View Full Version : Dell Puts Music Player Plans on Hold

Jason Dunn
11-11-2008, 02:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/11/dell-kills-musi.html' target='_blank'>http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/...kills-musi.html</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"It may have been a bad idea to begin with and Dell finally seems to have realized it. The company says it has now abandoned plans to launch a digital media player tied to an online store. Dell had planned to launch a MP3 player this year that could potentially compete with Apple's iconic iPod line and Microsoft's struggling Zune player. But the company could have done well to learn from Microsoft's experience with the Zune before it started on its venture."</em></p><p>Oh un-named Dell music player...we hardly knew ye! I can't say I'm all that surprised at this - in order to compete with the iPod, a music player needs to have great hardware <em>and </em>great software...and when's the last time you saw Dell crank out any great software? Yeah, exactly. The Zune is a credible option to the iPod because it has quality hardware, and a solid desktop software experience. I can't see Dell doing anything in this market to compete with either the iPod, or even the Zune.</p>

Hooch Tan
11-11-2008, 01:11 PM
I don't see Dell developing software themselves that would compete with iTunes, but partner with some company that offered music and video sales. Unfortunately, there aren't many options out there right now, and the longer they wait, I imagine a greater amount of consolidation will occur.

They very nature of video and music distribution for the average consumer tends to lean towards consolidation, which I think contributes to why iTunes is so successful. There's decent pricing and n easy to use interface as well, but in order to compete against that beast, one needs deep pockets and the right deals with lots of music distributors.

Sad to see Dell not trying to enter the market, but they may not be in a good enough financial position to do so just yet. It'd be nice to see another competitor though.

David Tucker
11-11-2008, 01:59 PM
I don't think Dell needed to compete in the Zune - iPod battle. There's another battle they could fight and gain plenty of marketshare -> Sandisk & Creative.

I don't think they could beat out those guys though. Dell's not known for their consumer design so much as their value. (Though my Mini 9 is pretty nice I have to say!)