View Full Version : Gave up - bought a Fuze....

Reid Kistler
11-14-2008, 02:14 AM
Finally climbed down off of the fence have been sitting on - for some time now - and bought a Fuze last night.

Have not had a lot of Play Time with it yet - less than 24 hours old, and there ARE other priorities during the day ( :( ) - but a couple (??;)) of interesting observations thus far:

As noted in reviews, feels nice in hands - width & height are about same as my old Razr, and the added Depth actually makes it MORE comfortable to hold. Weight is higher, of course - although doesn't seem as much heavier as would expect.
Of course, MOST calls will be via Bluetooth, so this won't matter much - and it connected easily to my primary earphone (Motorola Pure).

While nice in hand, unit felt Heavy in pocket at first, although grew more accustomed to it during the day. And it IS smaller & lighter than the Axim (in its case) AND especially with the Razr COMBINED with the Axim....

The accessory dongle is a crazy looking getup: no less than 4 ports on it! 3 for headphones, one for USB/Power + the tail leading back to the Fuze itself. Have trouble imagining ever wanting to use it...

Nice that the Sylus is held into the (BOTTOM FACING) port with a strong magnet: really clicks into place, which is appreciated (have had to put a couple of wraps of tape around the Axim stylus to keep it from falling out of its TOP Loaded port!). Also appreciate having an extra stylus in the box.

Stylus itself is short & thin, but Usable. Those with larger hands might have some complaint.

There IS a screen cover included with the unit, although this does NOT show up on the "Included In The Box" list. Like nearly all screen covers have used to date it is a Royal Pain to properly align - without having dust or fingerprints beneath the darned thing. Although the Fuze screen is NEARLY Flush with the top of the unit, there is still a small ledge around it: just enough to Raise the edges of the screen protector if it is not laid down correctly.
Interestingly, the "screen protector" actually covers the entire top portion of the unit - not just the screen itself - and as such it includes a cut-out for the ear speaker....

Keyboard slides up well & seems to work well - again, have smaller hands (Medium Gloves, if that helps), but it is easy enough for two thumbs to tap out text messages - and the extra keys are nice as they save having to Always seek out the FCN or Shift keys...

Making phone calls seems easy enough, as the on-screen numeric keyboard is big enough to hit numbers without problems.

Have not learned all of the menus yet, and have had some trouble finding things - like accessing missed calls (which unit "reminds" you of periodically) - and the Text Messaging has been problematical: VERY Slow response to opening / replying to a message, often accompanied by the entire system simply FREEZING for a bit - and then suddenly trying to run Every Command you tried to enter to wake it up. (Recall a reviewer that had similar problems).

This MAY have been due to my defeating the TouchFlo interface: after continued Significant problems with Text Messaging & generally slow response decided to hit the RESET button (which appears to have a small Headphone graphic above it - ??) and since that time the unit has been much snappier.

Perhaps a Reset is required to flush TouchFlo out of the system??

Oh: and did I mention the SCREEN IS LOVELY?

Well, the Screen is LOVELY!

It responds well - on most menus used thus far - to Finger Touch. Stylus use will require a bit more practice: seems a bit reluctant, requiring more force than am accustomed to, especially around the edges (Scroll Bar....)

However the entire unit is indeed one large Fingerprint magnet. :(

Also: It recognized our home wireless network & properly requested security passcode - but have NO IDEA whether it accessed the internet using the WiFi connection OR the AT&T 3G network: and have not yet figured out HOW to tell!

A mystery that will probably have to wait for another day.

So, thus far, some good points, some not so good points. 30 days to Finally Decide - albeit at cost of $20 Restocking Fee.....

Farmer Ted
11-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Since you're used to using an Axim, what did you think of the screen-size? I've checked out the Pro, and was just shocked at how small the screen was (I'm used to using a PPC with a honking big screen.)

I agree, it's a really nice device. Hope you enjoy it.

Cattle-Dog
11-15-2008, 01:19 AM
Thank you for the nice review. This phone has me seriously tempted.

Reid Kistler
11-16-2008, 02:35 AM
Since you're used to using an Axim, what did you think of the screen-size?

Yes, was also surprised (for some reason) at the small screen size, and have not yet decided how much functionality that is going to cost. Although that small screen also permits the Fuze to be thin enough to be comfortably held in Phone Position, something that would not be true of the Axim.

In terms of legibility, the screen is fine: have worn Progressive Lenses for - well, A While :o - and have had no trouble at all reading things on the Fuze: the increased sharpness (remember my Axim X30 has only QVGA display) more than makes up for the loss of screen space. (But then even some of the newer small QVGA displays outshine the Axim: the lower resolution means bigger pixels as screen size expands, one reason a 20" SD CRT usually looks better than a 36" SD CRT... and find that the Axim screen looks jagged & washed out compared to many newer devices, even given the same QVGA spec: and the Fuze offers Brilliant VGA - it is truly an impressive display.)

The bigger question will be how useful the screen size is for on-screen manipulation: the scroll bars are Thin & the screen edges seem to require more pressure to register input - as does the entire screen surface, for that matter. (Comparison, again, is to Axim X30 Mid.)

However, have already seen a Registry Edit that purportedly significantly lowers the pressure required for screen input, which would be a good thing.

My main concern was (is) on-screen (SIP) text input. The standard QWERTY software keyboard is large enough for easy text input - IF I could only remember how to move the stylus to find the right letters! (Fitaly snob... ;))

Have not yet loaded Fitaly, which will be the "Real Test" as the Fitaly keyboard puts more blocks on the screen - which results in smaller boxes to hit!

Of course the Fuze DOES come with a hardware keyboard as well, and have actually made fairly good friends with it. It works well for short messages - Phone Text Messages, for example - although would not want to have to take lecture notes using it: don't think my thumbs would hold up to the pace!

DID try playing a game or two (Purely to test out the graphics capability, of course... :D) and guess is that the small screen size could well hamper the play of some games: Jawbreaker (or whatever Fuze calls it) seemed much more difficult to play at first - although did grow more accustomed to it on 2nd run through - and would expect any game with relatively fast moving - & Small - objects would be more difficult than on Axim... (Kevtris, Quartz, Snowed In..... Not, of course, that we have had experience with any such games....)

But then also do not know how many of these would transfer from 2003SE to WM 6.x - ??

Hope this feedback helps....

Farmer Ted
11-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks, that does help. The better resolution should make everything easier to see. The screen on my asus is starting to go, so a device with a sharper screen will probably help, even if it's only ~70% of the size. I read a lot of ebooks, and my only concern is that it will be annoying on a smaller screen. I'm sure that I'll get used to it, though.

I did notice that the screen felt harder than I'm used to, but that's probably a good thing in the long run, as far as durability goes.

Reid Kistler
11-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Fuze Update:

1) Downloaded latest version of Fitaly (using Wifi connection :) - I think....:confused:): it loads OK & the standard keyboard layout looks about as great as everything else does on the Fuze's display. (Have I mentioned that the Fuze has a Wonderful Display??? :D)

Even using the LARGE Size option - which does fit Fitaly across the width of the screen - the keyboard is obviously smaller than on the Axim's larger screen, but remains usable: can even hit the 1/2 cells (numerals or punctuation) accurately.

Only problem is the relatively high pressure required to register a "hit" on the Fuze's screen: it requires extra thought & time, thus slowing down typing speed.

(Have yet to try the Registry Edit that is supposed to make the screen more sensitive.)

FWIW department: Fitaly offers 3 keyboard sizes: the Medium & Small size keyboards remain remarkably legible, and could easily see someone (with good eyesight & excellent motor control....) being able to use the Medium one - but would expect even Bishop would have trouble with the Small version! (Think "Aliens"...)

2) Still having trouble figuring out how Fuze connects to internet: That is, even after turning WiFi on - and showing connection to a network - am still not clear if it is hooking up via the WiFi connection, or Defaulting to 3G/Edge at all times.
Account check is worthless: "Due to recent account changes we are unable to report on your data usage at this time..." (Or some similar wording...). But then AT&T is almost ALWAYS "unable to report data usage."

Unlike the Axim, have never noted the WiFi Antenna indicating traffic. And unlike my Razr, have never received the "Terminate Connection?" or "XXXX Data Used" messages when quitting browser(s).

THINK that it uses the Wifi, if you have it turned on & connection shows up - but may in for a larger-than-anticipated bill!

3) Two browsers to choose from: PIE or Opera Mobile. Thus far, have been very unhappy with Opera: seems slow & buggy (improper page displays), whereas PIE seems much better than the version on my Axim.

One thought that crossed my mind was ?? of whether PIE was using the available WiFi connection whereas Opera was defaulting to 3G/Edge! After hearing all the reports about how Speedy Opera was results so far have been very disappointing.

4) Was disappointed to find that Fuze is packaged with only a 60-day trial of Outlook. The Axim came with a full version of Outlook... 2002 (!): alas, it seems that WM6 Active Sync will only Sync with Outlook 2003 or 2007 IF you are running Vista.

My desktop is dual boot (XP / Vista) and was hoping to begin the move over to greater Vista usage by syncing Fuze to Vista, while letting Axim continue to sync with XP until such time as am willing to let the Axim go.....

Understand that there MIGHT be some 'work-arounds' to use an earlier version of Outlook, and may have to take a look at those: Outlook 2007 runs something like $100 (!), which is way more than I want to spend for an app that primarily serves only as a Back-up for the PPC Contact & Calendar databases!

Liked the Palm (actually HandSpring...) approach much better: they provided a desktop app that matched the hand-held app. Limited functionality, but useful as backup & priced right....

5) Have yet to make a Real Friend out of "Voice Command" - sometimes it seems more like a call to someone's Off-Shore "customer service" department than a Precise Control mechanism.

6) This seems like a lot of COMPLAINING - and suppose it is :o - but all-in-all continue to enjoy the Fuze more & more the longer it is in use.
Naturally a lot of that is simply due to increasing familiarity with layout: knowing the buttons & menus and their various functions improves productivity. But, still, the display (!), hardware keyboard, variety of input methods (stylus, keyboard, fingers), speed & comfort in use, and overall flexibility would seem to put it at least among the top WM6 competitors at this time.

Hopefully it will prove to be as long-lived as the Axim has!

hummingbirdhill
11-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Yo, I have had my Fuze since early 11/12 but haven't yet figured how to make ActiveSync stay OFF. ActiveSync is on when I turn on the device---even though I turn ActiveSync off immediately prior to turning off device. It was like this out of the box---I didn't connect and sync with Outlook till 12/20---and still is. I find no settings to make it INactiveSync. I sync with Outlook 2003---The initial partnering and sync required just a couple of minutes at most---fassst and simple (compared to my iPAQ 211 which requires much longer). I have never ever turned on ActiveSync, and I use the Device Center to sync, so the compulsive eagerness of this (unnecessary?) program eludes me---and drains the battery juice of which there is not an overabundance.

My main complaint about my Fuze is the extended time length of the initial AT&T World Phone screen TWICE---It appears when the device is powered on AND after a 3G splash screen with sound, both of which I'd get rid if I could discover HOW.

Page 31 of User Manual states that maps are installed, but I've yet to locate them. (AT&T customer service could not help me with this.) Must I activate QuickGPS or subscribe to AT&T Navigator to access the maps?

Although the cam is quite adquate in MP, it is difficult for me to hold it still and take an unblurry pic. However it is fasssst to access and gives quick options for types of pics (such as for contacts).

I love this phone more each day because:

1) The CLEAR vga screen is easier for my old (66 years) eyes than any of my puter screens, and I think I might could read an entire ebook with little or no eye fatigue.

2) Email took 30 seconds to initiate, and can be set (along with TMs) to be read aloud upon arrival. Email (from my personal Outlook account) arrives instantly and notifies me on front (TouchFlo) screen.

3) The touchscreen responds naturally to my fingers; a bit more pressure is required from stylus (compared to my iPAQ 211) but not enough to be a bother.

4) The tiny hardware pullout KB is quick and responsive and can be combined with use of the soft QWERTY KB onscreen. (I use the onscreen KB for numbers.)

5) Voice Command works well about 80% of the time, but always asks for confirmation so that I won't dial work when I mean home or something more serious.

I have yet to locate a leather case worthy of this dude . . . :-)

Reid Kistler
11-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Glad to hear you like the Fuze!

Some thoughts on your notes:

1) Haven't figured out ActiveSync On/Off status: have yet to actually Sync the Fuze, and for first week or so never saw ActiveSync icon - now if OFTEN appears in the Task Manager, but not ALWAYS: something must "trigger" it. Wonder if ANY incoming signal causes it to activate?

In any case, would not worry very much: it simply sits in the background, and while it uses some Program memory, the Fuze has so much that think I could move EVERY APP currently installed on my Axim to the Fuze, open them ALL at the same time & still have room left on the Fuze!

Also, Mobile Device Center is the replacement for ActiveSync on Windows Vista machines - you still need ActiveSync running on your PPC to make the connection.

2) You mean you don't like the cool graphics on start-up?!?!?! Well... OK: sort of Fun the first time around, but would also like to toggle off. Might be a Registry setting?? But perhaps not - might get activated before Registry even read...
OTOH, you should only have to view it maybe ONE time per day: turn Fuze ON in morning & OFF at night. See no real point in turning it OFF during the (usage) day.
And sometimes don't bother / remember to turn it off: battery drain while in "Sleep" mode seems pretty minimal. (Also - often have the Fuze on CHARGER over-night anyway.)

3) Yes, the Getting Started Guide does mention that AT&T Maps is installed, but also cannot find such an APP on the Fuze - NOR is it mentioned in the Fuze User Manual....

The screen IS a delight & am surprised at how small of a font is legible on it. Am getting more accustomed to the amount of pressure required for the touch screen, and although TouchFlo is fun to play with, will PROBABLY drop it once have all of my Apps moved over from the Axim...

The hardware keyboard is handy for short messages, and still like the Numeric layout it uses: simply don't have a problem locking numbers ON using two quick taps on FN key.

Will plan to use FITALY for longer text input, although may have to try registry edit to increase screen sensitivity. Am using the On-Screen Telephone number pad when placing a call - and really enjoy the Contact Database search function it provides.

Still wrestling with Voice Command - and, alas, especially for trying to Dial Out when using a headset...

As to CASES, have you checked out Cases.com? They have several for the Fuze (HTC Touch Pro). The Piel cases seem expensive compared to the PDairs - although note the PDairs all seem to be out of stock (or, perhaps, Not Yet In Stock??).

Have an Industrial Stength RhinoSkin for my Axim, but don't see how design could be altered for Fuze. Also have a nice looking Belkin black leather case for Dress & some of the PDairs remind me of it (although care less for their contrasting stitching....).

Have a good day!

Farmer Ted
11-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Yo rkistler, I've got a couple more Q's (I'm still waffling on what to get!). First, I was checking out the Touch Pros again yesterday, and noticed that it was kind of hard to push the volume knobs on the side of the phone. They were sort of stiff, and it caused me to flex the keyboard as much as push the buttons. Is this a problem at all? And second: there's a little menu bar at the bottom of the screen (with email icons etc.). Does this disappear when you bring up a web browser or something similar (like mobipocket full-screen)? Or is it always there, taking up space?

Thanks!

Reid Kistler
11-25-2008, 06:39 PM
noticed that it was kind of hard to push the volume knobs on the side of the phone. They were sort of stiff, and it caused me to flex the keyboard as much as push the buttons.

Have you ever noticed the Black Splotches that appear in the upper right corner of a movie Just Before the reel needs to be changed?

I never had - until somebody pointed them out a few years ago. Now I see them "constantly."

Well, also had NOT noticed any trouble at all with the Volume Buttons on the Fuze; in fact, was rather happy with their function. & especially with the user interface they call up.

However, am Absolutely Convinced that I will now spend the rest of my life wondering how I EVER was able to push those darn things without having the keyboard slide slightly out & in... (Gee - thanks a lot for bringing this up! :eek: )

Seriously: using the volume buttons really had not bothered me, but now that you DO mention it, the keyboard does tend to rock back & forth a bit. HOW you are holding the unit makes a difference - and would have to believe that the SIZE of your hands does as well.

Usually hold the unit cradled in my right hand, as Stylus use is with Left Hand, and in this position my middle finger rests naturally on the lower portion of the Volume Down button - it is then easy to actuate either Volume button, and the keyboard movement is either absent or all-but-eliminated. Probably why had not noticed it before....

Of course the keyboard is DESIGNED to slide in & out (or out & in...) so see no harm in a bit of motion. Also think that the Volume Buttons are better off a bit "tight" than a bit "loose" - would rather have changes in volume be a Conscious Choice rather than an Accident....

there's a little menu bar at the bottom of the screen (with email icons etc.). Does this disappear when you bring up a web browser or something similar (like mobipocket full-screen)? Or is it always there, taking up space?

Assume you are referring to the gray-scale TouchFlo menu bar, and, Yes, it does disappear once you are in an actual Program. This interface (TouchFlo) is entirely optional: it runs as a Today "Item" (Settings / Personal / Today / Items), and if selected it Defeats any other Items you have chosen (it duplicates most of these within its own screens).

Interestingly, you can STILL select a Windows Theme under Today / Appearence, which provides a bit of relief from the gray-scale theme AT&T / TouchFlo uses as the default.

The TouchFlo interface remains gray-scale, but you gain a splash of color in the top & bottom status / menu bars - which I find both LOOKS better AND is easier to "read" - and once you move away from TouchFlo the OS screens become fully colored according to the Theme you have selected (again, much better than the gray AT&T sticks you with out of the box!)

Have mixed feelings about TouchFlo; although AM getting better at using it, still have not decided whether it is truly an enhancement or merely a novelty....

mbranscum
11-26-2008, 12:51 AM
Hey guys, I have read several reviews about reviewers not being able to make it through the day on moderate use.

What are you experiences with the battery? What's your amount left at bedtime? All I am interested in is making it through the day and evening.

Thanks.

hummingbirdhill
11-26-2008, 02:11 AM
I'm a very light user---15-30 minutes of voice calls, 2-5 emails received and replied to, 5-10 TMs, a daily weather forecast---makes my normal day, and my Fuze is down to 1 or 2 battery "bars" at the end of a normal day. (I thought it was the ActiveSync coming on and staying on without being used that runs the battery down so fast.)

I must say though that the Fuze is fully worth its battery upkeep; just glad I have a car charger.

Hey guys, I have read several reviews about reviewers not being able to make it through the day on moderate use.

What are you experiences with the battery? What's your amount left at bedtime? All I am interested in is making it through the day and evening.

Thanks.

Reid Kistler
11-26-2008, 04:58 PM
<!-- icon and title -->
<hr style="color: rgb(224, 224, 224);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Hey guys, I have read several reviews about reviewers not being able to make it through the day on moderate use.

What are you experiences with the battery (http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/#)? What's your amount left at bedtime? All I am interested in is making it through the day and evening.

Hmm - am certain that I sent a Very Thoughtful Reply to this last night :rolleyes: - and cannot imagine WHERE that went!

In any event....

Who gets to define Moderate Use?

Some people run their phones "all day long" - calls, music, videos, camera, text messaging, internet access, GPS, games.... "Moderate Use" is going to mean something completely different for them than for many other users.

And, if you are using the Fuze for ALL of its possible purposes, it would make sense to view at as Replacing a number of other devices - each of which would impose its own battery drain throughout the day. In such a scenario one would have to decide whether it is more convenient to carry One Device (The Fuze) - while accepting that its battery will need to be recharged / replaced during the day - or to carry Several Devices, each with its own power source (battery) - but also with its own bulk, weight, & perhaps cabling of some sort.

Have not be UNhapppy with Fuze's battery life: generally recharge every evening, but if NOT, can expect to have to recharge at some point the following day. HAVE gone as long as 2 days without recharging - but that was with "moderate use"... :D

Usually leave the Fuze running ALL of the time - including overnight - but do not play music or videos, take pictures or use GPS (yet...) on the Fuze. Internet access is via WiFi & has been limited thus far. Fair amount of text messaging & phone calls. Almost no game playing - have looked at installed games / demos & found nothing exciting, although the Rolling Steel-Ball game is great fun to show off if you don't mind losing control of you Fuze for a while!

Also, am still carrying my Axim around and that still gets a fair amount of use during the day (having trouble finding time to transition over, as am also doing an XP to Vista move as well).

Battery on Fuze is about 50% "larger" than one on Axim: ALMOST "Always" carry a spare battery for the Axim, and normally expected to have to load it at some point during the day - and that would be while also using a significant amount of battery power on ANOTHER DEVICE - for all phone calls & text messaging. (Since adding Fuze, the Axim now runs easily on a single battery / day - and is almost up to 2 days / battery....)

SO - once the Axim goes away, would be Very Happy if Fuze's battery lasted throughout the day. On many days I think that it will - but suspect that heavier usage days will force some sort of compromise: recharge, or 2nd battery, or Limit To Work Purposes Only....

Of course, recharging during the day should not pose a big problem for most users: the provided charger is easy to connect if at desktop, or can buy a car charger if day is spent on road.

As an Unexpected Bonus: the Fuze will charge its battery whenever it is connected to its Sync Cable. Suppose this may be old-hat for Smartphones, but was Pleasantly surprised by this, & the sync cable would be very easy to carry around.... (You can toggle this setting On & Off if you wish: if you connect to a battery-powered laptop you might not want to send juice to the Fuze...)

Finally, agree with hummingbirdhill:
I must say though that the Fuze is fully worth its battery upkeep....:)

hummingbirdhill
11-27-2008, 03:11 AM
My Fuze's first sync with pc Outlook calendar and contacts was simple and quick. But a great deal of time and effort was spent manually "fixing" my contacts on the Fuze . . . because two types of contacts existed:
1) phone number contacts
2) Outlook email address contacts.

After getting all of each contact's info together into a single contact form for each contact, I was afraid to sync with Outlook again. I attempted to remove Contacts Sync from the list; however was informed that, if removed from the sync agenda, all of the contacts would be removed from my Fuze!

So now, how can I prevent the syncing of contacts---which I assume would mess up all of my merged phone number-email address contact info on my Fuze?? (since my syncing is set for device info to be updated by pc info---and I certainly don't want my device calendar to replace my pc Outlook calendar!)

Mister Kistler, any thoughts on this predicament, I hope? :-)

(Only after I safely resolve this situation can I begin to depend more on my Fuze for essential data than on my iPAQ. At that point, I may need to buy a spare Fuze battery.)

Reid Kistler
11-27-2008, 06:44 AM
So now, how can I prevent the syncing of contacts---which I assume would mess up all of my merged phone number-email address contact info on my Fuze?? (since my syncing is set for device info to be updated by pc info---and I certainly don't want my device calendar to replace my pc Outlook calendar!)

What OS is your desktop running?
Presume it is either XP / Windows 2000 - with ActiveSync; or Vista - with Whatever-Name-MS-Gave-New-Sync-Center (Now you can see why it is taking so long to move from XP to Vista....:rolleyes:)

Query: Why are you worried about Device Calendar messing up your Desktop Calendar? Once you have successfully completed a Sync, are these not both the SAME now?

Where (within WHAT app) did the Warning Message about deleting Contacts come from?

Am running MS ActiveSync 3.8 on Windows XP MCE (for my Axim), and am not aware of ever having received such a notice.

In any event, obviously the first step should be to Back Up your PPC databases - if you have not already done so. (And probably ones on PC as well, just for good measure...)

My approach to similar problems has been to simply back-up the data on both devices & then do a PPC-Overwrites-PC sync. (Or vice versa, as case may be.)

(Have had this happen a couple times with PhatNotes Databases, and once on a more universal basis when had to do a HARD Reset of the Axim, and apps lost track of what data was "new" and what had been previously synced.)

Am also going to be looking at the problem of "Contacts" vs "Telephone Numbers" - took me a while to realize that the Fuze keeps these in two separate lists, AND that Voice Command can access Contacts (when it FEELS like it...) but NOT "Telephone Numbers (on the SIM card)."
At least the "Telephone Numbers are on SIM card, Contacts are in Fuze's built-in memory" concept seems OK. Question is whether it gets more complicated than that....:eek:

OK: getting way to late for rational thought!

Please post details per above, what you've tried thus far, and whether you have found an Answer (!)....

hummingbirdhill
11-28-2008, 03:30 AM
My sync desktop runs Vista. I also sync my iPAQ with that desktop with no probs---because the iPAQ's contacts are identical to Outlook contacts---email addies only (no phone #s).

I would be worried about Fuze calendar messing up pc calendar IF I changed the sync settings for the device to overwrite pc data (on behalf of complex Fuze contacts).

And yes, when I sync pc with device, the calendar is momentarily identical---till I add or delete something on my pc Outlook.

On the Fuze, I accessed the ever-available ;-) ActiveSync, which now offers sync settings (identical to the Device Center on pc), and I UNchecked sync contacts---at which point I was informed that UNchecking contacts would cause them to be removed from Fuze. (The GLARE I gave it had no impact whatsoever.) From curiosity, I just now followed those steps on my iPAQ and did not receive the warning message; however, I didn't touch OK and that might have made it warn me---I doubt that though; once something is on an iPAQ it is usually on it till it is manually/deliberately removed.

The way the contacts are on the Fuze is very conFUSing; I tried for days to figure how to use them separately but nada. Also, when I (initially) inserted my old sim card into my new Fuze, I saved the contacts to Fuze (and removed old sim card). Then I inserted the new sim card into the Fuze and saved the contacts to the new sim card---and guess what? Every single contact was listed TWICE. ugh Ultimately, I deleted all of them and manually keyed in each of the 65 contacts as a sim (not Outlook) contact---only to discover that I could not assign a ringtone or a pic to sim contacts . . . To get my contacts to their present perfect state has taken several hours of repetitive tasks, and I do NOT want to lose them as they are now! Actually, I'm uncertain as to whether backing up the Fuze contacts prior to syncing would do any good, because I don't think the contacts would return to the Fuze w/o re-syncing email addies and manually adding phone numbers and then reassigning ringtones and pics . . . This means that I must continue toting my iPAQ for calendar and other files. :-(

Farmer Ted
12-01-2008, 07:41 PM
I gave up and bought a Fuze, too! Thanks for all the help, rkistler. I ordered it on black friday from htc online (let'stalk), and got the non-contract version with a free 2gb card for $510. I was planning on getting an xperia, but the price was just hard to beat. I can get a redfly to go along with the fuze for the same price as the xperia, and celio corp already has a beta driver for the fuze available (I have a business trip soon that I'd really like to have both available for). The xperia has the sex factor going for it (I guess; the local sony story didn't have any on the 28th when they were supposed to be released), but the fuze has the better video camera, tv-out and an accelerometer. Now, I've just got to see if I can get it to work with my t-mobile sim card. My requirements are very low. I don't need a data plan (got wi-fi pretty much everywhere I'll use the phone), and I just need to make about 50 min worth of calls per month. Anyway, I'm psyched!

Reid Kistler
12-02-2008, 04:30 AM
The way the contacts are on the Fuze is very conFUSing; I tried for days to figure how to use them separately but nada.

Yes, indeed - probably easier for someone who has used a phone/ppc combo before, but not at all intuitive for a "new" user: the Axim is simply less conFUSing...:o

Had a LONG - albeit not entirely UNrewarding - weekend, and have not yet wrapped my brain around your problem: have you come up with a solution yet???

Spent "spare time" yesterday (!) & today trying to make friends with Vista's Windows Mobile Device Center: had THOUGHT ActiveSync was the epitome of #%&#^ Software, but think WMDC has it beat!

May have arrived at some sort of Acceptable Functionality, but have NO idea exactly how that was achieved....:confused:

Sigh.

Reid Kistler
12-02-2008, 04:37 AM
I gave up and bought a Fuze, too!

Congrats! Although the UNlocked price makes me Gasp, at least you are not locked into a Contract...

I don't need a data plan (got wi-fi pretty much everywhere I'll use the phone), and I just need to make about 50 min worth of calls per month.

Be careful about DATA: am thoroughly enjoying the Fuze (although NOT so much Vista / MS Mobile Device Center!) - HOWEVER: there seem to be Ample "opportunities" for it to connect / try to connect to the the internet: and unless you have an active WiFi connection the 3G or Edge connections will take over....:(

(Alas, am still not CERTAIN that it ONLY connects via Wifi whenever a Wifi connection exists: just holding my breath until first billing arrives...)

-> With that few minutes of talk time, are you mainly planning to use the Fuze as a PDA?? What applications do you run?

Reid Kistler
12-02-2008, 04:52 AM
Busy weekend, but discovered ;) a couple of fun new things about the Fuze:

1) The stylus becomes magnetized - strong enough to pick up a paper clip (could be handy in a pinch! :)) OR to remain stuck to the casing of the Fuze - at least we know that there is SOME metal in the body!

THINK that this characteristic results from frequently inserting & removing the stylus from its (Magnetized) storage port. Surprised the heck out of me the first time it stuck to the case! :eek:

2) Windows Mobile Device Center is a Kludge! If possible, think it is even worse than ActiveSync - and am still running AS 3.8 or so on the Axim (the last version that would permit WiFi syncing....).

3) PhatNotes Pro, in particular, does NOT get along well with WMDC. MAY have found a workable stalemate, but will need to do some more experimentation to be certain.

4) You can get along pretty well with Fitaly - but screen is still too unresponsive for personal preference. (And, YES, there is supposedly a registry hack to address that - but have not tried it yet....)

5) DID try Tweaks2k, and DID manage to get the silly SUPER LARGE system menus cut down to size. But that was hardly an intuitive undertaking either.
Actually UNLOADED the program, thinking it was a Complete Failure, before finding out that the Menu size had been changed: but it takes a RESET before impact is known (hey, it was a LONG Weekend....! :o ).

In any event, took advantage of the Cyber Monday sale & purchased a copy of Tweaks2k: who know, may someday want to change those menus back! (Nah.....)

Farmer Ted
12-02-2008, 06:08 AM
[I]
-> With that few minutes of talk time, are you mainly planning to use the Fuze as a PDA?? What applications do you run?

Yeah, it's mainly going to be used as a pda. I take notes, use tasks and the calender and contacts and whatnot. I use excel a little bit, and occasionally word. I'll use it as an mp3 player and an e-book reader (I read a lot of e-books). I like having a pda for trips-no books to carry, and I can entertain myself pretty well in the airport and on planes. The camera (which seems pretty decent) is just gravy. I forget my phone all the time (never the pda), so it will be nice to have that integrated into the device. I've sent maybe 3 texts in my entire life, so that's not a big priority.

I've been using my pda as a lap-top replacement on business trips lately, and it's been OK. I think the fuze with a redfly could be really nice.

Farmer Ted
12-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Be careful about DATA: am thoroughly enjoying the Fuze (although NOT so much Vista / MS Mobile Device Center!) - HOWEVER: there seem to be Ample "opportunities" for it to connect / try to connect to the the internet: and unless you have an active WiFi connection the 3G or Edge connections will take over....:(

(Alas, am still not CERTAIN that it ONLY connects via Wifi whenever a Wifi connection exists: just holding my breath until first billing arrives...)

Found this thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=438058) that may help with the problem. I'll probably just use airport mode when I'm connecting to wi-fi if I have to. I don't want anyone to call me, anyway. :)

hummingbirdhill
12-04-2008, 03:36 AM
The way the contacts are on the Fuze is very conFUSing; I tried for days to figure how to use them separately but nada.

Yes, indeed - probably easier for someone who has used a phone/ppc combo before, but not at all intuitive for a "new" user: the Axim is simply less conFUSing...:o

Had a LONG - albeit not entirely UNrewarding - weekend, and have not yet wrapped my brain around your problem: have you come up with a solution yet???

Spent "spare time" yesterday (!) & today trying to make friends with Vista's Windows Mobile Device Center: had THOUGHT ActiveSync was the epitome of #%&#^ Software, but think WMDC has it beat!

Yah, Mister Kistler ;-) my iPAQs have been much simpler to use than my Fuze but I am determined to master this lil dude. No, I've not figured a solution; I teach online at a local university and this is busy end of semester time---which means that I've not ever synced my Fuze with Outlook again---a huge IRK too. But I am scared to! I wonder who I could contact---HTC support?---to find out whether I'll lose my contacts if I sync with Outlook again?

Yes, removing the stylus from the device wakes it up if the Fuze has become sleepy . . . So cool, huh?

What is complicating your WMDC relationship? I much prefer the ActiveSync of old (because of its more obvious options) but I've not had any probs with the WMDC so far with iPAQ or Fuze.

Having cruised with the Fuze for 3 weeks now, today it froze twice while in key lock mode, and it took forever to get it to work. Both times the owner info screen appeared and wouldn't budge for several (maybe 5-8) minutes. Anyone had this frozen reaction?

Farmer Ted
12-05-2008, 11:13 PM
How do you guys disconnect when you're synched up to a computer? I can't figure out any obvious way (although if I turn on the phone radio, it does it sometimes). I'm used to just clicking on a little connection icon on the today screen, and then clicking on 'disconnect.' I haven't had enough time to go through the manual yet, and I hate just pulling the plug (but maybe that's what you're supposed to do).

hummingbirdhill
12-06-2008, 02:59 AM
How do you guys disconnect when you're synched up to a computer? I can't figure out any obvious way (although if I turn on the phone radio, it does it sometimes). I'm used to just clicking on a little connection icon on the today screen, and then clicking on 'disconnect.' I haven't had enough time to go through the manual yet, and I hate just pulling the plug (but maybe that's what you're supposed to do).

Yo, Farmer Ted, when the green sync icon in the puter task tray and the sync arrows on the title bar of the Fuze quit moving, just unplugging is safe---and what I always do with my WinMobile devices.

If you click anything first, the sync MIGHT not start automatically the next time the device is USB'd to the puter.

Farmer Ted
12-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Cool, thanks, now I know why I sometimes have trouble re-establishing my sync!

Reid Kistler
12-07-2008, 10:43 PM
What is complicating your WMDC relationship? I much prefer the ActiveSync of old (because of its more obvious options) but I've not had any probs with the WMDC so far with iPAQ or Fuze.

The Fuze was not recognized by WMDC at first - had go through a lot of rigmarole to get WMDC properly installed on the desktop, and then found its interface - and the two-application sync process - to be Less Than Intuitive :(.

Then once the basic sync was established had a difficult time with PhatNotes: first in getting WMDC to even RECOGNIZE that PhatNotes existed, and then to determine how to set the sync options up. (With added frustration as the Sync Details menu would Disappear from the PhatNotes WMDC listing! :confused: ).

PhatWare has some standard advice for establishing sync "contact" - basically uninstall / reinstall, albeit with concern about having a WMDC upgrade installed - and while that process DID seem to work, things somehow got bollixed up again so had to repeat the process....

Too much else going on this week to devote the time to get everything set up (on Fuze AND on VISTA!). Really expected a Simple operation. :rolleyes:

Reid Kistler
12-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Anyone had this frozen reaction?

Have had the Fuze Completely Lock Up once thus far. Although it was not at a Critical Time, incident did provide a reminder of why I was reluctant to trust a Single Device to be both Phone & PPC....

Beyond that, the only significant glitch is that PIE no longer seems to work: although it indicates a connection, the resulting screen is simply blank white...

Opera Mobile seems to work as well as it ever has: that is, not very well, but it does connect & show websites.

Bluetooth headset is a true blessing: helps keep body grease off face of Fuze :D, and permits use as PPC during a conversation. Am simply keeping the Bluetooth communications switched "ON" nearly all of the time.....

hummingbirdhill
12-08-2008, 07:38 PM
[/I]The Fuze was not recognized by WMDC at first - had go through a lot of rigmarole to get WMDC properly installed on the desktop, and then found its interface - and the two-application sync process - to be Less Than Intuitive :(.

Then once the basic sync was established had a difficult time with PhatNotes:

Uhhh, exactly what do you mean by the 2-app sync process, Mister Kistler? I think I don't follow that . . . (Do you speak of WMDC and ActiveSync? Or what?)

Don't know how to help with Phat (but I surely am acquainted with fat!). I use HanDBase on my iPAQ (have for years) and it is quite good and non-interruptive.

Speaking of HanDBase, I noticed when I updated the data on my desktop version yesterday that it now has options of choosing sync for iPAQ and Fuze----However, the HanDBase website sells two diferent versions of the software for PPC and for smartphone . . . But since the OPTION presents itself, I wonder if it would be SAFE to install my PPC version into my Fuze???? Has anyone tried that?

Farmer Ted
12-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Beyond that, the only significant glitch is that PIE no longer seems to work: although it indicates a connection, the resulting screen is simply blank white...

Opera Mobile seems to work as well as it ever has: that is, not very well, but it does connect & show websites.

Bummer about PIE. I actually prefer it most of the time to Opera. Opera annoys me the way it goes to full screen automatically (and usually just when I don't want it to). It also takes a real long time to load up, and goes to some default att website that I can't see. Haven't figure out how to change the home page there yet (if I can).

I got my gps working with sportsdo today, and I'm psyched! It actually connects pretty quickly, and seems to have good sensitivity (to my low standards). It connected fine in my jacket pocket while I was driving, so it oughta work ok in my pack when I'm mountain biking or hiking. I have had trouble uploading my test data to the sportsdo website, though, but I'll figure it out. And I've already loaded 11 gb of music onto my expansion card. It took me a while to figure out how to create a playlist with the touchflo music player, but I finally figured it out (it's rather laborious, though).

hummingbirdhill
12-09-2008, 02:36 AM
[I]
/I]Have had the Fuze Completely Lock Up once thus far. Although it was not at a Critical Time, incident did provide a reminder of why I was reluctant to trust a Single Device to be both Phone & PPC....

Bluetooth headset is a true blessing: helps keep body grease off face of Fuze :D...

Do you know what CAUSED the lock up? (Just curious.)

I definitely prefer PIE over Opera. But why does it show the blank white screen? I don't normally access websites on my cellphone, but I did attempt to get Google a few times the first day I played with my Fuze. Each time I logged in to access my iGoogle page, it never happened and I didn't ever understand why. I wasted a LOT of data KBs that way and haven't tried it again.

I have found my ideal Fuze case! It has a flip-up top that folds back to the rear to be a stand for on-the-desk use, from Liz Claiborne, but there are only two in town at Best Buy and they are both all messed up. Can't find it anywhere online, even at BB. It's called an iPod or iPhone flip-up case, and was priced at $30-something at BB.

Speaking of cases, I notice these days that a lot seem to include a chamois cloth ---very appropo, huh? :-)

hummingbirdhill
12-09-2008, 02:47 AM
[/I]The Fuze was not recognized by WMDC at first - had go through a lot of rigmarole to get WMDC properly installed on the desktop, and then found its interface - and the two-application sync process - to be Less Than Intuitive :(.

Have you checked out:
Start/Settings/Connections/USB to PC
and tried UNchecking the first SQUARE (not the first circle)?

Farmer Ted
12-09-2008, 11:57 PM
I am finding that it's a good idea to do a soft re-set every day or two. I've got it set up so that pushing the X button shuts any running programs down, but it doesn't seem to work all that well. After a re-set, the quick menu will say that 32% of the program memory is being used, but after running the gps or music player for a while (and other programs), it will creep up to ~50%, and clicking X's doesn't seem to help. When it's over 50%, things slow down a bit. I have had a freeze up or two so far.

Reid Kistler
12-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Uhhh, exactly what do you mean by the 2-app sync process,

Apparently WMDC is little more (nothing more?) than a GUI shell placed on top of the ActiveSync engine, or so have read elsewhere.

Regardless, several times during the Make A Connection / Sync process had a Plain-Jane SYNC info box pop up on the bottom of my Vista screen. Wasted some time trying to find a way to locate & open that box (app) in the hopes that it would somehow permit more Optional Settings than WMDC provides.

Guess it is only a "something is going on" information box, as have yet to find anything other than WMDC for Vista....

I use HanDBase on my iPAQ (have for years) and it is quite good and non-interruptive.

Used HanDBase for a spell back in the Handspring days, before deciding that what I wanted was a "Free Text" database. (Of course, what I REALLY wanted was a version of Instant Recall that would work on both PPC & PC; alas, not to be had!).

Speaking of HanDBase, I noticed when I updated the data on my desktop version yesterday that it now has options of choosing sync for iPAQ and Fuze----However, the HanDBase website sells two diferent versions of the software for PPC and for smartphone . . . But since the OPTION presents itself, I wonder if it would be SAFE to install my PPC version into my Fuze???? Has anyone tried that?

You may know this by now, but the FUZE is "PPC" as opposed to "Smartphone" - most vendors make the distinction based upon whether or not a device has a TOUCHSCREEN (PPC) or NOT (Smartphone).

Reid Kistler
12-11-2008, 01:01 AM
Opera annoys me the way it goes to full screen automatically

Switch between Firefox & Opera on the desktop, but have not made friends with Opera Mobile yet. There are a couple of methods designed to ZOOM the display under Opera, but my "touch" is not adept yet: sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't.....

I got my gps working with sportsdo today, and I'm psyched! It actually connects pretty quickly, and seems to have good sensitivity (to my low standards). It connected fine in my jacket pocket while I was driving, so it oughta work ok in my pack when I'm mountain biking or hiking. I have had trouble uploading my test data to the sportsdo website, though, but I'll figure it out.

Got a warning yesterday that the GPS database on my Fuze was out-of-date - but the update process immediately tried to open a 3G connection: don't have a data plan (Messaging only) so will have to figure out how to get it to update over wifi and/or during Sync process.

My understanding is the the Actual GPS signal runs "outside of" 3G/Edge - that is, is NOT subject to AT&T Data Charges. Is that your impression as well??

Once hiked from Heidelberg to Darmstadt - in February no less - and we could have USED a GPS then, but have yet to play with one & am looking to forward to trying it out on the Fuze. Have seen AT&T's app running on a Pearl, but apparently you can load a 3rd party app & take advantage of the built-in GPS radio.... (?)

And I've already loaded 11 gb of music onto my expansion card. It took me a while to figure out how to create a playlist with the touchflo music player, but I finally figured it out (it's rather laborious, though).

11GB?!?! My entire expansion card is only a 2gb unit - and am realizing that I don't yet know exactly what I will NEED that for!

<!-- / message --> <!-- edit note --> <hr style="color: rgb(224, 224, 224);" size="1"> Last edited by Farmer Ted; 12-08-2008 at 05:29 PM..

Reid Kistler
12-11-2008, 01:43 AM
Do you know what CAUSED the lock up? (Just curious.)

Do not know - and (thankfully!) it has not repeated itself. However, loaded (& unloaded) several apps + messed around with the WMDC / Sync process, and it very well could have been something that would have been prevented by a judicious Soft Reset at the proper time.

I definitely prefer PIE over Opera. But why does it show the blank white screen?

Found time to play a bit last night, & THIS I did figure out: 1) The "home page" setting in PIE was set to a non-existent address; 2) "View" was set to Full Screen. The combo produces a Blank White Screen with no menus / dialogs at top or bottom....

Don't know what the deal is with the PIE Home Page (on my Axim it is set to an internal page), but the View / Full Screen was obviously On Me....:o

I don't normally access websites on my cellphone (http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/#), but I did attempt to get Google a few times the first day I played with my Fuze. Each time I logged in to access my iGoogle page, it never happened and I didn't ever understand why. I wasted a LOT of data KBs that way and haven't tried it again.

Used data connection on Razr mainly for weather & sport scores, but have used the Axim's WiFi connection a lot: handy at Panera Bread of course (among other eateries), but also in nearly every hotel we have stayed in recently - and even at our church for several years now (nice to be on the bleeding edge....).

One of the problems that crops up with internet access (besides a small, lo-res screen ;)) is that PIE gets REPORTED as "PIE" and some web sites won't handle it. Although more & more sites at least offer a "mobile version" sometimes still run into a glitch - Earthlink's Web Mail app was like that: could READ mail using the Axim, but not REPLY to it.

GMail has worked fine with the Axim & expect it will with the Fuze as well, although have not tested it yet....
I have found my ideal Fuze case! It has a flip-up top that folds back to the rear to be a stand for on-the-desk use, from Liz Claiborne, but there are only two in town at Best Buy (http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/#) and they are both all messed up. Can't find it anywhere online, even at BB. It's called an iPod or iPhone flip-up case, and was priced at $30-something at BB.

Still mulling cases over, and have yet to see anything that looks Great. Am not familiar with the one you reference, but as a Manly Man don't know if I could get away with carrying my Fuze around in a LIZ Claiborne Case :D.

How is the Fuze held in place by the case you saw? That seems to be the sticking point: have seen a couple of nice looking cases that put a SHEET OF PLASTIC over the top of the keyboard: functional as a restraint, but doesn't seem likely to facilitate typing, AND would worry about having something 'stuck' between the sliding halves of the Fuze.

Another nice looking case has little hook-shaped fingers that wrap around the entire height of the Fuze along the sides while permitting sliding at the top: seemed like a nice approach until stopped to think about how difficult it would be to REACH AROUND the fingers to try to type on the keyboard.

You can even buy a metal case for the unit - in Black or Silver - but that seems to add a lot of bulk. PLUS, what works well for a "PDA" does not necessarily work as well for a "PHONE" - and vice versa... A real dilemma.

Speaking of cases, I notice these days that a lot seem to include a chamois cloth ---very appropo, huh? :-)

Have a large microcloth that came with a pair of glasses: works well; sometimes a spritz of eyeglass cleaner (on the cloth....) helps.

Of course, if you have Soft Pockets, simply sliding the unit in & out a couple of times often polishes things up nicely! :cool:

hummingbirdhill
12-11-2008, 01:45 AM
But since the OPTION presents itself, I wonder if it would be SAFE to install my PPC version into my Fuze???? Has anyone tried that?

[/I]You may know this by now, but the FUZE is "PPC" as opposed to "Smartphone" - most vendors make the distinction based upon whether or not a device has a TOUCHSCREEN (PPC) or NOT (Smartphone).[/QUOTE]

Thanks hugely, Mister Kistler, for that affirmation! My Fuze is like a fraternal twin to my iPAQ, but I was afraid to call it anything but a smartphone (even though it feels dumb to call it a smartphone). I have used a Nokia smartphone for almost three years and the Fuze dances sophisticated circles around the Nokia. But I didn't know I was permitted to call the Fuze a PPC. So, YAY for that info. :-)

I am "listening" with great interest to y'all's conversation about gps. Have never used it, but I want to use the maps that the Fuze User Manual (page 31) claims it comes with, even though I can't afford the monthly gps subscription. So . . . if one of you figures it out, please post what you figure out, okay?

Reid Kistler
12-11-2008, 01:49 AM
Have you checked out:
Start/Settings/Connections/USB to PC and tried UNchecking the first SQUARE (not the first circle)?

Thank-you: did notice that screen when playing around with the Fuze/Vista connection.

Assume "Enable advanced network..." is UNchecked by default, as that was the state I found it in (UNchecked).

Does beg the ??: What exactly IS "Advanced Network Functionality?" And why would one want it? :confused:

Reid Kistler
12-11-2008, 01:57 AM
I didn't know I was permitted to call the Fuze a PPC.

Correcting myself - Correctly, I hope... - think the PROPER term is a "Windows Mobile Pocket PC."

In any event, the clear(er) distinction is that a "Windows Mobile Smartphone" will not have a Touch Screen....

Reid Kistler
12-11-2008, 02:06 AM
Useful bits learned recently:

1) Between the small diameter stylus, small landing area, and Slightly Reluctant touch-screen, taking Extended notes on the Fuze is not as comfortable as on the Axim. (Using Fitaly; note-taking duration in excess of 1/2 hour....)

2) If you are refinishing furniture & have progressed into the Applying Soft Wax stage, the combination of waxed fingertips and smoothed-body Fuze make for a Slippery Grip.

3) IF you DROP the Fuze from - oh, say Pocket Height - and it lands on a Hardwood floor, the back WILL fly off, resulting in a moment of Sheer Panic :eek:.

4) You CAN drop the Fuze from - oh, say Pocket Height - and it will a) incur no apparent physical damage (beyond shedding its back...), and b) continue to work without skipping a beat.
NOTE: YMMV, & author assumes NO LIABILITY for those silly enough to try this on their own unit.

5) Really, REALLY need to consider wisdom of purchasing a Non-Slip Case for the not-so-cheap Fuze!

hummingbirdhill
12-11-2008, 03:11 AM
[I]Have you checked out:
Start/Settings/Connections/USB to PC and tried UNchecking the first SQUARE (not the first circle)?

Assume "Enable advanced network..." is UNchecked by default, as that was the state I found it in (UNchecked).

Does beg the ??: What exactly IS "Advanced Network Functionality?" And why would one want it? :confused:

On my Fuze, the default (outta the box) was CHECKED. Weird.
I believe I read that "enable advanced network" pertains to LAN or perhaps it is WLAN. I know I read about it and I think it was in the User Manual.

hummingbirdhill
12-11-2008, 03:30 AM
Useful bits learned recently:

1) Between the small diameter stylus, small landing area, and Slightly Reluctant touch-screen, taking Extended notes on the Fuze is not as comfortable as on the Axim. (Using Fitaly; note-taking duration in excess of 1/2 hour....)

5) Really, REALLY need to consider wisdom of purchasing a Non-Slip Case for the not-so-cheap Fuze!

I prefer to use the pull-out KB during a voice call---but I DO love extracting the stylus to make the notepad present itself! :-)

I don't s'pose you'd want to advertise that you were using a Liz C case ;-) but I will admit: My husband wouldn't use one for his Eternity either!

Description of the Liz C flip-up case:
The front flips UP and then BACK to make the stand for the phone which I would so love; I don't like it lying around on my desk and then having to pick it up to see who's calling or to check weather, etcetera. The entire front screen shows, if I remember correctly. If it weren't such a crowded shopping season, I'd have returned to BB to see if some new ones had come in. I really do want one of those dudes. Right now when I am out of my studio, I wear a leather frontless case around my neck with the Fuze inside; this case I used with my Nokia 3650 that has a round dial but whose innards ultimately became antiquated. :( I require the use of my cellphone without removing it from a case---I think that is imbecilic, although most cellphone users seem to do that these days. Removing and reinserting a cellphone as many times as I would need to do so would be very irritatingly inconvenient---particularly while driving.

Mister Kistler, where can I purchase some of those SoftPockets you mentioned? ;-)

hummingbirdhill
12-11-2008, 03:43 AM
Found time to play a bit last night, & THIS I did figure out: 1) The "home page" setting in PIE was set to a non-existent address; 2) "View" was set to Full Screen. The combo produces a Blank White Screen with no menus / dialogs at top or bottom....

[/I] have used the Axim's WiFi connection a lot: handy at Panera Bread of course (among other eateries), but also in nearly every hotel we have stayed in recently - and even at our church for several years now (nice to be on the bleeding edge....).

Another nice looking case has little hook-shaped fingers that wrap around the entire height of the Fuze along the sides while permitting sliding at the top: seemed like a nice approach until stopped to think about how difficult it would be to REACH AROUND the fingers to try to type on the keyboard. You can even buy a metal case for the unit - in Black or Silver -

[/I]Have a large microcloth that came with a pair of glasses: works well; sometimes a spritz of eyeglass cleaner (on the cloth....) helps.
:

Thanks for sharing the logic behind the PIE blank page; that makes sense!

Our church also got wifi a few months ago! :-)

The case that ATT sells in-store for Fuze is AWFUL IMHO. It is hard plastic and could quickly scratch the Fuze's shine. I want LEATHER for my case. :-)

I am scheduled for cataract surgery this month---which means a new prescription for specs next month---I believe I'll ask the Optic Shop to throw in one of those soft cloths; they'll never know it's for my Fuze rather than specs!

Farmer Ted
12-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Got a warning yesterday that the GPS database on my Fuze was out-of-date - but the update process immediately tried to open a 3G connection: don't have a data plan (Messaging only) so will have to figure out how to get it to update over wifi and/or during Sync process.

My understanding is the the Actual GPS signal runs "outside of" 3G/Edge - that is, is NOT subject to AT&T Data Charges. Is that your impression as well??

Once hiked from Heidelberg to Darmstadt - in February no less - and we could have USED a GPS then, but have yet to play with one & am looking to forward to trying it out on the Fuze. Have seen AT&T's app running on a Pearl, but apparently you can load a 3rd party app & take advantage of the built-in GPS radio.... (?)

I'm guessing that the out-of-date gps database means that you need to use the QuickGPS tool (programs--->tools--->quickGPS). It downloads the most recent satellite configurations, and helps the device get a fix. You can do it via wi-fi or if you're synched up to a PC that has an internet connections. You can have it done automatically everytime you synch up by checking the 3d box in the Options menu.

I've got no data plan at all, and the gps works. And, yes, it's free. It's kind of weird. I expected that there was just going to be a program called GPS or something (duh!) that would turn it on and off, etc. There isn't. I use sportsdo (sportsdo.net), and basically you open it up, and it takes care of everything. Doesn't matter if the phone is on or off, or anything like that. It does take a while to get a lock the first time you turn it on after a soft re-set, I've since found. I just keep clicking "scan gps" until it locks in, and then it works great. With sportsdo, you can track your movements, and it integrates your distance travelled, elevation gain and approximate calories expended per activity (I'm sure that isn't particularly accurate) as well as a few other things. You can upload your data to their website, and it will show you your track overlaid onto a map or a satellite map. It's pretty cool. It's not useful for navigation, but to be honest, I pretty much never go anywhere that I'm going to be lost, so that's not something I need. It does show you a trace of where you've gone, so if you were lost in the woods, you could figure out how to re-trace your steps.

11GB?!?! My entire expansion card is only a 2gb unit - and am realizing that I don't yet know exactly what I will NEED that for!

Heh, I wish there was a reasonably price 32 gb card out there, to be honest. I'm feeling the sqeeze with only about 3 gb free space left (darn card only has 15 gb). I've loaded a couple movies on there now, and the space is going fast!

Farmer Ted
12-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Re:GPS

I found this thread (http://discuss.pocketnow.com/showthread.php?t=25350) on pocketnow, and it sounds like terracrosser is a pretty decent work-around for not having a mapping program (it's free). Haven't tried it myself.

I may be done with TouchFlo. I'm trying out just using the regular Today screen. TouchFlo just seems to slow things down way to much. After shutting it off and doing a re-start, I'm at 29% on the quick menu; normally, I might be at 33% with TouchFlo running, but, if I play any music on the touchflo player, it bogs everything down badly, and requires a re-start sooner rather than later.

Reid Kistler
12-13-2008, 12:19 AM
I found this thread (http://discuss.pocketnow.com/showthread.php?t=25350) on pocketnow, and it sounds like terracrosser is a pretty decent work-around for not having a mapping program (it's free). Haven't tried it myself.

Thanks for the link. Will check it out when finally get around to playing with GPS..
Was able to get the GPS database updated while connected via WiFi, which certainly beats running a 3G connection (with NO data plan....).

I may be done with TouchFlo. I'm trying out just using the regular Today screen.

Have made a little more headway with TouchFlo - and see that at least one person has been experimenting with an "instant switch" app to change between it & regular interface - but have not made decision yet.

Have enjoyed running SPB Pocket Plus & Spb Diary on the Axim & assumed would move those to the Fuze when set for "production," thus overriding TouchFlo - but it seems that the Spb products have some problems with WM6, so will have to wait for a bit hoping for an update, thus buying TouchFlo some more time....

Am still considering What Case to get & not really liking ANY of the known options. May just order a cheap slip cover for the time being...
(Nokia N95 is almost same size as Fuze & therefore hope a case for it will also fit Fuze....)

hummingbirdhill
12-15-2008, 02:36 AM
Am still considering What Case to get & not really liking ANY of the known options. May just order a cheap slip cover for the time being...
(Nokia N95 is almost same size as Fuze & therefore hope a case for it will also fit Fuze....)

The iPhone 3G case fits our Fuzes. :-) Lots more options 'cause of that. Not sure, though, if our 2 telephone icons at the bottom will be accessible with one of those cases. Has anyone in here tried an iPhone case on a Fuze???

Reid Kistler
12-17-2008, 03:00 AM
Needed to "fill out" an order for some items so added a Bytech "WST107-SM Case for Nokia N95" to the order.
The box notes that the case "Fits most small size phones," and the Fuze is a moderately tight fit, although that could be 'by design' given the closeness between the N95 & Fuze dimensions.

This is a remove-it-to-use-it case, and while it actually looks fairly nice, it is a good-quality (hopefully!) vinyl so would not expect a LONG life span.

It has a good fixed belt clip (think of a money-clip design) & holds the unit horizontally if clipped to a belt. There is a strong magnetic closure for the front (top) flap, with both ends open excepting for a stretch-anchored 3/4" band that keeps the device from sliding out.

There is also an open slot on the bottom of the unit to help push it out; depending upon orientation, this slot is Perfectly Aligned to permit access to the ever-useful PTT to button.... :rolleyes:

All-in-all probably worth the $6 paid, but would have been Disappointed at the $12.99 (!) price marked on the box....

Reid Kistler
12-17-2008, 03:14 AM
BTW: Partially in response to using the new case to carry the Fuze around, have taken to leaving the BLUETOOTH connection on throughout the day.

This is actually one area where the TouchFlo interface is nice: can turn on (or off) Communication Options quickly - but NOT when unit is sitting in its case in a coat or pants pocket, hence decision to simply leave Bluetooth ON.

I "control" the actual Bluetooth Fuze-to-headset connection by simply turning the headset On or Off: leaving the headset OFF most of the day, and only turning it ON when making or receiving a call.

The phone is set up to Auto Answer Incoming calls - on either a 10 or 15 second delay, which is Just Enough to switch the headset ON & make a connection before the incoming call times out (assuming the calling party is reasonably patient... And if they are NOT, then probably don't need to speak with them anyway! ;)).

Have also made pretty good friends with Voice Command for dialing - at least for the numbers called most often.

Farmer Ted
12-23-2008, 09:00 PM
I just re-mapped the PTT button on my fuze so that a short push opens up mobipocket, and a long push opens up sportsdo (a gps application). It's pretty sweet, and nice to not have the annoying PTT warning come up every time I accidentally hit the button. There's a post (http://www.fuzemobility.com/?p=598) on fuzemobility that walks you through the process. It's easy to set the button to open up pretty much any program. The video is very helpful, although I had to slow it down by repeatedly hitting pause.

hummingbirdhill
12-24-2008, 07:43 PM
I just re-mapped the PTT button on my fuze so that a short push opens up mobipocket, and a long push opens up sportsdo (a gps application). It's pretty sweet, and nice to not have the annoying PTT warning come up every time I accidentally hit the button. There's a post (http://www.fuzemobility.com/?p=598) on fuzemobility that walks you through the process. It's easy to set the button to open up pretty much any program. The video is very helpful, although I had to slow it down by repeatedly hitting pause.

Yo, Farmer Ted, that sounds exciting! I will try to check it out this week. I recently saw instructions for changing that button but I was afraid to try it since I've never remapped anything digital before. But now that you have been successful, I may attempt it meself. :-)

Merry Christmas, Everyone!

Farmer Ted
12-26-2008, 12:59 AM
It's a piece of cake; I haven't written any code in my life, and I figured it out.

Just started playing around with the voice command. Day-amm, it's pretty cool!

Edit: I also took the plunge and flashed (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=448008) a new ROM on this sucker. It works a helluva lot better now, and is faaast! It's pretty sweet. I've only had it a day like this, but I like it a lot. ATT no longer has its fingerprints all over the device.

hummingbirdhill
01-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Edit: I also took the plunge and flashed (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=448008) a new ROM on this sucker. It works a helluva lot better now, and is faaast! It's pretty sweet. I've only had it a day like this, but I like it a lot. ATT no longer has its fingerprints all over the device.

Now, Farmer Ted, where did you find a diff ROM??? And does your Fuze still work on AT&T??? I'd surely love to have the netrwork junk off my unit!

Farmer Ted
01-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Now, Farmer Ted, where did you find a diff ROM??? And does your Fuze still work on AT&T??? I'd surely love to have the network junk off my unit!

The guys over at xda-developers have a bunch to choose from; here's the forum (http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=440) where you can download any of them. They've also got a ROM wiki (http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=HTC_Raphael_Cooked_WM6.1_ROMs) that lists many of the ROMs (probably not all). I use t-mobile (no probs at all), and you can still use ATT-there are some ROMs that are optimized just for ATT. Pretty much all of them have the att junk removed, and have performance tweaks built in. I went for one that was already finished (RomeOS2 1.51. conFuzed edition (w/o TF3D aka Manila)). It seems pretty bug-free to me, and is a lot faster than the stock att ROM-there's certainly nothing I miss, and pretty much any application that you might miss has a cab file that you can download and install over there (in case you really, really need that 20 second Ms. PacMan demo). I may upgrade to the RomeOS2 1.7 series when it's done (or the stickied Raphael elite when it's done), but otherwise I'm pretty happy.

Read up before doing anything, though, especially the flashing for noobs thread that I linked to above. It's got all the info you need. Flashing a new ROM voids your warranty, but you can flash the old one back on (and remove the hard-spl) if you need to send the phone in for any reason (guess you're in trouble if the phone won't sync up). There's a small risk of bricking your device, but as far as I can tell, it's usually folks who do something really dumb, like flash a gsm ROM onto a CDMA phone, or who leave their sd card in the phone during the flash, which can cause problems if a program launches. Basically, you first flash the hard-spl (no idea what it is, but it's mandatory; only have to do it one time). This takes a whopping 30 seconds. Once you've done that, you pretty much know the process. Then you flash the ROM (which took me about 5 min-could vary from ROM to ROM). Then, after starting the phone up, you do a hard reset, I think when it gets to the screen alignment request. Pretty simple.

To do everything, you need Net Framework 3.5 installed on your computer, you need Windows XP (apparently Vista is finicky), and you need winrar (google it) or a similar unzipping program to open up the .rar files that the ROMs are compressed in. You need to turn off all anti-virus software (during the download, the unzipping (had probs with that) and especially during the flash). It also helps to empty your browser cache during the ROM download (don't know why, but it makes a difference). You've got to turn off screen-savers and power-saving options (also on the phone) during the flash. I also dis-connected my pc from my wireless network. Basically, you don't want anything weird to happen during that 5 min period, like someone remotely accesses your pc or some scheduled windows update occurs (or the pc shuts off!). Then you may be screwed. There's other precautions, but you should be fine if you just read the noob thread and follow everything it says. The ROM updater (or whatever it's called) is kind of like a program installation wizard, and it has 4 or 5 screens with checkboxes (and "next" buttons) that reminds you of a lot of this stuff before the flash occurs.

I was nervous as hell when I did everything, but I didn't find it that hard in the end (I'm pretty clueless) and wouldn't be afraid to do it again. It was actually kind of exhilarating.

One added benefit: that annoying 3G splash screen that goes "Whoooosh!" is now gone forever. That in and of itself was worth it to me.