View Full Version : Cost Analysis of Metered Broadband

Chris Gohlke
04-20-2009, 11:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://gigaom.com/2009/04/14/the-metered-broadband-math-as-much-as-2459-to-rent-twilight/' target='_blank'>http://gigaom.com/2009/04/14/the-me...-rent-twilight/</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"When it comes metered broadband, most consumers don&rsquo;t understand how its implementation could affect what it costs them to download content. So I decided to compare how much, depending on which of the nation&rsquo;s top ISPs&rsquo; metered bandwidth plans you choose, it would cost to rent the teen vampire flick &ldquo;Twilight." And what did I find? That in almost all cases, the decision to download the movie will cost more than just the $3.99 rental fee &mdash; sometimes much more."</em></p><p>While I understand the sentiment, the conclusions are inherently flawed since it does not differentiate between fixed and variable costs. &nbsp;If you don't go over your allotment, there is zero extra cost involved in the download. &nbsp;This is similar to your cell phone plan, sure there is a variable cost per minute if you go over your allotment, but if you don't you really don't care what the variable cost is. &nbsp;If anything, I think metered broadband is a good idea as long as the included base bandwidth is high enough to cover the needs of 99.9% of customers. &nbsp;The remaining 0.1% is probably so far from the norm that it seems reasonable for them to pay extra for their much higher than average usage. &nbsp;But, the concept of metered bandwidth will probably create a huge amount of confusion and fear amongst customers, that it may not be worth the effort, case in point, Time Warner <a href="http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/04/theyre-gone-after-outcry-time-warner-uncaps-the-tubes.ars" target="_blank">just decided to back of on their attempts at metering service</a>.</p>

Felix Torres
04-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Time Warner backed down from their plan under pressure from politicians because their caps and rates were a waaaayyy too blatant attempt to protect their cable TV and on-demand video monopolies from competition from internet video. (I saw reports of caps as low as 5GB a month and 40GB a month for their mainstream customers.) Even Comcast has a semi-reasonable cap of 250GB per month, which enough for about 30 HD movie rental downloads a month.

TW's biggest mistake was taking the phased roll-out of their cap scheme out of Republican territory and into the Territory of a Democratic member of the Senate Subcommitte on Antitrust, Competition Policy, and Consumer Rights. If they'd stuck to the hinterlands (congressionally speaking) they could've gotten away with it for a while longer. As is, they've alerted the pols that there is in fact an issue with cablecos trying to throttle broadband to protect their regional video monopolies. By going for the consumers' jugular upfront they merely telegraphed their true intent so clearly no politician could ignore them.

On the other hand, if they had merely started out with the same caps as Comcast and then slowly adjusted them downwards...

Good thing for us they got stupid.