View Full Version : iPod Touch 2G Standby Time = Suckage

Jason Dunn
04-08-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm quite baffled by the fact that my iPod Touch has such horrible battery life when it comes to standby time. I guess it's because it never goes fully to sleep like my Zune does after "x" hours, but it's sure frustrating to not use my Touch for 5 days, pick it up, and have it be at 10% battery life.

Are there some settings I should be looking at to optimize the battery life? Or should I just turn it off completely when I'm not using it (I presume that eliminates 99% of the battery drain). Hell, I didn't even know I could turn it off completely. :)

Vincent Ferrari
04-09-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm quite baffled by the fact that my iPod Touch has such horrible battery life when it comes to standby time. I guess it's because it never goes fully to sleep like my Zune does after "x" hours, but it's sure frustrating to not use my Touch for 5 days, pick it up, and have it be at 10% battery life.

Are there some settings I should be looking at to optimize the battery life? Or should I just turn it off completely when I'm not using it (I presume that eliminates 99% of the battery drain). Hell, I didn't even know I could turn it off completely. :)

You're 100% right about it not fully sleeping and yeah, after five days it will be dead. Your best bet is to turn the WiFi off when you aren't planning on using it; that should mitigate things, but I got in the habit of charging my iPhone every night a long time ago so it's no big deal for me. It was a big adjustment at first, though, because my 30 Gig iPod used to go a week without a charge :-\

Jason Dunn
04-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Your best bet is to turn the WiFi off when you aren't planning on using it; that should mitigate things

Hmm. That would imply that the WiFi is using power when the iPod Touch is in sleep mode...does the Touch wake up every so often to do something? If so, is there a way of turning that "something" off?

It was a big adjustment at first, though, because my 30 Gig iPod used to go a week without a charge :-\

Yeah, I think the problem is that I'm thinking of the Touch like it's an MP3 player - it's not, it's really a PDA, so I should be expecting battery life like a PDA. I was just wondering if there was something I was missing - guess there's not. :)

emuelle1
04-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Jason, the iPod Touch does run wi-fi, at least intermittently, while the screen is off. I used to listen for mine to beep to tell me I had new email. I also noticed that somehow, my Touch picked up a wireless router near one intersection on my drive home, so every day while I was going through that light, I'd hear it beep with new email.

I've been in the habit of starting the day with a full charge on all my gadgets for years. I park them all on a charger at night no matter where I am.

Jason Dunn
04-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Jason, the iPod Touch does run wi-fi, at least intermittently, while the screen is off.

It's funny that even if you turn off the "push" setting, that it would do that. Regardless, I'm now turning it ALL the way off (pressing and holding the power button) and now the battery life is as I would expect it to be.