View Full Version : Microsoft Exchange Chief to Take Over Windows Mobile Development

Rocco Augusto
10-18-2008, 12:24 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9117378&source=rss_news' target='_blank'>http://www.computerworld.com/action...source=rss_news</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"The Microsoft Corp. executive who has overseen development of the company's popular Exchange communications server software for the past seven years will take over the reportedly troubled development of Windows Mobile. Terry Myerson will become corporate vice president of the mobile communications product group. The 11-year veteran replaces corporate vice president Todd Warren, who will stay on at Microsoft as corporate vice president of technical strategy, a spokeswoman said."</em><br /><br />The changing of the guards are always fun and I am very curious to see what kind of effect Terry Myerson will have over the development of the Windows Mobile platform. Not spending too much time working in a corporate environment such as Microsoft, I am not sure how common it is to just switch heads of departments like this in the middle of a major release for your mobile operating system. It wouldn't surprise me to find out things like this happen often though.</p>

peterawest
10-18-2008, 03:50 AM
No one can deny the success of Microsoft Exchange. So, I'm thrilled that someone who has a history of success is being brought into the mix.

I hope this is an indication that Microsoft wants to give the best chance of success to the project.

Personally, I've been a fan of Windows Mobile products from the very beginning, so it kills me to see other companies with far less resources seemingly passing up Microsoft. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come.

Eriq Cook
10-18-2008, 04:00 AM
I think this is great news. The main reason I've stuck with the Windows Mobile platform for so long (since WinCE 2) is because of its Outlook/Exchange integration, and overall communication features. Exchange is the best email/communication server platform and this switch should move things in better direction for the Windows Mobile team. The direction its been headed lately definitely needs it.

BevHoward
10-18-2008, 10:10 PM
reportedly troubled???

MadSci
10-19-2008, 04:09 AM
1) It's bad news, because it means that the WM Platform is in trouble (what!!!:p)

2) It's good news because even Microsoft can FINALLY see this and accurately asses that the WM 'leadership' is incapable of setting the proper priorities and fixing the problem(s):)

3) It's bad news because Exchange is a corporate-oriented product and those of us operating our phones without the benefit of a corporate IT structure will continue to be ignored by Microsoft:mad:

4) It's bad news because #3 is what has allowed the iPhone to eat WM's lunch so far, and an Exchange-oriented approach to the problem won't get to the heart of WM's problems

plus ca change...the more it remains messed up at Microsoft :(

Dodge
10-19-2008, 09:15 PM
I don't think it will have much impact at all. It certainly isn't going to expedite the already languishing release date for the next OS. It also means that they aren't going to be going nimble, by building and releasing micro projects since focus will be on enterprise development and will fit into major release only mode. They would be better off releasing the division to fend for itself so it could better deal with the competition out there, because as it stands now, they haven't the competition at all and continue to languish in the dust of others. I am seriously disappointed with how this has worked out, as my motto has been, if Microsoft is in the game, then play Microsoft because they will win out and you will have the top dog technology. My motto has failed recently, as they have been falling behind in all sorts of technology edges that they chose to play in. So if you aren't going to be the best, why be in the game at all? Can you tell I'm frustrated?