View Full Version : HTC Diamond: The odd US version differences

randalllewis
09-26-2008, 11:32 PM
As the owner of two HTC Diamonds, I am fully qualifed to speak the differences between the UK and US versions of this device; for what it's worth.

I have been using the UK version since it was released. I've updated its ROM with the two official updates HTC has released since June. The latest is 1.93.401 WWE. This ROM added support for the 850 radio band (but not at 3G speed), resolved the lag issues that some users initially complained about, fixed a problem that made selecting cities for the weather feature a royal pain, and a few other minor issues. The initial US ROM is based on this version and is 1.93.422 WWE.

The US version does allow 3G service and that was my reason for purcahsing the second phone. Having Wifi is great, but using the web at 3G speeds without needing to head to the nearest coffee shop is a real plus.

I've noticed other little changes to the US version. Some of these have been commented on in reviews, but others have not. Some are hardware related, others software. Some are packaging. The bottom line of all the differences is the Diamond is still a great looking and highly functional smartphone, yet just a bit of the glitz of the first version has been removed.

Here are changes I've noticed in the US version, in no particular order:

-no front facing camera
-bigger battery in both power (1350) and physical size
-battery cover is matte rather than gloss finish
-camera opening on back cover is much larger
-power supply is universal with interchangeable prongs but UK version has a glowing HTC logo on it; US does not
-home screen contrast has been set somewhat lighter (and can't be adjusted without internal tweaks)
-no FM radio feature
-MP3 Trimmer program not included
-World Card (business card scanner) included
-US box is square, not trapezoidal, though still presents a nice package
-Most documentation is printed on lower quality paper stock
-Google Maps included

I've seen some posted complaints about the screen contrast and some issues with US versions having screens that produce yellow spots near the bottom edge. I haven't seen the yellow spot problem and I don't think anyone would even have noticed the contrast issue except that there are lots of people like me in the US who purchsed the UK version and can compare them. Photos I've seen online about this issue appear to have either been faked or poorly taken because they greatly exaggerate the difference. Again, you wouldn't notice it if if you didn't have something to compare it to. That said, I don't know why contrast shouldn't be easily user adjustable. Screen brightness is adjustable, but this is a contrast issue, not brightness.

I like my Diamond(s) and because the US and UK batteries and battery covers are interchangeable, I plan to use the smaller battery as a backup.