View Full Version : iPod Classic Still Current?

Rick76
11-10-2008, 05:38 PM
I am interested to know how many people feel the iPod Classic is still current and "buyable". What I mean by this is, with all the press time and hype regarding the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPod Nano's, is there still a market for the iPod Classic.

Personally, I think there is. I like the idea of having one central location (besides iTunes) for all my media. Keeping it portable and all in one spot.

Now, to give you some background, I have been (and still am) a Windows Mobile user since the days of WinCE. I also have a number of mp3 players still kicking around. Once upon a time I started ripping my CD's and transferring them to my mp3 player(s) and burning to CD's (mixes). Then I decided to get serious and rip my complete CD library (300+) to my computer using Windows Media.

About halfway through this process I had an opportunity to get a free iPod using points and I jumped on it. It was a 30GB 5.5G iPod and I very quickly filled it with music, videos and pictures. Now all my portable media was in one spot with the only con being half of my music was in mp3 format and the other half was in AAC. Not really a problem but I am a stickler for detail and would have really preferred to rip my library all at one time and into one format. Unfortunately, 4,000+ songs later, this isn't about to happen.

Then, one day not too long ago, my car was broken into and my iPod was stolen along with my GPS and a few other things. Luckily for me, my son also had a 30GB iPod and it was just sitting in a drawer as he had just bought an iPhone a couple of months before. So I made him an offer, plugged his iPod into my computer and resurrected my portable iTunes library.

A few weeks later, I decided to take the plunge and try an iPhone. Coming from Windows Mobile (and a short stint with BlackBerry), I had been hesitant due to my heavy reliance on business usage but after spending some time "playing" with my son's iPhone, I was convinced.

So, for the last couple of months I have been a happy iPhone user. And, I have put about 12GB of songs, movies and pictures on it for the times I don't have my iPod with me.

Now my dilemna is....my iPod is almost full, so I am thinking of buying an 80GB iPod Classic to replace it and give me lots of room for the expansion of my music library.

So what does everyone think? Deal or no deal!

Vincent Ferrari
11-10-2008, 06:36 PM
To put it bluntly, I haven't heard a whole lot of positive feedback about the classic. I know at least three people who bought it and regretted it later on. I guess if you're really into the idea of having a mass-storage iPod, it's your only option, but I don't advise it.

That's just me though, and I may be the only one that feels that way. ;)

Rick76
11-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Well, I have also heard some "rumblings" of unhappy Classic owners but I do not have a lot of details. Where do the problems lie? Is it with the hardware or software; or both?

I understand what you are saying...by having all your eggs in one basket if you have problems but everything IS backed up in iTunes. And I am not concerned with the smaller screen size as I rarely watch video on my iPod.

The bottom line is, you are correct in that I want the largest HD possible for my expanding library. This is the reason I moved to Apple in the first place...to aggregate all of my multimedia in one place.

Vincent Ferrari
11-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Well, I have also heard some "rumblings" of unhappy Classic owners but I do not have a lot of details. Where do the problems lie? Is it with the hardware or software; or both?

Mainly software-related. The new OS being used on the Classic is just a buggy mess from what I hear, and I've heard it from a lot more than one disgruntled customer.

The bottom line is, you are correct in that I want the largest HD possible for my expanding library. This is the reason I moved to Apple in the first place...to aggregate all of my multimedia in one place.

Then here's what you do: hang tight until Macworld '09. If nothing new comes along, then go for it. I would never buy something this close to MacWorld SF unless it was recently updated (hence why I bought my MacBook Pro two weeks after it came out).

Come back and let us know what you decide!

Rick76
11-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Roger that and good luck with your new endeavours! ;)