children/users

Craig Horlacher
07-10-2009, 02:13 PM
4a) MS WM7 spec explicitly requires 3.5mm jack (probably due to HTC)

Ok, that explains things! It's about time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's next? Microsoft will require applications to have an "Exit" menu option? Maybe they'll require that SD/microSD slots support HC!

oldan
07-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Ok, that explains things! It's about time!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What's next? Microsoft will require applications to have an "Exit" menu option? Maybe they'll require that SD/microSD slots support HC!

I heard a rumor that Microsoft is going to require that all programs save state and go dormant in the background. And they're removing the ability to cut'n'paste. That way they'll be more like iPhones.