View Full Version : Urgent Help required

Targaid
01-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Some months ago I tried out Pocket Quicken 2.5, decided there wasn't enough new in it to warrant the upgrade and reverted to my old version. Since then it has point-blank refused to synch with the desktop. I have figured out that the new version has overwritten the connection software for my old version and for some reason whenever I reinstall the old one I get the new one instead.

I have emailed Landware repeatedly and been totally ignored by them. I have not had one response to my emails, presumably because I don't want to spend £38 updating my software. My tax deadline is in 25 days and I have MONTHS of transactions to transfer ready to do the return.

Can anyone out there help me, please? I'm desperate.

Pony99CA
01-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Some months ago I tried out Pocket Quicken 2.5, decided there wasn't enough new in it to warrant the upgrade and reverted to my old version. Since then it has point-blank refused to synch with the desktop. I have figured out that the new version has overwritten the connection software for my old version and for some reason whenever I reinstall the old one I get the new one instead.
I've never used Pocket Quicken, but here are some things that may help.

This may be obvious, and you may have already tried it, but did you trying uninstalling the new version before reinstalling the old version? If so, make sure that the installation didn't install two or more programs (the program itself and a connection component, for example); you'd have to uninstall all pieces.

If that doesn't work, after the uninstall, see if there's anything left in the program folder or \Windows folder. If there is, delete that and install the old version.

If that doesn't work, maybe you could copy the data file (or folder) to your PC, do a hard reset, install the old version, then copy the data back. If the data is in a system database and you're running an older version of Windows Mobile (2003 SE or earlier), though, that may not work.

If that doesn't work, and their copy protection isn't smart, soft reset your device, set the clock back somewhere in the trial period dates, reinstall the new version and try syncing that. If there's a PC-based component, you may have to reset the clock on your PC and reinstall there, too.

If nothing else works, pay for the upgrade. Yeah, it's not fair, but if you really need that data, it's probably faster than typing it all in yourself.

Steve

Targaid
01-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Cheers Steve. I did unistall first, but I shall try out resetting the date.

As for buying their software again, since it doesn't work with the most recent versions of the Desktop software and this example of their appalling customer service I'm probably stubborn enough to do it by hand.I'm ornery that way ;-)

Reid Kistler
01-06-2009, 01:18 AM
Steve's replay provided a number of wonderful ideas to try - especially liked the Check For Additional Files / Pieces thoughts - but here's a couple of FWIW thoughts in case you are still stuck:

Would build a Soft Reset into the Uninstall / Reinstall process.
That is, UNinstall, do a Soft Reset, then Reinstall (or Install Different Version).

Sometimes my Axim gets "stuck" between difference program versions & have found a Soft Reset is a good preventative measure.

Also: Do any other applications have the ability to Import the Pocket Quicken file? Imagine you have already checked that out, but if not...

Good Luck!