View Full Version : WiFi Help

TKETZ196
04-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Hi. I have an E-TEN G500 with WM 5.0, and it doesn't have WiFi. I opted to buy the Spectec Mini SD WiFi Card SDW-822 wireless 802.11b standard. I bought it a while ago, and it worked fine until a few months ago.

This is what's happenning. There is a green light that blinks on the top of the card that sticks out of the device. It blinks when the card is on and it is either communicating or looking for a signal (what the card is supposed to do). Now, the card blinks when it is finding the signal, but it doesn't connect to the WiFi router anymore, even though i maybe sitting next to the WiFi router. I asked their support team, but they told me what i already know and did which is to uninstall, then reinstall the driver. Also, i do not think it is my SD card slot because i have two memory cards and they both with perfectly.

Can anyone help me figure out why the card is not working properly? Should i buy a new one? i don't really want to buy a new card if this problem is fixable.

Thanks!

Sven Johannsen
04-20-2009, 04:15 AM
Any friends with a WM5 PPC that you might try the card on? Does Spectec have Windows drivers that you might be able to try the card on a laptop? Many have SD slots, though I'm not sure how many are SDIO capable.

Considered hard reseting the E-Ten to try the card from scratch on a 'fresh' device? You can do a good backup with assorted programs that you could restore completely if the card doesn't work on a pristine device.

TKETZ196
04-22-2009, 08:14 AM
I have tried everything. When i actually got the device, it didnt have the latest ROM installed. I did install a fresh ROM upgrade to a newer version (the latest official version availabe that upgraded the build of WM 5 and packed with AKU2.2).

I had upgraded the ROM after i discovered the WiFi card already not working. I havent tried the laptop idea. I used the CD and it installed drivers on the computer and the device itself.

Like i said, it did work for about 4 months before one day it just crapped out, although it seems to show that it does work (with the flashing lights i said earlier). I know that my device is SDIO compatible only because the manual says it is.

anymore ideas would be appreciated. I will try it on my laptop and see if it will work (good idea!). one last note, Spectec does offer updated drivers, and that was what i used and nothing worked. it did not solve the problem.

ebrandwein
04-29-2009, 04:28 AM
I'm using a similar setup on my Treo 750. Make sure it isn't the router. Try connecting at another access point like a public library. If it works there but not at your home, your router may be on the way out.

Sven Johannsen
04-29-2009, 04:38 AM
Make sure it isn't the router. Good advice. I have a Linksys that is going bad. Every now and again things see it but just won't connect. Unplug the router/switch/AP and plug it back in and things work again. Haven't been concerned as i have an N AP and a G AP as well and so don't neeeed this to work.

TKETZ196
04-30-2009, 06:42 AM
I'm using a similar setup on my Treo 750. Make sure it isn't the router. Try connecting at another access point like a public library. If it works there but not at your home, your router may be on the way out.

Interesting theory, but unfortunately i don't think it is my router. First off, my laptop and another laptop can connect to the router, and also i have tried to connect to a public hot spot, i.e. my university's library, student center, and the dorm buildings (finally they are all WiFi ready).

I guess deducing that, i guess it is safe to assume it is my card just malfunctioning. I tries everything but buying a new card. It would have been my last resort. It is weird that the card blinks still like as if it is operational & finding its conection, but yet it isn't receiving a signal.

ebrandwein
04-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Interesting theory, but unfortunately i don't think it is my router. First off, my laptop and another laptop can connect to the router, and also i have tried to connect to a public hot spot, i.e. my university's library, student center, and the dorm buildings (finally they are all WiFi ready).

I guess deducing that, i guess it is safe to assume it is my card just malfunctioning. I tries everything but buying a new card. It would have been my last resort. It is weird that the card blinks still like as if it is operational & finding its conection, but yet it isn't receiving a signal.

As a last resort, back up your data and do a hard reset. Re-install the spectec driver only and try to connect. It is possible that something else is interfering with the connection. If that doesn't work, something is either bad with the card or the phone itself.