View Full Version : HTC Dream Cleared by FCC

Jon Westfall
08-21-2008, 10:43 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/18/htc-dream-fcc-approved-android-clear-for-launch/' target='_blank'>http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/18/...ear-for-launch/</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"The long rumored HTC Dream handset -- once referred to as "The Googlephone" -- just received FCC approval. The handset is listed as type, "Dream" with a model of "DREA100." The same model also appears with a WiFi Interoperability Certificate touting 802.11b/g WiFi. If indeed this is the long awaited Android phone, then T-Mobile, HTC, and Google are free to announce in September with an October launch as originally planned"</em></p><p>So of course since the launch has been announced, one would hope that the FCC approval is done - and it is. Why post this then? Well because I don't think you've heard quite enough about the Dream yet, and this whole Android thing. Or perhaps you have... Maybe it's time to stop hyping this device. Thoughts?</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

benjimen
08-22-2008, 08:04 AM
You shoulda just provided links to the other sites that put this info out days ago. TMOnews.com, Engadget, etc...

virain
08-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Yeah, this news were out for a few days already. And yes I do think this "Dream" is not what I dream about. Let's start with connection: GSM/EDGE 850/1900 mHz, UMTC 1700 mHz. No European bands? Forget about world travel with this thing! USA only! It seems it will have GPS, but no turn by turn software? If you look at the catalog of available apps, (50 or so), all pretty much are the same, with few exceptions. nothing useful. IMHO, the reason to have a smartphone, is to use it beyond simple talk/ video/photo/music/web functions. Any dumb phone can do that this days. You have to be able to use it for specific tasks that can be associated with business, leisure, hobby, etc. That would require 3rd party apps., apps that design to fulfill your specific needs in one particular situation. So for this "Dream" to mature and become "smart", it has to develop strong 3rd party apps market and that takes time! Just look at that iPhone thing! All that App. store and all the apps are pretty much the same! You just can't help not to think that all those developers just take the same code, change graphics a little, airbrush it so to speak, and try to sell it as new and original! and it's been more then 1 year since that Apple's thing hit stores! I yet to see good traveling Apps, that can compete with SPB Travel, or TravelMate, Financial again refer to SPB, etc. So call me on this "Dream" in a couple of years, it is not as closed platform as that iThing, so hopefully we will see something good sooner. But for now I stick with WM! Last time I've heard SE Experia X1 should be out October 10th ;)

joker
08-26-2008, 09:35 AM
I highly doubt it will be ready by October.
They just published almost non-functional Android betas.

Or maybe they will place it as a hacker's phone. Deployed nudely, to be filled up by the hacker.