View Full Version : Zune 3.0 Killed My Device

Paradox Lynx
09-27-2008, 04:44 AM
I'm in bit of a difficult situation regarding the new Zune 3.0 firmware. I live in New Zealand where the Zune is not for sale in shops and I bought my device second-hand on Trademe, an internet auction site similar to E-Bay. Up until now I've been really happy with my 30Gb Zune player, I've gotten quite used to the software and I like the functions it has. Until the new update, it's been really stable too, I think it's only crashed one or two times which for a Microsoft product is pretty decent, better than my PC and my Xbox 360!

The other day I saw update 3.0 was available so I downloaded and installed it. It had games and stuff which was quite a cool leap forward and it looked rather promising. However, after disconnecting my device, I only managed to play one song before the device froze up as I selected another song. Using the Up+Back emergency reset brought it back to life when reconnecting it to the PC failed to have any effect or to even detect the player.

I assumed this was a one-off, but since then my device has been incredibly unstable, locking up in the same fashion, I'd say at least one in every three times I try to play a song. I haven't tried the games much, but the one time I did play Hexic, it crashed midway through.

So far I've been very unimpressed with the damage this update has done to my trusty Zune. Customer support for someone outside America/Canada is the epitome of crap, as the only two methods of contacting support are an American phone line and an online support forum which just tells me "Sorry this service is unavailable in your location" whenever I try to log on or create a profile, which is basically just adding insult to injury.

Is anyone else getting these same problems, or better still, does anyone know what can be done to fix it? I've looked about for a way to downgrade to the old firmware but I can't seem to find one. As a last resort, is there a way to format the device completely and then reinstall all the updates and music onto it. Would that even work?

Kaz
09-27-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm having the same problem with my Zune 30 as well.

Same as you, it only crashed a few times in the last year, and once I put 3.0 on it, I'm lucky if it'll play more than one song. If it's playing through a playlist or shuffle, it's fine, but if I'm browsing tracks, the second I push play, it freezes! :mad:

I found how to reset the firmware a long time ago, but can't find the site now. :(
I'll post any information here if I find it.

Jason Dunn
09-27-2008, 10:36 PM
I found how to reset the firmware a long time ago, but can't find the site now. :( I'll post any information here if I find it.

You should try hard resetting it to restore the original firmware, then updating it again.

Instructions on how to hard reset here:

http://onlydarksets.wordpress.com/2008/02/05/hard-reset-for-the-zune/

Kaz
09-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the info, if needed I'll end up doing it... but!

The 3.0 update automatically turns on wireless, and I paid no attention to it. To save battery life, I turned it off.. and guess what?! I've used every other feature without trouble, and no crashing in over 4 hours!

Hope this helps!

I also hope Microsoft fixes it, as I'd actually like to use the new wireless features.

Paradox Lynx
09-29-2008, 01:34 AM
You should try hard resetting it to restore the original firmware, then updating it again.

Thanks very much for the suggestion, I'll certainly give this a try!:)

Kaz
09-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks very much for the suggestion, I'll certainly give this a try!:)
Please let me know how it goes as if it fixes the issue, and you're able to use wireless, then I'll give it a go as well.

Paradox Lynx
10-06-2008, 02:03 AM
Please let me know how it goes as if it fixes the issue, and you're able to use wireless, then I'll give it a go as well.

Nah, wireless is off, I've tried a hard reset and the problem's still there. I'm going to uninstall the firmware off my computer, get an older copy of it, do another hard reset and hope that takes it back to a state where it will actually work.:(

jaysinface42
10-12-2008, 08:17 PM
I installed 3.0 yesterday. I added 2 new albums to my Zune. I was driving in my car and playing it for about 30 minutes when I decided to change songs when scrolled to another album and song it just froze up but the screen was still light and the music was still playing. I didnt know what to do so I pressed the play/pause button and then held it down until the device shut off. It wont power back on now. It is completely dead. The strange thing is that when I plug it into my computer device manager detects it but the zune software does not. Now I am sure I am going to have to have it sent off to get fixed because I bought it at Fry's and they don't have any type of replacement plan.

Jason Dunn
10-13-2008, 07:00 AM
I didnt know what to do so I pressed the play/pause button and then held it down until the device shut off. It wont power back on now. It is completely dead. The strange thing is that when I plug it into my computer device manager detects it but the zune software does not.

First, have you tried rebooting it? What about a hard reset? You should try both...