View Full Version : Missing software on Ipaq 214 - which free replacements?

KuroNeko
02-27-2009, 08:35 PM
It's been a long time since I posted here. My Hx4700 worked nicely, mostly to watch videos, play music and read books.

But then there was this itch, the upgrade itch, that started nagging again :D so I bought an Ipaq 214.

Real nice so far, quite a difference with WM 2003. Still, I found my way easily enough.

But I'm missing a few basic simple applications that came with my HX4700.

Firstly, a basic backup application to restore all installed bits after a cold reset (I only needed a single backup, never used it more as I don't use my PPC for mail or appointments). Ipaq backup was all I needed.

Secondly, a photo viewing application, with slideshow capability. The Ipaq Photoviewer app was also sufficient.

Can you recommend replacement apps for WM 6, that are free? Again, simple is the keyword, I don't need Photoshop for PockePC :)

Thanks!
Neko

KuroNeko
02-28-2009, 11:00 AM
I've been reading on the internet about other applications that should be on my Ipaq, but that seem to be missing.

So I did a cold reset, and now I have quite a few programs that weren't there before. Including some slideshow software, so that's covered now.

Still, no backup program, or am I overlooking something?

How is this possible though, that programs on a new Ipaq are missing and reappear after a cold reset? This is a new Ipaq, the packaging was sealed. Should I worry my Ipaq is possibly defective, improperly installed at the factory?

Neko

Cybrid
03-03-2009, 08:59 PM
I've been reading on the internet about other applications that should be on my Ipaq, but that seem to be missing.

So I did a cold reset, and now I have quite a few programs that weren't there before. Including some slideshow software, so that's covered now.

Still, no backup program, or am I overlooking something?

How is this possible though, that programs on a new Ipaq are missing and reappear after a cold reset? This is a new Ipaq, the packaging was sealed. Should I worry my Ipaq is possibly defective, improperly installed at the factory?

NekoWhen they moved to persistent storage in win 5, they deemed needing a backup solution unneccesary. Since win 5/6.x are not susceptible to data loss when the battery runs out. You could leave it in a drawer for a year and everything will be exacly the same. That's the good news

The bad news is if you regularily try out new things and or mess with it often then you need a backup solution anyway. Try Sprite Backup. Ipaq Backup was an OEM licensed version of Sprite.

KuroNeko
03-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks for explaining, I'll check out Sprite Backup!

Neko