View Full Version : Inventing The Future, 2000-Style

Jason Dunn
10-13-2008, 04:32 PM
<p>I was posting about <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/news/show/90931/pocket-pc-thoughts-turns-eight-years-old.html" target="_blank">Pocket PC Thoughts' 8th anniversary today</a>, and courtesy of Archive.org - I'm so grateful those guys do what they do - I saw this post I made back in October of 2000:</p><p><em>"Imagine a digital camera running Windows CE. Imagine snapping pictures and having them automatically emailed to you via a Bluetooth chip on the camera that talks to your cell phone on your hip. Storage becomes a thing of the past - the CF card in the camera is more of a buffer for your cell phone than anything else. Or imagine having a built-in FTP program that would automatically push your images up to a web site as you're shooting them - real-time photography and events coverage could usher in a new era of photo journalism. Raw, unedited, up to the second coverage. Imagine having Pocket Artist on your camera - you could crop, edit, and tweak your images before uploading/emailing them. The possibilities are so endless here - if anyone has any upper-management contacts with Kodak, Olymus, Nikon, or any other major digital camera OEM, tell them I want to speak to them."</em></p><p>I thought that was interesting for a couple of reasons. First, because eight years later, we still don't have cameras with rich operating systems supporting third-party software applications for - although we do have some cameras that can do WiFi directly off the camera itself, and of course we have hardware such as the <a href="http://www.eye.fi/" target="_blank">Eye-Fi</a>. We have some DSLRs with expensive add-ons to provide WiFi, but virtually no cameras that bridge into PDAs or smartphones. <MORE /></p><p>WiFi is great, but only if you're within range of a WiFi network. Why, in 2008, are there still no cameras that tap into the cellular network using our smartphones to upload images? Bluetooth is the most logical way to do this, and while I often find Bluetooth to be a bit of nightmare, when it's implemented properly it can work really well. Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR gives us about 3 mbps, which is fast enough to upload a 3 MB image in about eight seconds (theoretically at least). That's enough speed to make it viable, and in this era of social networking and instant broadcasting of content, there'd certainly be a demand for real-time photo galleries on Facebook, MySpace, and personal blogs. So why isn't anyone doing this?</p>

Lee Yuan Sheng
10-14-2008, 03:23 AM
Probably no demand from the professional section of the market, and the consumer side is too busy thinking of ways to stuff even more megapixels into their cameras.

Pony99CA
10-14-2008, 04:41 AM
Why, in 2008, are there still no cameras that tap into the cellular network using our smartphones to upload images?
Concord made Bluetooth digital cameras back in 2004, and, according to About.com (http://cameras.about.com/cs/digitalcamera1/gr/concordeyeq.htm), they could upload photos using your phone (although other places said they could only beam photos to another device).

I read that they weren't very good, though.

Steve

Pony99CA
10-14-2008, 04:43 AM
Probably no demand from the professional section of the market[....]
Actually, I suspect professional photojournalists would love something like that.

It probably wouldn't be as useful in professional portrait or event work, though. Those professionals probably want to edit their photos before posting them.

Steve

Lee Yuan Sheng
10-14-2008, 05:09 AM
PJs do edit their photos. It's usually a simple crop. Either way it goes through a computer (usually a notebook). Plus 3G is a battery sucker and I don't think PJs want the camera any bigger (handled one of Kodak's old DCS cameras before, it's no fun out in the field, I tell you). Maybe when the hardware gets better. Or maybe not. The PJ industry isn't getting bigger, if you ask me. Ask any PJ today and I think stories of downsizing photo departments are not uncommon. I doubt a (relatively) small market is going to provide much impetus for the camera manufacturers to include such hardware.

I believe it's more likely to happen in the consumer space, but like I mentioned, the hardware doesn't seem to be there yet.