View Full Version : What Speech Recognition/Phone Dialer software to get?

possmann
11-10-2008, 07:41 PM
I am currently using the Microsoft Speech Command - have been for several years. It is "OK" but I have got to think that there are better software applications out there that take up a smaller foot print and/or have increased accuracy in understanding what you are asking it to do for you.

Recently I am having some problems with being recognized and understood by MS Speech Command. It's getting a bit annoying which has me wondering if there is anything else people have been using?

90% of the time I use this application to "Call someone on Mobile" or "Call someone at work" etc... the other 10% of the time I am using it to "Dial 123-555-1234" meaning some number I am reading off a page and hoping the software will recognize and dial. I never use it to open up a file or for windows media player

I really like that I don't have to setup voice files for each number and it's nice to have an option to "Open file" etc...

I see that Nuance Communications has a Voice Control application - anyone use that at all? Are there any others out there?

Restroom
12-01-2008, 06:09 AM
If you get any info, take a minute to repost back here and let us know what you went with. I'm in the same predicament, and I know there has to be fully-featured speech-to-text and voice-control software out there. If not out-and-out dictation, then at least a voice keyboard.

I mean, it's really dangerous to mess with that fiddly little keyboard trying to look all the **** up on the internet that only occurs to me while I'm driving. Then again, I'm not sure I want to be one of those people driving around speaking to an empty car; there are quite enough of those on the road and they bother me. Maybe I could make an on-dash or steering-column mount for one of these things. (http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/products.asp)

Pony99CA
12-02-2008, 11:06 PM
I mean, it's really dangerous to mess with that fiddly little keyboard trying to look all the **** up on the internet that only occurs to me while I'm driving.
You think? ;)

Then again, I'm not sure I want to be one of those people driving around speaking to an empty car; there are quite enough of those on the road and they bother me.
It bothers me far more that somebody may be typing search queries into a PDA while driving than it does to see other people talking to "themselves" (of course, they're more likely talking to somebody on the phone). Wouldn't it make more sense to use the voice notes feature to record your thoughts and do the searching later?

Maybe I could make an on-dash or steering-column mount for one of these things. (http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/products.asp)
What would the virtual laser keyboard be displayed on? Your dashboard?

Steve