View Full Version : using a non Verizon phone on Verizon network

possmann
11-05-2008, 08:14 PM
OK - some time ago Verizon stated that they would allow activation of cell phones not purchased through verizon. Of course they say they won't support it and continue to say that access to special features (which I have never used) like Get is Now and the like will not be availble.

1. Has anyone done this yet? Care to share your experiences?

I called and talked to several people about this at Verizon - they all give me the party line. When I ask specifically about the CDMA network and MHz's I get fuzzy responses. I just can't seem to get to thye correct techical resources (ugh).

2. So is there a difference between CDMA and HSDPA/WCDMA?

I'm looking at the HTC Touch Diamond Pro and the HTC s740 at Expansys for US and both have: HSDPA/WCDMA 900/2100 MHz (and GSM/GPRS/EDGE: Quad-band 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz). Now that says for Europe and Asia but I seem to recall that the 900 MHz is also part of the Verizon CDMA network.

3. So if the phone is a HSDPA/WCDMA and also has GSM bands on it (like both of these phones do) could I, in theory, activate these on the Verizon network and will that phone grab whatever signal is strongest be it CDMA or GSM band?

Would love to hear the answers on this one. Verizon is the most reliable network I have used (used T-Mo, Sprint and USCell) but their phone selection sucks and they often limit what the phone can do - I am considering switching to AT&T only for the ability to be able to purchase cool phones like these and active/use them wherever.

Thoughts?

Pony99CA
11-05-2008, 11:09 PM
OK - some time ago Verizon stated that they would allow activation of cell phones not purchased through verizon. Of course they say they won't support it and continue to say that access to special features (which I have never used) like Get is Now and the like will not be availble.

1. Has anyone done this yet? Care to share your experiences?
Well before Verizon "opened" itself, I took an Alltel Motorola CDMA phone to my Verizon store and had them activate it. It didn't work, but I was able to get into the programming mode and change the parameters to get it to work.

2. So is there a difference between CDMA and HSDPA/WCDMA?
As far as I know, HSDPA is a GSM technology and not compatible with CDMA. Basically, if the phone has a SIM card, it won't work with Verizon. (There are limited exceptions, though. Verizon does sell a few "world phones" that accept SIM cards, but they only use GSM outside of the U.S./North America. I've heard that their GSM mode won't work in the U.S.)

W-CDMA is tricky. Even though it has CDMA in its acronym, it's not like your basic CDMA. Read Wikipedia's W-CDMA article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCDMA).

If you really want one, Sprint (and maybe Verizon) are supposed to be getting a CDMA Touch Pro (http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14143).

Steve

possmann
11-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks;
The more I read about this the more I am slowly (and painfully) coming to the conclusion that if I want the flexiblity to purchase new phones I should be looking at the GSM carriers (T-mo and ATT).
However if I want coverage and reliability here in the US the Verizon network really does seem to be the best.
UGH!:mad:

Pony99CA
11-06-2008, 11:22 PM
The more I read about this the more I am slowly (and painfully) coming to the conclusion that if I want the flexiblity to purchase new phones I should be looking at the GSM carriers (T-mo and ATT).
However if I want coverage and reliability here in the US the Verizon network really does seem to be the best.
UGH!:mad:
Yeah, SIM cards are very nice. I don't know why CDMA can't have SIM cards.

However, things may be changing. I've read that Verizon is going with Long Term Evolution (LTE) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Term_Evolution) for their 4G data services, which I think is a GSM technology. I wonder if that means Verizon will be weaning people off of CDMA eventually.

Steve

possmann
11-07-2008, 03:45 PM
actually I did a bit of wikipedia on upcoming netwrok technology and my (limited) research indicates that Verizon (and Sprint) are indeed persuing faster network technologies (4G) but those are still in competition (incompatible) with GSM (meaning the rest of the world).
I think I am going to consider heading over to ATT mid next year when my Verizon contract is up.

Brad Adrian
11-11-2008, 04:01 PM

Discussions about which carriers are better continue on and on. It really comes down to which carrier seems to be the best in YOUR location and in providing the services that YOU need. I've used AT&T for some time now and, at least in my location and for what I need, I've found it very reliable and strong.

possmann
11-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Yeah - you are correct. I like the flexibility of not being "locked" in to a particular phone model (so that means GSM) and I do take trips over to Europe (UK & Germany) for business and personal so again GSM...

Looks like I've made up my mind - now I'll just sit, watch and research the Quad-Band GSM deivces that are out between now and July 2009.