View Full Version : Acer Aspire One for $199 from Expansys

Jason Dunn
06-29-2009, 11:04 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.expansys-usa.com/d.aspx?i=184342&partner=pthoughts' target='_blank'>http://www.expansys-usa.com/d.aspx?...rtner=pthoughts</a><br /><br /></div><p>This is a bit off topic for some sites in our network, but a good deal is a good deal: our hardware affiliate partner Expansys is selling the Linux-based version of the <a href="http://www.expansys-usa.com/d.aspx?i=184342&amp;partner=pthoughts" target="_blank">Acer Aspire One for $199</a>, which is an excellent deal. This version of the Aspire One has an 8.9 inch screen, 1 GB of RAM, a 120 GB hard drive, and uses the 1.6 Ghz Intel Atom CPU. Combine that netbook with a <a href="http://www.digitalhomethoughts.com/news/show/94262/pre-order-windows-7-home-premium-upgrade-for-49-99-limited-time-offer.html" target="_blank">$49 copy of Windows 7</a>, and you've got yourself a nice little piece of mobile computing technology (just be sure to also have an external USB-based optical drive). I haven't installed Windows 7 on an Acer Aspire One, but I suspect it would work just fine - Windows 7 identified all the important hardware on my MSI Wind and HP Mini 1000 netbooks without a problem.&nbsp;At the time of this writing, Expansys only has 58 left in stock, so don't delay.</p>

Dyvim
06-29-2009, 11:41 PM
How would you apply the $49 Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade to a Linux netbook? Don't you need to buy the full version not the upgrade?

EscapePod
06-30-2009, 02:40 AM
I picked mine up at CompUSA last week (specs seem the same, different last 4 digits in model number). Its said to be a refurb, but I cannot find any indication it was ever used.

It came with Windows XP Home edition. That qualifies for the Win 7 upgrade price ($49), however, it requires install from scratch --- not a problem for me, and I look forward to it.

I also have a sweet, ultra compact, external DVD drive for it.

Jason Dunn
06-30-2009, 03:44 AM
How would you apply the $49 Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade to a Linux netbook? Don't you need to buy the full version not the upgrade?

I don't know if they've changed this with Windows 7, but with Vista you could install a trial version of Vista then plaster the upgrade over that. There are lots of ways around needing a full version - I don't think I've ever bought a full version of Windows in 10+ years...

mtd19
06-30-2009, 04:16 AM
I don't know if they've changed this with Windows 7, but with Vista you could install a trial version of Vista then plaster the upgrade over that. There are lots of ways around needing a full version - I don't think I've ever bought a full version of Windows in 10+ years...

Or you could, you know, just use linux for free...

I mean what's the use of windows on such an underpowered system? It's lightweight so give it a lightweight operating system.

The only reason to use Windows is if you need some software that is Windows only (Photoshop, most games, etc.) and most of that either has free alternatives or would be really slow on this.

But hey, do as you wish, just offering some advice.:)

Jason Dunn
06-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Or you could, you know, just use linux for free...

Linux might be fine for some people, but I've yet to see any flavour of it that doesn't suck for my needs. It's fine on the surface, but once you get past the nice start screen, you're into Linux land where, if you don't know much of anything about Linux (that's me!), nothing makes any sense.

I mean what's the use of windows on such an underpowered system? It's lightweight so give it a lightweight operating system.

You've obviously missed all the articles about how well Windows 7 works on netbooks. :) Honestly, it's quite good. Windows is running on upwards of 98% of all netbooks. Some brands of Linux-based netbooks have 4 to 1 return rates vs. their matching Linux counterparts. The market has spoken, and the market says they want Windows on their netbooks.

The only reason to use Windows is if you need some software that is Windows only (Photoshop, most games, etc.) and most of that either has free alternatives or would be really slow on this.

So you don't think that user interface matters at all? I think having an operating system that you're familiar with matters quite a bit - to me at least.

doogald
06-30-2009, 08:34 PM
I don't know if they've changed this with Windows 7, but with Vista you could install a trial version of Vista then plaster the upgrade over that.

It works, but it is hardly legal. (If being legal is important to you.)

Jason Dunn
06-30-2009, 10:21 PM
It works, but it is hardly legal. (If being legal is important to you.)

Most people have a license for Windows kicking around - and it's far faster to install the trial of Vista then upgrade it to the full version than it is to install XP. That's the only reason I suggested it - I'm not advocating anyone breaking licensing rules.

mtd19
07-01-2009, 05:43 AM
Linux might be fine for some people, but I've yet to see any flavour of it that doesn't suck for my needs. It's fine on the surface, but once you get past the nice start screen, you're into Linux land where, if you don't know much of anything about Linux (that's me!), nothing makes any sense.

The usual learning curve, but I've found Ubuntu to be very intuitive and easy to transition to

You've obviously missed all the articles about how well Windows 7 works on netbooks. :) Honestly, it's quite good. Windows is running on upwards of 98% of all netbooks. Some brands of Linux-based netbooks have 4 to 1 return rates vs. their matching Linux counterparts. The market has spoken, and the market says they want Windows on their netbooks.

Okay, if you say so. However, I'm sure that most commercial software that is Windows only (with no open source alternative) is too powerful for a netbook even if Windows performs well. Games for example. I feel like any software you would use on such a portable PC could be available on Linux.

So you don't think that user interface matters at all? I think having an operating system that you're familiar with matters quite a bit - to me at least.

Oh sure it does, and Linux is designed much better than windows. Windows command line is a PITA and Linux is much easier to use (heck I'm even comfortable on the Mac terminal because it's unix). Also, Linux is way easier to manage installs - no windows registry and everything is centralized for easy install and removal. I mean Windows has add/remove programs but let's face it, it's kind of a mess. The biggest advantage to Linux in this area is all software can be upgraded automatically. In Windows you have to run each program's updater or look yourself. This is all based on my experience with Ubuntu, but many other distros are similar. And overall, I really like the UI of Linux. But hey, I'm a CS guy, so I'm in the minority.

Not saying you're wrong, but I think it's a waste of money personally.

Jason Dunn
07-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Okay, if you say so. However, I'm sure that most commercial software that is Windows only (with no open source alternative) is too powerful for a netbook even if Windows performs well. Games for example.

Well, the most common thing I get asked about, by far, is whether or not Microsoft Office will run on a netbook. People want to use Word, and Word/Excel/PowerPoint all run just fine. OpenOffice also runs fine, but it doesn't seem to me to be any faster than Office so it's not like there's a speed advantage to open source software in that way. I haven't benchmarked OpenOffice on Linux vs. Word on Windows, but on my HP Mini 1000 Mobile Internet Edition (Linux) OpenOffice seems pretty sluggish. In fact, everything seems pretty sluggish.

People have also asked me about crazy things like running AutoCAD software on a netbook - technically it will all work (barring any hard-coded software limits), even though it would be painfully slow. People are really keen to push the limits of what a netbook can do, and it's always about their favourite software - their favourite Windows software. The average person doesn't seem to care much about the operating system - they care about the software running on it.

Windows command line is a PITA and Linux is much easier to use (heck I'm even comfortable on the Mac terminal because it's unix).

Command line? That right there tells me we're speaking two different languages - 99.99% of people buying netbooks wouldn't know what the command line was if they were staring at it. I've never dropped to the command line on my Windows 7 netbook, and I rarely do it on my Vista desktop computers - and if I do, it's to do a ping or tracert, hardly anything fancy.

Anyway, I'm glad that Linux on a netbook works well for you - but I trust you realize that your needs are not typical for most consumers. :)

davea
07-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks Jason... In for one at eXpansis.com. Similar units (dark blue) on ebay with Windows xp tend to be at least $240 and up. (I tried to get three different ones for less). Plus with eXpansis you get a full 1 year warranty. :)

Lee Yuan Sheng
07-02-2009, 02:17 AM
Hmm, I hopped over to my local branch of Expansys and they also have some for sale. Not as cheap, but still a decent deal. Might get one to toy around with. Or not.

Most people have a license for Windows kicking around - and it's far faster to install the trial of Vista then upgrade it to the full version than it is to install XP. That's the only reason I suggested it - I'm not advocating anyone breaking licensing rules.

Hmm, now that you've mentioned it, if chain upgrading is alright, I think I can secure 3 very cheap versions of Windows 7 in accordance to the licenses. :D

srsabu
07-02-2009, 04:28 PM
FYI: I put the RC of Windows 7 as another partition on my daughter's Aspire One, and it works great except for the wireless networking. The drivers are still pretty flaky, and I've had limited success connecting with it.

jdmichal
07-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Oh sure it does, and Linux is designed much better than windows. Windows command line is a PITA and Linux is much easier to use (heck I'm even comfortable on the Mac terminal because it's unix).

Sorry to nitpick on one point, but anyone saying what you just said has clearly not used PowerShell. It is by far the easiest, most expansive command-line tool I have ever used. And I've used them all.

Now I'm going to politely excuse myself from the rest of this, as the *nix vrs Windows wars are too much a waste of my time.

mv
07-07-2009, 03:23 AM
Well, the most common thing I get asked about, by far, is whether or not Microsoft Office will run on a netbook. People want to use Word, and Word/Excel/PowerPoint all run just fine. OpenOffice also runs fine, but it doesn't seem to me to be any faster than Office so it's not like there's a speed advantage to open source software in that way. I haven't benchmarked OpenOffice on Linux vs. Word on Windows, but on my HP Mini 1000 Mobile Internet Edition (Linux) OpenOffice seems pretty sluggish. In fact, everything seems pretty sluggish.

Well, adding MS Office to the bundle will add at least another $200 to the final price - too expensive for a netbook. Having that in mind, unless you are not paying for the software, using netbooks with linux and open office makes a lot more sense. You just need to learn a few new things, and that may take you a few weeks, but in the end, linux is a much better choice for very under powered machines like those offered for $200 to $300.

Jason Dunn
07-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Well, adding MS Office to the bundle will add at least another $200 to the final price - too expensive for a netbook.

Not really - if a home user has the "Student and Home" version of Office 2007, they get three installs...so someone could add Office 2007 for their netbook for free. Or, buying a new copy of said software is $91 USD from Amazon. Not free, but not outrageous either.

Having that in mind, unless you are not paying for the software, using netbooks with linux and open office makes a lot more sense. You just need to learn a few new things, and that may take you a few weeks...

Well, here's the thing: most people don't like learning new things. ;) I think Linux is great for some people, but I've yet to see a netbook that is easy enough for an average person to figure out - unless they only use the browser.

jdmichal
07-08-2009, 02:12 AM
OK, so I lied. Here's how I look at it. First, a semi-logical proof:

AXIOM: A simplification is a subset of the expressiveness of a system.
THEOREM: All simplifications of a system is therefore not complete for the underlying system.
PROOF BY CONTRADICTION: Assume that all the expressiveness of a system can be represented by its simplification. Then that simplification is necessarily a superset of that system, not a subset of it. This contradicts our axiom. QED.

So, what does this have to do with the current discussion? Simple: There is some part of the system which a simplification does not express. If a user wishes to do something inside this space, they must therefore deal with the underlying system. This is exactly why Jason's statement rings true:

I think Linux is great for some people, but I've yet to see a netbook that is easy enough for an average person to figure out - unless they only use the browser.

Meaning that the Linux simplifications used for netbooks cover the task of using the web browser and maybe some other common tasks, but the instant the user wants to do something different, they are thrown directly into Linux-land. And while Linux-land has been improving in this regard, I don't think anyone would suggest that a common person would be able to figure stuff out in its current state. (Remember, these are the people who get scared when a dialog box comes up that they have not vetted with their "computer guy" to see which button to press.)